high seats

Hi guys
im thinking of making some high seats out of wood, ive got about £100 to spend, hoping to make 2 or 3 at a push. would you guys have any
designs, tips or tricks you could share? i think ive got a idea of what i want, its just getting dimentions together and timber sizes.
cheers in advance
martyn

I put a design up on our web site.

The gun rail is at the lowest level you would want so most would want to raise it by 100 - 150mm which is easily done with a couple of 4 X 4 blocks

http://www.dagse.co.uk/resources/designing-a-high-seat/

1.2 wide is the optimum to minamise materials wastage (1.2 X 2.4 sheet material and 3.6m timber lengths)

Fortunatly its also a very comfortable width for two people but ensure you asemble on site because its a heavy old lump

These high seats are very comfortable and I often sit in them 4 hours +

Dont forget the esential coffie fags and bino shelf :D Its just not a Chasey seat without one :D

ATB

Mark

Here is what we do with softwood feet. Old oil/creosote mix in pots, soaks 200mm up the grain and as there are pads underneath it will not leech into the soil.
Martin
Feet protection.JPG

Hi guys
im thinking of making some high seats out of wood, ive got about £100 to spend, hoping to make 2 or 3 at a push. would you guys have any
designs, tips or tricks you could share? i think ive got a idea of what i want, its just getting dimentions together and timber sizes.
cheers in advance
martyn
High-Seat-design-2.jpg

depending on the length of time you want to keep them and the weight of the occupants i suggest that you use some galvanised wire to reinforce all the rungs galvanised wire and staples just like old wooden industrial ladders depending on the location and access of others beware of other people getting access and the dreaded health and safety problems i have a friend who lost his stalking through ignorance of modern business and legal practise

DSC_0061.jpg
Hi Martin,
This is made from 4.8mt lengths of 4x2 and 2x2.
The box is made from fencing lengths and the total including Ronseal(after the picture was taken)
was about £90.
Hope the picture is self explanatory.
All the best
Alan

Hi guys
cheers in advance
martyn

If you are buying new treated pine wood, and galvanised bugle screws it is not possible to make three 2 or 3 free standing high seats for 100 pounds unless you have a wood merchant that offers unbelievable prices. If you are making a lean to type unit and can bolt it to the tree without buying a ratchet strap you maybe able to get build two, with a rail support, possibly three without some 2.7m to the top of the footing. I prefer the rail support as you don't have to shoot offhand or crossed legs plus it acts as a safety barrier making it harder to fall out of.

I put a design up on our web site.

The gun rail is at the lowest level you would want so most would want to raise it by 100 - 150mm which is easily done with a couple of 4 X 4 blocks

http://www.dagse.co.uk/resources/designing-a-high-seat/

1.2 wide is the optimum to minamise materials wastage (1.2 X 2.4 sheet material and 3.6m timber lengths)

Fortunatly its also a very comfortable width for two people but ensure you asemble on site because its a heavy old lump

These high seats are very comfortable and I often sit in them 4 hours +

Dont forget the esential coffie fags and bino shelf :D Its just not a Chasey seat without one :D

ATB

Mark

Hi Mark,
I've had a quick look at your website. Everyone circumstances are different I've built about 30 now from lean to, free standing and tree supported. If you have a small car, and you are by yourself and you have to carry the timber, screws, drills and workbag yourself a mile into a forest, support 150kg for 2 year service life and make it for 30 pounds then the designs will have to be different. For a single person seat I've found that 600mm width is optimal. it allows both elbows to be supported when shooting off the rail and allows both hands to grab the rails when you want to stand and turn around on the footing to shoot behind the seat.

I agree that a lot of designs neither have the costs, ease of transport included in the description. Half ones I see here or in Germany require a tractor or a truck to drive along a paddock to drop the wood off or use as a support to build. I have none of that, mine are built in the forest, or carried into the forest with two people. Therefore every part must be under 15kg and navigatible through thick forest.

Hope this helps the OP because we must assume that the resources we have, the OP does not.

ATB
Chuck

I'm not sure why people design the stands with vertical access. If you slip you will fall backwards. All my designs have a ladder access sloping forward at 75 degrees. This also makes it possible to climb with one hand if necessary.

the advantage of a vertical ladder it does not take up space on headlands, i am 70 years of age and i can climb up and down easily it is much easier to climb up the inside of the ladder and sit down rather than trying to duck under the shooting rail and turn around we have a rope dangling from our seats so you can pull your rifle up and your kit bag,

the advantage of a vertical ladder it does not take up space on headlands, i am 70 years of age and i can climb up and down easily it is much easier to climb up the inside of the ladder and sit down rather than trying to duck under the shooting rail and turn around we have a rope dangling from our seats so you can pull your rifle up and your kit bag,

geoffrey, I don't agree with your argument... You are comparing your vertical seat access with the the tight turnaround on those little portable high seats ,which are great for being just that, small and portable and good for what they were designed..

The high seats I flagged have no such restriction, easily accessed and plenty room for your gear and bacon butties for a long days crop protection.
They were presented in the basc magazine about six years ago as a good design and that's exactly what they are, a good, safe comfortable design..Good luck with your vertical access bty,I am not in business selling them, purely DIY to meet a need....

All mine have a rake on the ladder which comes from a working angle which was easy to get, being a son of a builder I've have had more than my fair share of ladder work with hods full of bricks and muck to know what is right or wrong.

The thing which most shop brought seats fail on are rail height too low, last ladder rung too high/low and no elbow support.

As an engineer I despair at what people put up with, more to the point what people put there paying guests in.......

Tim.243

Spot on Tim. Rail too low, no elbow support adds up to a poor shot. I personally like all my stands so I can safely stand and shoot behind. I also don't like pulling anything up with a rope. The pack and rifle can get heavy and unwieldy. Pulling it up with thin rope can cut the fingers. I've pulled my fair share up my lone wolf assault hang on.
I would like more debate on the design because every per sons circumstances are different.

Hi Highlandjohns

i have built highseat with angled ladders all 4ft wide, both in steel and wood, but i still think the vertical ladder is the best so far, we have probably a dozen of them out at the moment and i am often told they are the most comfortable seats that clients have sat in, i am not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about the benefits of angled versus vertical ladders, this post was about highseat design and i have added my penny worth.

This design of mine is exactly how I sit in a chair in an office at work. The space for my backside, how my legs sit out front is all in proportion. The shooting rail is high enough to prevent me falling out and the right height to rest on. The distance is the right gap to allow me to climb up with a pack and not catch on the back. I can then step from the ladder to the footing with both hands on the safety rail, hang my rifle and pack off protruding screws on the side and sit down. I just reverse the procedure to come down. By having the structure 600mm wide, it also allows you to place your rifle quite comfortably across the shooting rail and use the binos. I'm not sure what you mean about taking space on the headlands.

Hi Highlandjohns

i have built highseat with angled ladders all 4ft wide, both in steel and wood, but i still think the vertical ladder is the best so far, we have probably a dozen of them out at the moment and i am often told they are the most comfortable seats that clients have sat in, i am not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about the benefits of angled versus vertical ladders, this post was about highseat design and i have added my penny worth.

geoffery, :thumb:difference of opinion,no argument..

Made from a pallet as the seat, fence rails and some planks, screws, nails and coach bolts, probably cost me £20. After the video was made I added a central upright to the ladder section, comfortably (and safely) sits two, or gives a single rifle lots of room to adjust position

Last edited:
Nice Akeld. If you have access to pallets it can be cheap, although I'd be careful about splinters in the arse. Were you using big coach screws because they were available or you think you needed them for the weight?

Nice Akeld. If you have access to pallets it can be cheap, although I'd be careful about splinters in the arse. Were you using big coach screws because they were available or you think you needed them for the weight?

They were available, but also I feel a bit reassured with them at key positions

Back