Wanted: Scotland stalking October 18th please.

Devon County Shooter

Evening all,

Looking to put a package together for the weekend of the 18th Oct if someone can help? I will be flying from Exeter on the Fri with the wife and will arrange a hire car at the other end. I currently have and have shot reds on my land down here in Devon but would like the hill experience if possible? Wife will need some kind of pamper treatment as I can't see her up on the hill. My certificate is open with .308 Win on, would I need to bring my own rifle?

Never paid for stalking like this before so would like a run down if you can help?

regards

​Carl.

I hate to say this but you have left it very late to find somewhere, and if you arriving on the Friday you will only get the Saturday for a Stag as generally there is no shooting in many parts of Scotland on a Sunday. The hinds will come in on the Monday so you may get an opportunity there.

Good luck, hope you have a great weekend.
T

I'm on leave from the 11th Oct through to the 20th Oct. May have to travel up during the week if some one finds a space or cancellation?
I hate to say this but you have left it very late to find somewhere, and if you arriving on the Friday you will only get the Saturday for a Stag as generally there is no shooting in many parts of Scotland on a Sunday. The hinds will come in on the Monday so you may get an opportunity there.

Good luck, hope you have a great weekend.
T

You may be lucky and find a cancellation, but quite a few places are already taking bookings for 2014, in fact one that I know of is fully booked for three years ahead.

Also you are looking at the peak of the rut, which is the most popular time.

A lot of the estates don't actually take bookings themselves , all the lets being done through sporting agents, so it may be worth your while contacting some of them for any cancellations,of course that will be more expensive than if you can
get something direct from an estate

As has already been said you won't get traditional estate hill stalking on a Sunday, but some of the chaps who have woodland reds will do Sunday stalking, some of these forests have large open areas above the tree line and its hill stalking in all but name.

If you are lucky enough to find something most places will supply an estate rifle if needed

Last edited:
I'm on leave from the 11th Oct through to the 20th Oct. May have to travel up during the week if some one finds a space or cancellation?

there's an off chance I might be able to help. to what level of 'fancy'ness' is the hill experience you require, do you wish specimen stags or cull stags, how many, and what sort of budget have you in mind per day or per beast/or for the day/2 days?

there's an off chance I might be able to help. to what level of 'fancy'ness' is the hill experience you require, do you wish specimen stags or cull stags, how many, and what sort of budget have you in mind per day or per beast/or for the day/2 days?
To be honest i'm not into the "bells n whistles", would like an informal experience, not looking for trophy heads either. I've never paid to shoot deer as I've never had to so if you could PM me the routine i would appreciate it. Quite flexible with the dates above but would like to in country for 2 days.

Carl

Thanks for all your messages and advice, mrs now wants to bring some education into it, she wants to go to Poland now (Krakow / Auschwitz!). Any way i didn't say no as this might be a great opportunity to look at boar. Has anyone got any professional contacts over there in the area? Flying out on the 16th Oct to the 20th.

Carl.

Back