New scope decisions

Which scope

• Total voters

stig

2 questions I'm pondering:

1) Which scope would you go for... hence the poll above?
2) Is there a significant difference between 1" and 30mm? I have 1" rings already and it would save a few pennies not to fork out for new rings.

Thanks,

Stig

...no poll active my friend.....

The difference between 25mm and 30mm will largely be the amount of movement you can get for windage and elevation in your reticle. Nothing noticable in the amount of light getting to your eye...

Last edited:
Got to be honest, there's nothing to separate these scopes in general. All premium glass manufacturers and you won't be sorry with any of them.
My three defining choices at this point would then be: parallax correction (I don't think any of these have AO?), choice of reticle (style and whether illuminated) and price.

If pressed on these - Swarovski. Why? I have their glass already and so know what to expect. Customer service second to none. Resale value - excellent.

and price

They're all a smidgeon under a grand apart from the Duralyte... and I just can't help thinking the Duralyte might be as good for my needs and thus why waste an extra £400 (or could get an illuminated ret Duralyte - but I've never used or necessarily wanted one)

Stig, I suggested the 42mm Z6 just because Gregor has them at the right price. I bought a 2-12x50 from him last year in the same spec for around £950, I would have suggested that but he has none left. I might buy one of those 42's some of these days myself.

For a general purpose stalking scope, the 42mm Z6 will be excellent, keep the mag at around 7x and it will be more than good enough for any woodland or low light stalking, and a country mile better than a Leupold. It will also be much lighter than the S&B or the Zeiss and leave your rifle with better handling characteristics.

The Swaro Z3 and the Duralyt are lesser scopes, with all respect to anyone who owns one, if you are going to spend that sort of dough, get your money's worth.

Stig, I suggested the 42mm Z6 just because Gregor has them at the right price. I bought a 2-12x50 from him last year in the same spec for around £950, I would have suggested that but he has none left. I might buy one of those 42's some of these days myself.

For a general purpose stalking scope, the 42mm Z6 will be excellent, keep the mag at around 7x and it will be more than good enough for any woodland or low light stalking, and a country mile better than a Leupold. It will also be much lighter than the S&B or the Zeiss and leave your rifle with better handling characteristics.

The Swaro Z3 and the Duralyt are lesser scopes, with all respect to anyone who owns one, if you are going to spend that sort of dough, get your money's worth.

or just buy a 6x42 S&B hungary for £400 ish:D

or just buy a 6x42 S&B hungary for £400 ish:D

Last time I was out and shot a munty it was at about 15m from the highseat and had to wind the mag away down to 3x so I'd rather the variable

Good advice again from C_D... or just get a 6x42 fixed power from one of the top three and keep even more of your money.

Stig, hadn't noticed those 3-12x50's should be PV models and a good buy at £899. If you feel you need a 50mm scope, go for them, I do like the smaller Z6's though.

Just watch out, a lot of those scope have odd reticals and require rail mounts. You could buy an expensive mistake. The scopes with higher than 12x mag's have side parallax and are a bolloc#s for hunting with.

I bought the Zeiss Duralyt for my new Sauer. I was so impressed I bought another for my Savage. Great scope at a good price.

Last edited:
2 questions I'm pondering:

1) Which scope would you go for... hence the poll above?
2) Is there a significant difference between 1" and 30mm? I have 1" rings already and it would save a few pennies not to fork out for new rings.

Thanks,

Stig

For stalking, there is no benefit in going 30mm. All you sacrifice is the range of adjustment, which for stalking you won't need.
Duralyt for me, for the price it's excellent value.

I dont know why the Minox I have for sale in the classified section not included in the poll. :rolleyes:

Back