Slugs on Boar

rodderz54

My FAC just dropped through the door with a condition allowing my to use slugs for taking wild boar.

I would like to know about members experience's with shooting boar with them like shot placement, distance ect but also what kind of slugs and scope you have used?

My FAC just dropped through the door with a condition allowing my to use slugs for taking wild boar.

I would like to know about members experience's with shooting boar with them like shot placement, distance ect but also what kind of slugs and scope you have used?

Ha ha - seriously now...

1. Don't expect to take any long shots - 50m as an average,

2. Aim in the same part of the body you would with a rifle - i.e. heart and lungs, but remember the ribcage of wild boar is thicker (covered in layer of fat) and the spine is lower so the area is smaller relatively speaking than a deer,

3. Open sights or small low powered 'scope - say 1-4x max!

Good luck!

That video is famous in France, That men wan the lotterie en spend is time hunting Boar !

For the slug, I agree with Donkey Basher, use it like a normal bullet, but at short distance.

For the brand I allway use "Brenneke"

You'll find the choice of solid slugs is pretty limited in the UK - most RFD only seem to stock Remington Sluggers which only really work in a rifled shotgun barrel.

I'm currently using Buffalo 70mm 28gr brenneke style slugs from Just Cartridges at around £21 per 25 - they group into 1-1.5" at 50m through my Kettner combination gun and my Berreta Urika semi-auto for boar hunts in places where rifles aren't allowed. Scope is either an Aimpoint Hunter or an old 1.25-4x24 Leupold DG scope on an adapted Weaver rail. I happily shoot out to 100m with them without much adjustment for drop - 400+gns of lead travelling at 1,500fps seems to drop most stuff in its tracks.

We're an RFD so Just Cartridges will deliver the slugs direct to the door, but I don't know if that's the same for non-RFD customs in the same way the deliver shotgun cartridges.

Adam.

Cheers adamant.
Probably not popular cuz the police dont tend to grant slugs for boar so no one even tries!
Im going the midland game fair today so ill speak with just cartridges then. Didnt realise they did them.
Thanks for the info.

We're an RFD so Just Cartridges will deliver the slugs direct to the door, but I don't know if that's the same for non-RFD customs in the same way the deliver shotgun cartridges.

It seems to me unlikely that they would, for do slugs not come under S1 like rifle-cartridges?

But on a slightly more serious note, our legislation does say that deer can be shot with a 12 bore slug, but only with a 12 bore. This doesn't apply to wild boar, so could you use a 16 bore slug in say a combination gun, as is done on the continent.

I have S&B 1oz slugs for both deer and wild boar they cost me £25 for 25 last time I bought some and also have some Rws slugs and some cbc all available in the Uk and my favourite Decathlon 32gm Brennicks (you have to buy these abroad though:rolleyes: ) you could try ammo-zone as they often advertise slugs for sale.
Bob

Back