Tripod or Bipod Shooting Sticks

paul k

Can anyone point me to a good source of either tripod or bipod stalking sticks please?

stoney point tripod with 2 section legs are the way to go - got mine shipped in from optics whorehouse at about £90 all in.

stoney point tripod with 2 section legs are the way to go - got mine shipped in from optics whorehouse at about £90 all in.

Haven't tried the tripod version but I have been using Stoney point bipod sticks for years, definetly the best of the current bunch available. JC

I'm in total agreement with Gary - had the three section legs, but switched to the two section - more stable. And have tried bipod version - much less stable therefore reduces range at which you feel comfortable. And Stoney Point stuff beats any DIY / other things I have tried.

Haven't tried the tripod version but I have been using Stoney point bipod sticks for years, definetly the best of the current bunch available. JC

+1 The Stoney point sticks definitely get my vote.

What ever you go for check what the weight is like, as the tripods -especially the cheaper ones- can be very heavy in comparison.

Hi can you tell me if you need an adapter to on the top of the tripods ?? as the ones I have been looking at have no place to put the rifle
http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/tp_rp_tall.html

No mate, thats a different thing altogether, that type locks into some kind of sprigot on the rifle. The ones I am referring to simply have a 'T' piece on the top which is so much better than the 'X' of the cheaper type sticks. JC

Thanks for the info bwana,but those models have the three section legs, and not the two section as mentioned above,

The two section Stoney Points are a little too high at their minimum setting to be ideal for sitting or kneeling but you can get away with it, the benefit is that they are stronger and have less to go wrong than the three section ones. JC

The two section Stoney Points are a little too high at their minimum setting to be ideal for sitting or kneeling but you can get away with it, the benefit is that they are stronger and have less to go wrong than the three section ones. JC

Yep that is what I was thinking, I have tried all the others, even the quad sticks great if you have time to disperse them and you are shooting straight ahead and you dont have to move, but far to fidly for my liking,but still can't find the stoney point two section ones ??

Like you I was on the look out for a good quality stick. After much searching I stumbled across Reloading Solutions in Oxford who advised me to take a look at the Vanguard Quest T62 Tri pod (Although also do bi and mono sticks). The greatest asset of the stick is that the head swivels 360 degrees which means that once the stick is up, if your target moves you can track it without having to reposition the stick - really handy.

The only other I could find like this was the Boggear range which are made in Australia. I couldn't find a UK importer for this range and in any case they were £30 more.

The stoney bipod is going to be a lot quicker to deploy than the tripod i use the 3 section ones and never had any probs and they go down low enough for comfy sitting shots,they'll support my 16 stone carcass when climbing over fences so pretty strong,had two years of abuse now and still perfect would be lost without 'em now.
P.S Just to add that when fully retracted i slip them through my belt loop on my left hip and they hang down out the way in case i need to be shooting freehand.

Last edited:
I had a look the other day at a pair of black diamond carbon fibre walking poles - they weigh nothing. Nearly bought them for hill walking, and then with a simPle bungee / velcro wrap they would double as a pair of shooting sticks. But at £100 I let it pass.

Thanks for the info bwana,but those models have the three section legs, and not the two section as mentioned above,
Sorry landy but getting a little confused here, if you want the two section Stoney Point bipods 35" - 65" then it is the Expedition model you want. These are not imported into this country by the uk agent but www.stalkersuk.co.uk have stock. it is the EXPLORER that has three sections. Their website www.stoneypoint.com confirms this

Back