Remington Model stainless synthetic 260 REM

6pt-sika

I traded my neighbor my old somewhat scratched up Ruger #1V 220 Swift with dies and what brass I had for a LNIB Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 260 REM and a nice little chunk of cash . I had a rifle just like this before that I got the year they unveiled the 260 think that was about 1996 , anyway I sold that one and I wanted another . I had actually located this rifle for my neighbor a couple years ago and I think he's fired it perhaps 20 times since then !

I have dies already so Friday I ordered 100 pieces of Lapua brass . The 260 I had before showed a distinct liking for the Nosler 125 PT and since I have about four full boxes of them that's what I'll try and shoot in this rifle .

My old 260 had a3-9 Swarovski on top this one will most likely get a nice old Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10x40AO I've had since the beginning of time .

Ok since I already have a 6.5-06 built , a 26 Nosler in the process and now this 260 REM light rifle I think my next build will most certainly be a bench gun in either 6.5 Creedmoor , 260 REM or 6.5x47 Lapua . And just to have something different the Creedmoor and Lapua are the more likely choices .

Ok since I already have a 6.5-06 built , a 26 Nosler in the process and now this 260 REM light rifle I think my next build will most certainly be a bench gun in either 6.5 Creedmoor , 260 REM or 6.5x47 Lapua . And just to have something different the Creedmoor and Lapua are the more likely choices .
I think you need to rename yourself "6pt5-sika"

A perfect deer rifle for rainy days in the woods of Virginia, especially trapsing the hills. That 3-9x36 Swaro would be perfect. I love the Burris 2-7x35 on my 7mm-08 T3, and the discontinued Burris 1.5-5x22 on my 7mm-08 carbine.

I'll most likely start loading for this thing this weekend !

The one I had before was very happy with the Nosler 125 Partition pushed with a stout charge of IMR4831 . I worked that load up before the 260 REM was ever included in the loading manuals and it's actually a couple grains over what Nosler lists as MAX .

I don't plan on expending alot of rounds in load development on this gun as I want it to shoot the 125 Partition and if it'll keep 3 inside .75" at 100 yards thats plenty good enough for my needs .

I did get in 100 pieces of new Lapua 260 REM brass today for use in the little rifle . The only thing I'm waiting on is a set of 2 piece Leupold bases . Other then that it should be ready to shoot sometime next week !

I've been a trifle slow with this rifle getting to the range . Last night u finally got rings and. Old Redfield 6-18 on top for paper work . Tonight I wanna try and load some Nosler 125PT bullets with IMR4350 , IMR4831 , IMR4064 , Hunter and RL19 and try to get velocity around 2900 FPS or a touch better . Im
thinking with that 20" barrel 2900 may be difficult . Sad to say I never Chronographed the other one I had !

Well I've burned up a box of Nosler 125 Partitions in the 26o already . Sad to say IMR4350 and IMR4831 aren't liked by this 260 Model 7 like they were by the one I had before . At the moment RL17 and RL19 are appearing to be the best .

I also ordered a box of Hornady 123 SST's to try in the gun .

In the other one I had the Nosler 120 BT shot like a champ I just never liked that bullet on deer .

Well I've burned up a box of Nosler 125 Partitions in the 26o already . Sad to say IMR4350 and IMR4831 aren't liked by this 260 Model 7 like they were by the one I had before . At the moment RL17 and RL19 are appearing to be the best .

I also ordered a box of Hornady 123 SST's to try in the gun .

The Nosler 120 BT shot great in my old stainless Model 7 260 but I never liked that bullet for deer so I thought I might give the Hornady 123 SST a go in this one if it likes them .

I've been a trifle slow with this rifle getting to the range . Last night u finally got rings and. Old Redfield 6-18 on top for paper work . Tonight I wanna try and load some Nosler 125PT bullets with IMR4350 , IMR4831 , IMR4064 , Hunter and RL19 and try to get velocity around 2900 FPS or a touch better . Im
thinking with that 20" barrel 2900 may be difficult . Sad to say I never Chronographed the other one I had !

I get 2,750 with a 120 grain Sierra Prohunter and 45 grains of Viht N160, which is consistent and safe in my 20 inch .260.

I have tried H414 which was very fast indeed but also very spiky. I have some N150 but after having problems with the H414, I am reluctant to try it as one of our members has advised me that it can be spiky too.

Despite several outings I haven't yet bagged a deer with the .260 so am not yet able to comment on results.

H-414 and W-760 are the same powder, about the same speed as N-150 and H-4350, and work well in cases which are pretty efficient, more in the middle range of ratio to bore volume to case volume, like the 7x57 Mauser and .30-06. They are ball powders, so you may want to try little less, but a magnum primer.

But a faster powder, like Varget or IMR-4064 is good in that .308 case with lighter bullets ( start with 36.0 grains of either one). I am a 6.5x55 shooter, not a .260, but a lot of .308 and 7mm-08.

Despite several outings I haven't yet bagged a deer with the .260 so am not yet able to comment on results.

My original Model 7 stainless I got back in 1996 . The first year I used the Nosler 120 BT and killed 3 whitetail bucks stone dead with a shot a piece . The second year I had a doe give me some trouble had to shoot her a second time . So after that I went to the Nosler 125 Partition and then I had no more problems . I think with the original Model 7 and a 700 BDL DM stainless gun I had I killed something like 33 deer according to my deer log . I would say 97% were one shot kills . Also according to my ledger I've not killed a deer with the 260 in ten years . This year I'll break that streak .

FWIW the last deer I killed with the 260 was a 8 point buck , at the crack of the rifle the deer was DRT . The following day I killed a large 6 pointer with a Remington Model 7 stainless in 300 SAUM and again at the crack of the rifle the deer was DRT , however it was no quicker then with the 260 !

I think you need to rename yourself "6pt5-sika"

No this isn't anything new . When I was eaten up with 7mm's I had a 7x57 , 7-08 , 280 , 7mm SAUM , 7mm Rem Mag , 7mm STW and a 7mm RUM at the same time .

With the 6.5mm's I have had again at the same time a 260 , 6.5x55 , 6.5-06 , 6.5 Rem Mag and a 264 Win Mag . And hopefully soon I'll have my 26 Nosler finished and in my hands !

Made it to the range monday morning and shot the little Model 7 260 some more . RL-19 is looking like the winner with the 125 Partition bullet .

I did however recieve a box of Hornady 123 SST's yesterday so I might load some of them for a wednesday or thursday morning range trip !

Back