Smoking and Stalking

pierred

I have searched and read the previous posts with great interest, I personally am a smoker and do have a reasonable success rate when out Stalking just wondered how other smokers get on and what the general views on Smoking when out stalking were.
Over to the board

Pierre

Ive been packed up a month and all my bucks seem to have gone on holiday since. Perhaps they enjoyed the smell of royals:lol: Might buy 20 on the way up to the farm tonight!! Seriously though i cant imagine a deer being detered by cigarette smoke just another smell to them.

ATB Steve

Pierre, There has been a couple of times at the end of a stalk when I've relaxed, and had a smoke break that the deer have appeared broad side! Needless to say I changed the focal point of my concentration pretty quickly!

Watch out when your glassing with your binos though, potentially you could get a pretty painful burn on your eyebrow! :lol:

Pierre

Ive been packed up a month and all my bucks seem to have gone on holiday since. Perhaps they enjoyed the smell of royals:lol: Might buy 20 on the way up to the farm tonight!! Seriously though i cant imagine a deer being detered by cigarette smoke just another smell to them.

ATB Steve
Thats the way I look at it Steve + plus ive given up and started again so many times ive now given up on giving up the deer dont seem to mind either way,as for your lack of bucks at the moment give it a week or so and they should be back in action with the rut in full swing, any signs of stands on your patch yet?

Pierre, There has been a couple of times at the end of a stalk when I've relaxed, and had a smoke break that the deer have appeared broad side! Needless to say I changed the focal point of my concentration pretty quickly!

Watch out when your glassing with your binos though, potentially you could get a pretty painful burn on your eyebrow! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up but I treat them better than my wife being new and costing me a kings ransom ( you could apply that to either ) and I also do not smoke around any of her bits that may come into contact with my face for the same reason you drew my attention to.:lol:

PS nice choice of caliber I am soon to join the club when my build is complete fingers crossed just waiting for the barrel to come into the country then its down to Mr McKillop to work his magic.

Smoking doesn't affect stalking at all,i quite often have a fag on a stalk in and have now mastered shooting with fag in gob both rifles and shotgun but if the winds in the wrong direction even if you smell of roses your'e going to be sussed,i keep trying to give up but i'm crap no will power whatsoever :D.

Smoking doesn't affect stalking at all,i quite often have a fag on a stalk in and have now mastered shooting with fag in gob both rifles and shotgun but if the winds in the wrong direction even if you smell of roses your'e going to be sussed,i keep trying to give up but i'm crap no will power whatsoever :D.
It took a while for this to be added didn't it.
In the early days of Stalking tests that used to be one of the questions and the answer was that it made no difference as you should always stalk into the wind or the smell would be above the scent line if in a high seat.
Then it got a bit technical so was probably dropped as it would make all the difference if you were stalking a woodland with glades and 'swirly' winds or if the wind changed suddenly etc etc.

I sat in a highseat a couple of nights ago watching 2 spikers (well 1 now actually :D) and 2 hinds and they came to within 40 mtrs of me whilst I was having a smoke. They can smell your armpits and feet long before they can smell tobacco smoke. Admittedly the wind was in my favour.

Rocky

Red dot your hundred % correct ban it Ive seen 3 people die of smoking related lung cancer in the last 5 years ,the question being would you put a five pound note in you month and set fire to it easy answer NO .

The stalking and smoking yes it makes a difference two things the wind turns the smell blows wherever ,secondly if your smoking your not concentrating on what your there to do , one bit of fag end and the moor of forest is gone along with your stalking .

Keep your smoking for your house learn to enjoy painting it every year ,think about the colour inside your lung whilst your painting

Go on then argue with it only the truth

hi,

when i stand down wind of smokers i feel ill, when i am sitting in the company of a smoker whom has just finished one i feel ill with the smell.
imho it will make a difference and the only reason you dont realise it is cos the deer has already gone before you seen it.

Ban it today yuck, filthy habit.

two year off them and counting.

atb f.

sure I read somewhere" if a deer smells your smoke he will have smelt you! So it doesn`t matter from that point of view" think it was in a book called roe deer, their management and stalking by some bloke called Prior? the guy seems to know a bit about deer too:lol:

PS nice choice of caliber I am soon to join the club
I know it's a popular chambering on here, I think we would be surprised if we knew just how many people use it.

Go on then argue with it only the truth
OK, The revenue from smokers pays for the whole of the NHS

hi,

when i stand down wind of smokers i feel ill
This is why I do a considerate little shuffle when I am with non smokers, to ensure I am blowing smoke down wind from them.

I know it's a popular chambering on here, I think we would be surprised if we knew just how many people use it.

OK, The revenue from smokers pays for the whole of the NHS

This is why I do a considerate little shuffle when I am with non smokers, to ensure I am blowing smoke down wind from them.

Danny don't even got there with me keep that for those Dumfriesshire rednecks , I spent to much time laying in hospital with cancer to read that Piiiiisssh, I take it the taxes the non smokes pay it don't count, only a idiot would put up wards of a five pound note in the mouth and set fire to it .

For one that is so frugal with there cash that must make you a idiot then ,anything to do with smoking I will argue the point every time ,had you watched my mother who smoked for 60+ years die of lung cancer which took 6 months ,you wouldn't even talk or type, what you have ,had you seen it or had to watch it happen just may have led to a more mature answer to this posting .

It was horrendous to watch, someone gasp for every breath .

Your last comment mmmmm I'll treat that with the contempt that it is due .

A robust post Widows Son, I wouldn't expect anything less.
Everything in life has the potential to be dangerous, going to work in the morning, starting a chainsaw or gralloching a beast.
I don't let the dangerous things in life have too much bearing, or I wouldn't leave the house.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

A dirty filthy habit and it should be banned....:D

Red-Dot,
"Dirty filthy" Take a look in the mirror (it's in your shopping trolley) dude, at least a fag would cloud that 'unique" face of yours haha.

Is that Tennants Extra in your hand or Special Brew, I stick to Barley Wine myself it's the connoisseur's choice of the down and out :D

A robust post Widows Son, I wouldn't expect anything less.
Everything in life has the potential to be dangerous, going to work in the morning, starting a chainsaw or gralloching a beast.
I don't let the dangerous things in life have too much bearing, or I wouldn't leave the house.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

I couldn't expect any other type of answer from a smoker they are always right when it comes to any smoking related conversation .

Granted there are many other hazards in lifes daily toil sort to point out smoking is far from a hazard people know what they are doing is not good for them or anyone around them but are that addicted to it they can't stop no better than the drug addict on the street near by .

Think Danny look at the packet read the warning signs listen to people we can't all be wrong it that simple ,now I could answer every post with the said same attitude , I don't like what it does to people or the environment ,but smokers are always right and health workers and non smokers won't change that..that simple Danny your a addict you may not think that but you and people like you are .

As an ex smoker, 20+ years since leaving them be, I am fully qualified to join in here, I can usually smell a smoker around twenty feet away, I used to hang my clothes outside after going to the pub since having packed them in, I attribute some of my heart damage to tobacco, I also feel for those who can't shake off this disgusting habit, they are really just helpless in the grip of this stuff!, I remember going to the pub one christmas six weeks into abstinence, one whiff of that cigar & I was done for!............ still we all have something that is considered bad for you, I just have to get a grip on the three 'B's now! BEER,BUTTER,BREAD!

"They are really just helpless in the grip of this stuff"
We hear time and time again about no willpower etc but how many have really tried and pushed their resolve to the limit?
I always thought i had no willpower, now i am three and a half years smoke free.
You can do it.
basil.

Back