Lapsing certificate.

Scots_stalker

Hi guys.
My mates son co terminus ticket is about to lapse. Last week police Scotland advised him to either put his guns ( a shotgun and a .22) into storage at either a RFD or into another ticket holders cabinet.

He he asked me and I said no problem. 2 officers visited me during the week to see if I had room , I asked why they didn't issue a temp certificate and was told they don't do that ?? anyways they left satisfied I had room , all seemed well

just had a call from the police to say I can take in his shotgun but his .22 needs to go to a RFD.

I asked why that was and the cop just said that's what he's been told from the firearms office

can anyone show me the logic in this ?

A SGC permits the holder to possess any gauge and number of shotguns he chooses and other shotguns which are not the holders property may be held without notification for a limited time. But an FAC "slots" your firearms, specifying the number and calibre of firearms which may be possessed by the holder. You can't temporarily transfer firearms between certificate holders like you can with shotguns. Bung em into storage at an RFD. My local RFD charges £7 a month per rifle.

Can't help you with finding logic in the logic-vacuum that is the Firearms act (!) But unless you have a spare slot or get a variation for .22 they are right.

I asked why they didn't issue a temp certificate and was told they don't do that ?? anyways they left satisfied I had room , all seemed well

:rofl:

That about sums up their knowledge of the Firearms Act(s) then! Advising and abetting you to illegally posses a firearm in one breath and denying that S7 Permits can be issued. :eek:

Others have correctly advised you about the folly of taking in a S1 Firearm, but why the refusal to issue a S7 Permit? When did the lad submit his renewal application? If it was a reasonable time before expiry then the police are required to issue the Permit. If he failed to do that and made a late application then he should lodge the rifle with an RFD at his expense. If he is due a S.7 Permit then he shouldn't put up with the "we don't issue them" nonsense and insist on one.

Note that a S.7 does not cover expanding ammo and also that he and you should follow the correct procedure to transfer the shotgun.

:rofl:

That about sums up their knowledge of the Firearms Act(s) then! Advising and abetting you to illegally posses a firearm in one breath and denying that S7 Permits can be issued. :eek:

Others have correctly advised you about the folly of taking in a S1 Firearm, but why the refusal to issue a S7 Permit? When did the lad submit his renewal application? If it was a reasonable time before expiry then the police are required to issue the Permit. If he failed to do that and made a late application then he should lodge the rifle with an RFD at his expense. If he is due a S.7 Permit then he shouldn't put up with the "we don't issue them" nonsense and insist on one.

Note that a S.7 does not cover expanding ammo and also that he and you should follow the correct procedure to transfer the shotgun.

Yes orion. The officers said to the guy " have you a friend with space who could take them ". He thought of me. As I've never done it before , I took their guidance when they visited my home

100% agree. Has his shooting organisation been asked to assist?

Back