What Wellis to get

stet

Hi I'm after a new pair of wellies but can't decide and I'm just wondering what you use. I was looking at hunter but then I seen Aigle Pacours 2 what look quite good, does anyone use them?
I also have big calfs so was needing adjustable top. I could not decide on neoprene on normal either.

cheers

Hi I'm after a new pair of wellis but can't decide and I'm just wondering what you use. I was looking at hunter but then I seen Aigle Pacours 2 what look quite good, does anyone use them?
I also have big calfs so was needing adjustable top. I could not decide on neoprene on normal either.

cheers

Lots of good info on here:D

And these are the wellies I.Farticus and I refer to in that thread: Toggi Wanderer Esprit Wellington Boots (Unisex) - Green | Uttings.co.uk

I too really like these as well as the one without the gusset. Lots of support, warm and your feet don't get sweaty. And £70 to £80 odd.

i had a pair of Kudus before which are almost identical. After 17 years they started to split around the rand. Still have, indeed they are down at my folks and still use them, but avoid the puddles.

Only criticism of the Toggies is the rubber compound on the sole is quite hard and when rocky sort of places they don't have a lot of grip. The kudus were better.

I switched to Arxus boots after a few people recommended them - have to say I am VERY impressed with them as they are how wellies were 10 odd years ago and not the crap that is around now !

if you don't need them to be posh the best I've got are dunlop purofort landmasters.
about £45 a pair and are very light/ flexible and warm.
I have used them daily for the last 12 years and I usually get about 5 yrs out of a pair.
I have even stabbed a fork through one and the rubber is so soft it still sealed and didn't need repairing to be waterproof. I got another 3 years out of them.

I have a pair of Hunter Balmoral Neoprene and despite the many reported quality control issues they've done me well for two years of pretty much daily use training my dogs as well as stalking etc, and I don't exactly look after them.
They have a small split appearing in the EVA foam near the heel which looks as if I've damaged them somehow rather than a wear and tear issue. So I've ordered a pair of Aigle Parcours 2 ISO from Amazon, cheapest around at £115.

have the Harkila forester 5mm they were good but now they are run in buggers rub like a firestarters elbow

I have a pair of Hunter Balmoral Neoprene and despite the many reported quality control issues they've done me well for two years of pretty much daily use training my dogs as well as stalking etc, and I don't exactly look after them.
They have a small split appearing in the EVA foam near the heel which looks as if I've damaged them somehow rather than a wear and tear issue. So I've ordered a pair of Aigle Parcours 2 ISO from Amazon, cheapest around at £115.

I also have the Balmoral neoprene and have done me well for a couple of years now.

Le Chemeau are the "in" wellie , pretty comfortable and warm, how long they last depends and too many things but I think they have a 2 yr warranty.

+1 for the Toggis - had mine for 9 years and still going strong. Don't know how many miles I've done in them but it must be hundreds if not thousands.

I recommend Muck Boots ( Tay model )
They are a no frills, hard wearing, comfortable welly boots and have great ankle support and ridgidity, ideal for stalking, beating on the Fells etc. They have normal wellies, plus an Artic Winter fleece lined, warmer boot.
Plus, you can buy two pairs of Muck boots for the price of one Parcours.
The Parcours do not have enough ankle support imo.

I have a pair of Muck Boot Tays. Comfy with plenty of support and VERY warm. Too warm most of the time so another vote for Dunlop Purofort as an excellent all rounder.

My Parcours 2 ISOs arrived today. First impressions are good. They feel a little less "solid" on the foot than my hunters, but not in a way that makes me doubt them. They're very comfortable and the extra thickness of neoprene (5mm vs 3mm in the Hunters, I think) does shine through. The leg area feels much softer and more natural. The soles look and feel up to the task. Only time and use will tell the whole story but I don't regret buying them now.

I have the Parcours jersey lined and neoprene lined. Also have the Muckboot Tay sport. Aigle is FAR more comfy. Nice soft and comfortable. The muckboot is warm, but not so comfortable and deadly on wet hard surfaces. The only reason I would buy the muckboot again, would be for winter driven boar shooting in cold conditions. When you need to walk a lot Aigle is far better. For rough shooting, beating, ... the non-neoprene version is the best.

I have a 15 year old pair of neoprene Le Chameau which are starting to disintegrate and a new pair of neoprene Harkila Forester. The Chams have proved themselves, the Kilas still have a lot to prove, however the Kilas seem more robust and sturdy and a lot heavier, hopefully this is an early sign of longevity!

I think the Kilas look better! Ask me again in 15 years!

Last edited:
Aigle ISO Parcours. Comfortable to stand in. Comfortable to walk in. Better than most to drive in. Exceptionally warm when standing in frozen puddles.

Just about everyone I know wears them day in, day out throughout the picking up season.

Back