Petrified roe deer?

Tartan_Terrier

There was an interesting case over here recently of a roe doe stood stock still in a field, not moving even when hunters approached it. It seems they were close enough that they could and did touch it and it still didn't run away.

Anyone here heard of anything similar?

PA300491_copy.JPG

Here is a link to a Google translated/butchered article about it:

Google Translate

I had one a while ago which was totally blind and deaf, you could walk right up to it and touch it, I did the decent thing as it was somewhere where it would have rapidly become dog fodder, although it was at work and I didn't have a gun.......
She was otherwise healthy and feeding fine but clearly not behaving right.

Remember walking up to a Roe doe a few years ago in an orchard.
She looked odd as she swayed around. She was pi$$ed on apples.
When she finally worked out i was there she ran, fell over got up an decided that walking away was a better option.

Looks like another case this week: Rådyr vandrede forvirret rundt i cirkler: Kvinde fangede det med hænderne - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Confused roe deer wandered round in circles- woman caught it with her hands

Another incredible deer story surfaced in Jutland. Last week it was the deer that was frozen in the middle of a field in Aunsbjerg near Viborg. It gave hunters the chance to get close to the deer.

This time it was Therese Wallem, who was allowed to get close to a deer at Gandrup near Aalborg. It was not frozen. Instead it walked confused around in circles.

- It was a pretty wild experience. I had just dropped my kids off at school, and then I saw the deer that wandered around the field. I thought that was a little strange because they don't usually tend to wander so close to town and traffic, says Therese Wallem to bt.dk.

She therefore parked the car and decided to check if the deer was okay. She slowly approached the animal, because she would not scare it away, but even though it noticed that she approached, it didn't run away.

- In the end, it finally came over and sniffed at me. Then I realised that something was very wrong. I had to take it home in the car, so it could get help.

- I managed to catch it, and fortunately a lady came over, who could help me to get it in the trunk, she says.

Therese Wallem, who is a biology student at Aalborg University, chose to call the Animal Protection, who told her that her deer was probably drunk because it had eaten some fermented fruit in the field.

But the deer continued to behave strangely for several days. Therese Wallem therefore concluded that it probably wasn't drunk, but that there was something wrong with the deer .

- I could see it hadn't gotten better since I caught it, and therefore I had to shoot it, says Therese Wallem.

Therefore, it is still uncertain exactly what was wrong with the deer.

EDIT: Tried to make Google translate's mess understandable.

Last edited:
I saw something like this about 10 years ago. I was walking the dog when I saw a pair of ears poking above the grass. At first I thought it might be a hare and ignored them, but as I kept walking and the perspective changed I could see they belonged to a roe. As you do, I decided to see how close I could get before it broke cover and bolted. I managed to get right up to where she was laid, and despite the fact that she was fully aware I was there and the dog going batsh it trying to get at her, she took no notice until I lifted her back end with my foot. Then she did run off, I must have broke the trance.

Back