Gaiters

Malxwal

Sare needing new gaiters, is it worth spending £70 on Harkila or Black Islander, or is a pair of ex-Army ones for £15 water-proof and quiet enough to suffice ?

Outdoor research crocodiles. Had a couple of pairs over the years and used them hard, very happy with them.

Ex-army - very good.
Also LeChem Koktor's.
The mil spec generally have a thick YKK zip, useful as much easier to get dirt and soil out of than the thinner nylon zips. Doesn't sound important now, but will be when you try and take them off and then on again after a day in the muddy field.

:eek: £70 for gaitors, that is nuts; saying that I have just seen that the Koktor's are now £65 - ring 'ell, I only paid £35-40 a few years ago, what a rip off!

Last edited:
Hello Malxwal,

I've just purchased a loden pair from Germany which are of excellent quality (in fact the best quality I've ever had) & they arrived in about 3 days. They are amazingly quiet & the only criticism I can come up with is that they are quite warm when walking. The staff at the company also speak excellent English & respond to e-mails very quickly. The 1st pair are for normal legs & the 2nd pair are for fuller calves. They also do more expensive ones but these seem perfect to me.

http://www.jagdfieber.com/en/Clothin...JBGA-0009.html

Hope that helps,

J

Hello Malxwal,

I've just purchased a loden pair from Germany which are of excellent quality (in fact the best quality I've ever had) & they arrived in about 3 days. They are amazingly quiet & the only criticism I can come up with is that they are quite warm when walking. The staff at the company also speak excellent English & respond to e-mails very quickly. The 1st pair are for normal legs & the 2nd pair are for fuller calves. They also do more expensive ones but these seem perfect to me.

http://www.jagdfieber.com/en/Clothin...JBGA-0009.html

Hope that helps,

J

CHeers for that, they look like they're made out of some thick almost fleecy material ?

Macgaiters neoprene ones win for me. Still on the same pair after 3 seasons, and not showing much signs of wear. They are a bit on the warm side for early season stalking though.....

If your just going for a quiet stroll across the hills then maybe the others will suffice, however if beating through brambles, whins and up to the knees in crap these are unbeatable.

Olive Green Gaitors - Grade 1 - British Military Surplus

And strangely enough, I've only just finished ordering the very same from the very same place. I like that there is an option for long or regular too.
See fit like, at that price there's no drama if I'm not 100% with them.

Macgaiters neoprene ones win for me. Still on the same pair after 3 seasons, and not showing much signs of wear. They are a bit on the warm side for early season stalking though.....

I've looked at them a few times, but I'd need to try them on, as they say the fit is quite important, and I don't know of a local stockist.

Kammo

I get nervous when Sd posters over emote something - but I really do love these and think one of the best designs I have ever seen. Lots of small touches that make you think - doh! Why didn't I think of that.

After a few false starts and poor communication from the company - ie I never got a reply to anything! I just ordered. In fact I have ordered four times in the last few months and everytime the goods arrived - the last two orders being here next day.

I've tried e mail, letters and phone to get a trade account with these guys, offered to endorse them etc etc - never a peep back. Yet I'm still recommending them - that give you an idea as to how good I think they are? :thumb: They are circa £37

ex army ones with rubber straps & steel under support strap £10 pair last for years and thorn proof so far.

Kammo

I get nervous when Sd posters over emote something - but I really do love these and think one of the best designs I have ever seen. Lots of small touches that make you think - doh! Why didn't I think of that.

After a few false starts and poor communication from the company - ie I never got a reply to anything! I just ordered. In fact I have ordered four times in the last few months and everytime the goods arrived - the last two orders being here next day.

I've tried e mail, letters and phone to get a trade account with these guys, offered to endorse them etc etc - never a peep back. Yet I'm still recommending them - that give you an idea as to how good I think they are? :thumb: They are circa £37

Did have a looky, seeing as you recommended them before, but listed as out of stock.

Back