Replacement stock: Ruger or Browning?

pazmino

I'm about to buy my first deer rifle, in .243. I have about £500 to spend, and have narrowed it down to Ruger American or Browning A-bolt. In the future, when I have a bit more cash, I'd like to replace the composite stock with a wooden one. Boyd's sell them in the US for about $113 - they've just started making a stock that will fit the Ruger American centre fire. I think I'll be able to find someone to bring one over for me. So my question is – on which rifle would it be easier to replace the stock when funds allow, the Ruger or the Browning? And is there anywhere in the UK that will do one at anything like that price? Any tips or advice very welcome. Many thanks.

Sorry, meant can't you just get a wooden one to start with, not a plastic fantastic. Xmas/old age strikes again.

David.

Trouble is, not many new rifles with wooden stock and detachable magazines available for £500. Poss. CZ, but I preferred the Ruger and Browning, and thought I could get one with plastic stock and replace the stock at some point in the future.

Trouble is, not many new rifles with wooden stock and detachable magazines available for £500. Poss. CZ, but I preferred the Ruger and Browning, and thought I could get one with plastic stock and replace the stock at some point in the future.

Have you looked at secondhand Tikka T3 Hunter? Wooden stock and detachable mag

Thanks for that – thing is, I have a scope already, and would like to buy a new rifle if possible...

I have a ABOLT in 243 and last year I put a Boyd's thumbhole forest green laminate stock on it in all the stock cost £111 all in with shipping took me around 2 hours with a dremmel of sanding out for drop plate which mag sits on trigger area and were the safety catch some serious sanding out to make a groove so I could push safety smoothly, I sealed my stock but that's personal choice looks a treat and really enjoyed doing it also an extra swivel stud for bipod handles well and shoots better than with the old plastic stock, Hope that helps cheers TM270

The Browning A-Bolt is in a different class than a Ruger American. If you like wood, get a Ruger M77 or A-Bolt and shop for a used synthetic stock, which will be less expensive than a used wood stock.

Rifles with a huge variation of models, millions sold, will have lots of aftermarket parts. Remington 700 is the champ here. Just look at the inexpensive wood and synthetic stocks. So many owners are personalizing their 700s and changing out components. Go look for an older ADL or BDL in wood, and then buy a take-off factory stock.

This early in the sport, don't plan too far ahead. Buy a good shooting rifle first. Tikka T3 is a good one in your price range.

The Browning A-Bolt is in a different class than a Ruger American. If you like wood, get a Ruger M77 or A-Bolt and shop for a used synthetic stock, which will be less expensive than a used wood stock.

Rifles with a huge variation of models, millions sold, will have lots of aftermarket parts. Remington 700 is the champ here. Just look at the inexpensive wood and synthetic stocks. So many owners are personalizing their 700s and changing out components. Go look for an older ADL or BDL in wood, and then buy a take-off factory stock.

This early in the sport, don't plan too far ahead. Buy a good shooting rifle first. Tikka T3 is a good one in your price range.

They are good rifles, but here in Europe they are priced at a whole other level than in the US (just like most firearms).

See here for the RRPs in the UK: GMK - Tikka: Rifles

Yes bud they do export to uk or they did I believe they have a new website at the moment email them my stock arrived in fourteen days there's a company called stockys stocks that will post to a address in America so then family or friend could post on to yourself hope this helps .

They are good rifles, but here in Europe they are priced at a whole other level than in the US (just like most firearms).

See here for the RRPs in the UK: GMK - Tikka: Rifles
On Christmas, a fellow in his late 30s was looking to buy his first centerfire, in .308. I let him handle a Howa 1500 .223, a T3 7mm-08, and a Steyr SBS .308. I recommended a Marlin XS7 in wood as the best bargain rifle, and order a synthetic stock later. He went to Gander Mountain and bought one for $300.

If £500 is the budget, the rifle has to be .243 and new, BUT a wooden stock is required in the future, might I humbly suggest considering something like this (new 700 with wooden stock).

I know it isn't one of the two short list rifles, and is £25 over budget, BUT, that £25 is a LOT cheaper than the cost of even a Boyd's replacement stock.

Just a thought.

Guy

That M700 Classic is even a better deal than I was thinking of, when I suggested an older ADL or BDL. And there are lots of inexpensive synthetic stocks for it out there, as many people replace those with a more expensive one. But there is nothing wrong with the factory stock. My M700 BDL SS Synthetic .30-06 shoots as well as any of my Tikkas, Steyrs or Sauers. All I did to it was adjust the trigger to an even 3 lbs.

Back