Modified/Accurised RCBS Scales

timbeech

I've seen the video that "1066" did of his modified RCBS, accursed, extended pointer, mount for webcam etc and I fancy a pair.

I was wondering if these modified scales are available to buy, or does someone do the mods as a service.

What is the point, if you'll excuse the pun? Admitting my guilt, I have modified my own RCBS scales in a similar manner, but am prepared to acknowledge that, for stalking, or even Target Rifle, weighing to better than plus or minus one tenth of a grain gives no better accuracy. Over 100 metres, the best shooters are the bench rest boys. They don't even bother to weigh, they throw their charges! A Great Britain target shooter of my aquaintaince has set up his scales so as to accept any charge plus or minus one tenth of a grain, and accepts anything between theses limits. Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.

Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.

That's a rather sweeping statement, you haven't got a clue what I shoot like.

I agree, a tenth of a grain here or there really doesn't make much difference at the shorter ranges, and yes, the short range benchresters do often just dump charges but I think you will not find many 600 or 1000 yard benchrest shooters or those shooting F-Class just dump charges. In fact there's now a steady drift away from the Chargemaster type auto-dispensers when searching for superior accuracy.

If the sole purpose of the rifle/ammunition is to put meat on the table, then a 75 year old Lee Enfield with battle sights and government surplus ammunition will do the job. If on the other hand, you have spent, say,£3,000 on a reasonable rifle and scope, why not feed it good ammunition.

When prepping a case and loading a round we try and make them all the same - consistency = accuracy.

However, generally sloppy rounds with a few thou here or there with the length of the case, different headstamps, variable neck tension, variable seating depth etc. etc. individually don't make a lot of difference at shorter ranges, probably all going into a 2 inch group at 100 yards, but at longer ranges they will show up.

Why spend time perfectly prepping a case then just dump some powder and say it's good enough for stalking and short range when it's so easy to get a consistent amount.

What is the point

Errr because I can. I like the accuracy I get from hand loading ammo, it's an extension to my shooting hobby. Also I like to take pride in what I do. I guess it's the professional engineer in me, the "that's close enough" attitude is fine for some people but not me.

I've used a powder thrower and wasn't impressed with the accuracy, way to many variables of how you use it.

"you will not find many 600 or 1000 yard benchrest shooters or those shooting F-Class just dump charges"
"However, generally sloppy rounds with a few thou here or there with the length of the case, different headstamps, variable neck tension, variable seating depth etc. etc. individually don't make a lot of difference at shorter ranges, probably all going into a 2 inch group at 100 yards, but at longer ranges they will show up." I agree with all of the above quoted sentiments. I stalk and take a pride in carefully reloading my sporting rifle rounds to shoot better than 1 MOA. As for your shooting, I know that I am a useless target rifle shooter, but I enjoy it. One of the benefits is that you get to shoot alongside the best shooters there are. It is very egalitarian in that way. That's why I suspect that you don't shoot as well as they do; I've seen them, and whereas I haven't seen you shoot, I have my suspicions.

That's why I suspect that you don't shoot as well as they do; I've seen them, and whereas I haven't seen you shoot, I have my suspicions.

Is it something I've said to give you those suspicions? I can't claim to be "top shot" and I'm really not very good with a shotgun, but I did shoot my first 900/1000yds competition at Bisley in 1963 and have continued to shoot and compete in smallbore/fullbore rifle and pistol, gallery rifle and muzzle loading pistol since then.

What is the point, if you'll excuse the pun? Admitting my guilt, I have modified my own RCBS scales in a similar manner, but am prepared to acknowledge that, for stalking, or even Target Rifle, weighing to better than plus or minus one tenth of a grain gives no better accuracy. Over 100 metres, the best shooters are the bench rest boys. They don't even bother to weigh, they throw their charges! A Great Britain target shooter of my aquaintaince has set up his scales so as to accept any charge plus or minus one tenth of a grain, and accepts anything between theses limits. Believe me, he shoots a damn sight better than me, or you, for that matter.

some of do buddy some of us do

That's a rather sweeping statement, you haven't got a clue what I shoot like.

I agree, a tenth of a grain here or there really doesn't make much difference at the shorter ranges, and yes, the short range benchresters do often just dump charges but I think you will not find many 600 or 1000 yard benchrest shooters or those shooting F-Class just dump charges. In fact there's now a steady drift away from the Chargemaster type auto-dispensers when searching for superior accuracy.

If the sole purpose of the rifle/ammunition is to put meat on the table, then a 75 year old Lee Enfield with battle sights and government surplus ammunition will do the job. If on the other hand, you have spent, say,£3,000 on a reasonable rifle and scope, why not feed it good ammunition.

When prepping a case and loading a round we try and make them all the same - consistency = accuracy.

However, generally sloppy rounds with a few thou here or there with the length of the case, different headstamps, variable neck tension, variable seating depth etc. etc. individually don't make a lot of difference at shorter ranges, probably all going into a 2 inch group at 100 yards, but at longer ranges they will show up.

Why spend time perfectly prepping a case then just dump some powder and say it's good enough for stalking and short range when it's so easy to get a consistent amount.

well put alan 1/10 of a grain can make a difference at 1000 yards when we have rifles holding 1/4 moa or better

I don't think I could have achieved this without accurate powder loads, my 505's were erratic to say the least before Allan got his hands on them, coupled with the TM its very impressive and accurate set up.

6547139gr.jpg

"some of do buddy some of us do" Do what 1967Spud? In terme of weighing charges, I am a complete nerd, OCD! 1066, I suggest you pay a visit to Bisley during the Main Meeting and watch the shooting, You'll be impressed, believe me.

some of us bench rest shooters do weigh there charges as apposed to just dumping 100% of the time

also 1066 knows a thing or two about 1000 yard shooting and scales come to that

1066 modified my RCBS Scales for me and I can't speak highly enough about the results.

I bought the Targetmaster Trickler from him. The combination of the modified scales, the trickler, a powder thrower (to quickly throw 95% of the charge) and a mobile phone magnifyer app is a really fast and accurate way to reload. Made my RCBS Chargemaster redundant so I sold it.

This is a stalking forum, yes? I am not arguing about 1000yd shooting, where my case prep and weighing, et cetera, are meticulous, (well I hope they are; sad fact is, in comparison to the good TR shooters, I am crap). However, from sticks, or from a high seat, I do fairly well at 100 yards, or so. If you want to shoot at deer at over 300 yards, go to the USA. When in Scotland, I do exactly as the stalker tells me to do, but most of my stalking is in woodland in England. Let us not confuse long range shooting with deer stalking. "also 1066 knows a thing or two about 1000 yard shooting and scales come to that" Spud1967 that has s-d all to do with deer! If we want to talk about long range shooting then let's do it some where else.

Why not use the most accurate round possible so you know that your rifle is as accurate as possible. I'd rather have a well developed home load that clover leafs for stalking than one that puts them in 1" group. For me it's shows respect to the animal I'm going to shoot that I can archive a clean kill, all other room for error is for my shooting and the wind etc.

65Morris06 - This is a reloading section, as far as I see it covers varying disciplines be it Target or Stalking. The forum itself covers a multitude of shooting subjects. What is wrong with wanting to spend the time making sure all our ammo (regardless of use, distance or discipline) is as accurate as possible? I personally have high standards in everything I do, I see no point in dropping them for one load over another. I have to reload my 6.5x47 as there is little to no factory ammo around, so why not make it accurate. You seem to be knocking some for doing that, you also seem to have a lot to say about peoples abilities when you don't even know them, why is that?.

65Morris06 - What is wrong with wanting to spend the time making sure all our ammo (regardless of use, distance or discipline) is as accurate as possible? you also seem to have a lot to say about peoples abilities when you don't even know them, why is that?.
On the first point I agree entirely. I load my own stalking ammo as well as I possibly can, weighing it as exactly as I can; it holds better than 1moa and often a half that at 100 metres. As for peoples abilities, I know only that the GB fullbore rifle team has won five out of the last six world championships. Are you guys up to that standard?

Back