Night Vision Monoculars

tjwaines

Ok, so there's been plenty of chat on here recently about night vision and its got me interested. I don't want to go the whole Hogg and replace my day scope S&B for night vision but would like to at least try spotting foxes with a monocular before switching the lamp on. Don't want to spend a fortune as I don't have one, probably less that £300, as a wee Christmas gift to myself (I'm sure the mrs will have treated herself)

I've just picked up another couple of farms for foxing recently and there's a few busy roads / houses nearby and I want to be as unobtrusive as possible - this may be an answer.

So recommendations please gents with pros and cons for the monocular you already own or have at least tried! Realise my budget is limiting, but hey ho, gotta work with what I've got!

Tom

I have a fairly cheap one, as sold a few years ago by Deben, works well enough.
But be careful if like me you wear glasses, this one just sits in the cupboard un-used as it really doesn't allow me to see much with my glasses on :doh:
Without them it's a good bit of kit for the money, I should really get around to selling it and finding one that does work with my glasses on.

Neil. :)

Your in Gen 1 territort or a Yukon Ranger may be a better option.
I would go for a secondhand Ranger and an external IR source and you should scrape your £300.
Oh and put a green filter in the eyepiece as it is too bright without.

Hello Tom,
Met your dad while beating a couple of weeks ago, and my nephew Paul bought your mod. I use NV, check out Scott Country post of yesterday. I have a pulsar 550 and if the monocular they are lauching 1st Jan is as good as the 550 or 750 it would check it out (less than £400) I'd go with digital every time.
PM me if you want more info (phone call) on how I use my NV.

Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
I use a Bresser NV monocular bought from Lidl...£99...you get what you pay for:oops:
Well in all honesty it's ok for the money.

I use it for spotting rabbits at distances less than 75 yards so it does the job, but it's range is limited.
On the plus side it's digital so really no fear of damaging it by a light sourse.
On the down side it can be a bit fiddly to adjust when constantly viewing at different distances...need to adjust eye focus, lense & power..although I try & keep the power down so as to reduce the white out.

Can't comment on any other types.

Try & borrow one & see what you think...judging by the speed they sell at Lidl someone you know must have one!

Back