Who knows their Boar?

Many years ago I used to farm free range Tamworth pigs, looking at the markings and shape of these they look like wild boar domestic crossbreds

Many years ago I used to farm free range Tamworth pigs, looking at the markings and shape of these they look like wild boar domestic crossbreds
Apparently these arent crosses, a nearby Estate tried to introduce Iron Age Pigs, they escaped about 5 or 6 years ago and have been living wild ever since, its a LONG way to the nearest domestic pig.

Apparently these arent crosses, a nearby Estate tried to introduce Iron Age Pigs, they escaped about 5 or 6 years ago and have been living wild ever since, its a LONG way to the nearest domestic pig.
Funny you should say that. When they wanted "Iron Age " pigs for the Butser Hill project in Petersfield, Hampshire in the 1970's they crossed Tamworths with wild boar.
The first generation crosses gave basically a wild boar colouring with slightly less hair and a modified body shape. My Tamworth boar crossed with a saddlebackXLarge white used to give white pigs with dark blotches similar to your pictures.

Last edited:
Evening Dan,
A nice group of pigs, just coming up to their second year i think. No sign of mum, which makes me think she has just kicked them out to make way for some new piglets.
If you don't have a realy hard winter, you could have a lot of piglets come the spring.
Great to watch, thanks for the clip.
trev.

We have been filming this group in 2 different location, from what we can see there is 5 in the group, the locations are around 500yrds apart.

In the first clip there is a larger animal comes in to the shot and pushes the other 2 away, could this be the dominant sow?

There is possibly another 2 groups of similar numbers on the estate.

Its looking like some sport should be had soon

I have about 170 clips on the card, its great watching them.

Last edited:
No i would stick with my first guess, looks like you have a young family group. The animal that pushes the others out of the way, looks like a young boar.

No i would stick with my first guess, looks like you have a young family group. The animal that pushes the others out of the way, looks like a young boar.
Cool, that means I can shoot any one of them. :D

NV looks like the only way, they are proper jump jacks, even the IR coming on has them spooked.

try and get hold of a couple of wild boar sows and let them, err....ahem, 'escape', they will soon be breeding true to type within a couple of generations I would guess. A bit of selective culling would speed up the process.

try and get hold of a couple of wild boar sows and let them, err....ahem, 'escape', they will soon be breeding true to type within a couple of generations I would guess. A bit of selective culling would speed up the process.
Im not fussed about the genetics, I just want something different to put in the freezer!!

Interesting comments on the pictures. I do an annual inspection of some wild boar and the farmer regularly crosses the boar with different breeds. The idea being to get some flavour, but a bigger carcass. The wild boar piglets are usually striped until older, the spotted ones are those with some rare breed blood. They could just be genetic throwbacks.

Have you any idea where they originate from? If there are pure boar the area it seems a shame to dilute the breed.

got a few down here but never seen a spotty one yet! as long as they taste good surely thats all that matters
atb steve

Back