crown cleaning

bobjs

Right i had a lad pop in to meet me tonight and he asked if i could have a look at the crown on his 222,

Foo kin l, i have never seen a crown with so much carbon on it as this, and he wanted to know why he was not getting a tight group,

so i had to clean it off,

now before i tell you what i did,

what do you use to clean a crown with, we have not been able to shoot it as he had to go to work and i have bad weather like the rest of the southwest of the country

bob.

Last edited:
i just wipe it over with a clothe with some solvent on it after doing the barrel , but it never looks dirty

KG1 (or whatever number the carbon one is!)
couple of drops. leave for a minute, wipe off.
shiny and new

I never have a problem, I just keep everything scrupulously clean after use. Ok I know that many prefer to shoot with some fouling in the barrel but I cannot bring myself to store a gun with essentially corrosive and abrasive compounds in the barrel, and anyway it is simple enough to fire a shot or two before departing on a shooting trip.

I have a recessed crown on one of my rifles, i had'nt noticed ,but had a build up of carbon,i carefully chipped it off with a small spikey dental tool i have, did it under a magnifier and it came off in small flakes. Cant help thinking that the recess acts like a carbon trap between the crown and the mod...

I owuldnt have thought dental tools and crowns go together.
prefer the solvent abuse method myself.

I dont get it on any of the unmoderated ones for the obvious reason, but a good session on the range will leave enough carbon to require a solvent to remove.
the odd shot here and there wont bake it on enough and it tends to wipe off with your finger tip

I owuldnt have thought dental tools and crowns go together.
prefer the solvent abuse method myself.

I dont get it on any of the unmoderated ones for the obvious reason, but a good session on the range will leave enough carbon to require a solvent to remove.
the odd shot here and there wont bake it on enough and it tends to wipe off with your finger tip

Im well aware of the sensitivity of a rifle crown, hence the use of the manifier, said rifle shoots .1s so no harm done;)

I'm still waiting to see how Bobj did it. The suspense is killing me.~Muir

maybe he recrowned it based on larry potterfields midway usa utube instructional, rasp, then sandpaper, then a round-headed screw in an electric drill...LOL - good, won't be trying that on my rifles!!!

I personally I dont clean rifles thats mens work:D

But when I have my Man clean it for me he uses KG carbon remover and Scotchbrite to remove the carbon from the crown.

well lads it was that bad i had to do it like this,

well i had to clean it with solvent and one of those green scour pads that the wife gets, you know the ones, they would take the skin off you if you fell on it. :( when i got that crown and i mean a crown of crud off, the rifle crown looked to be very badly pitted.

so

i have a small 6" plank of hard wood about 20" long with a groove in the centre of it,then i used a ball bearing and some fine valve grinding paste on it and the grove in the wood,

place the crown of the barrel on the ball bearing and slid it up and down the wood until the crown was clean and pit free,

PS: the reason for using the ball bearing is no matter what angle you hold the crown on to it it will always be the same ( as long as the ball bearing is also in order)

job done, the lad tells me it shoots better than it ever did,

so another lad sorted with one more to come next week with a broken trigger and a scope that runs out of elevation :)

bob.

Back