remember to spot your dogs

News to me... what are ticks, do they sting, are they native to UK, are they like wasps? 40 years of hunting and stalking and i am surprised no-one on here know of them!!! Oh my God.

My dogs are groomed daily and checked for ticks at the same time. I use Front Line to prevent ticks which is applied every three months.

Mulac

News to me... what are ticks, do they sting, are they native to UK, are they like wasps? 40 years of hunting and stalking and i am surprised no-one on here know of them!!! Oh my God.

I'm told they spread Limey's disease (or something like that) and gave rise to the nickname of the inferior part of the United Kingdom of Scotland and all her dominions, under King James the vi, as was.

I have Googled "Ticks" and it says they are blood sucking parasites that cause nausea and tiredness.... I then Googled "women" and it came up with the same description.

I have Googled "Ticks" and it says they are blood sucking parasites that cause nausea and tiredness.... I then Googled "women" and it came up with the same description.
The difference is ticks drop off after about 4 days when finished feeding,women keep going until the victim hits them with something called a decree absolute at this time they let go.If there is no decree absolute available, then I am afraid they only release on the death of the host.:scared:

Have a read gents they really are nasty little buggers and can leave you paralysed,blind all sorts the woman who runs the charity was left in a wheel chair by lymes disease I saw the at the cla game fair a few years ago not nice at all http://www.bada-uk.org/

The difference is ticks drop off after about 4 days when finished feeding,women keep going until the victim hits them with something called a decree absolute at this time they let go.If there is no decree absolute available, then I am afraid they only release on the death of the host.:scared:

or you use the same gizmo I use ('The Trix Tick Lasso') and follow the instructions:

1. Press down the loop and put it over the tick, as close to the skin as possible.
2. Let go of the button and tilt the tick remover perpendicularly against the skin.
3. Keep the green tip against the skin and twist it 360 degrees between your fingers.
4. Lift away.

Works on all bloodsucking parasites... :D

Knots

Have a read gents they really are nasty little buggers and can leave you paralysed,blind all sorts the woman who runs the charity was left in a wheel chair by lymes disease I saw the at the cla game fair a few years ago not nice at all http://www.bada-uk.org/

Think the same lady was at a local game fair and I bought a set of tick removers after talking to her , even though I have never seen a tick on me or a dog in 27 yrs of owning dogs, keep them in the pocket of my tool box sorry hunting coat

Think the same lady was at a local game fair and I bought a set of tick removers after talking to her , even though I have never seen a tick on me or a dog in 27 yrs of owning dogs, keep them in the pocket of my tool box sorry hunting coat

Yep I'm sure what she had would have been the o'tom tick twister best thing you can use to remove ticks end of I have had a few myself and used it I take roughly 4-6 a week off my 4 dogs so have a lot of experience in them
http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Yes I went through most styles until I found the O'Tom version, just brilliantly effective. I have not had a failure with them yet, whereas 15-20% of the ticks did not come out cleanly with the tweezers, loops and Stainless forks I tried before.

My little Springer seems to be a tick magnet, she had 27 on her after a week in Arran wandering around. Quite often she has a few if we go any where near a sheep field around here.

The big trick as shown on the video on O'Tom site is to just twist and overcome the urge to pull them off. The BBC article linked in the OP gets it wrong by saying pull.

Yes I went through most styles until I found the O'Tom version, just brilliantly effective. I have not had a failure with them yet, whereas 15-20% of the ticks did not come out cleanly with the tweezers, loops and Stainless forks I tried before.

My little Springer seems to be a tick magnet, she had 27 on her after a week in Arran wandering around. Quite often she has a few if we go any where near a sheep field around here.

The big trick as shown on the video on O'Tom site is to just twist and overcome the urge to pull them off. The BBC article linked in the OP gets it wrong by saying pull.

As you say it really is that easy to get them out best couple of quid I ever spent that's for sure

If you are finding ticks on your dog the control method you are using is insufficient. It is not good enough just to remove them once attached because sometimes you will miss one. The O'tom tick remover is great but you need to do one of the following:

Scalibor collar
- lasts 6 months and is by far the most cost effective way of controlling ticks. Will cost you something like ~£30 for the year!

Frontline or Frontline Combo
- applied religiously every 28 days. As the end of the protection period comes the ticks may bite but die before being able to infect the dog.

My dogs are groomed daily and checked for ticks at the same time. I use Front Line to prevent ticks which is applied every three months.

The dog is protected for 4 months out of 12. No bloody good.

Last edited:
oh dont be silly , you got loads of ticks on your homework i bet

If you are finding ticks on your dog the control method you are using is insufficient. It is not good enough just to remove them once attached because sometimes you will miss one. The O'tom tick remover is great but you need to do one of the following:

Scalibor collar
- lasts 6 months and is by far the most cost effective way of controlling fleas. Will cost you something like ~£30 for the year!

Frontline or Frontline Combo
- applied religiously every 28 days. As the end of the protection period comes the ticks may bite but die before being able to infect the dog.

The dog is protected for 4 months out of 12. No bloody good.

We frontline our 4 costs us a fortune but there worth it i reckon with that food insurance etc we spend approx £300 a month :(

Back