Confirmation and suchlike

barongcw

There have been a few, or I should say quite a few, people commenting on or stating what in their view a tracking hound should be able to do.

But up till now i have seen no posts of what a hound should look like and what his caracter etc should be.

I have just been send the 250+ pages of the German KBGS, the breed club for BMH in german. They spend some 20+ pages on what the dog should look like. For the interested parties FCI 213. You can find it in english on the FCI website. The VH
will have the same stipulations.

Now that is an area I know nothing about. Is there anybody on the SD who feels competent to look at and advise how we should tackle that angle.

Am not convinced that the introduction of this will be greeted with applause by all of you. Yet it is important.

Your views?

Last edited:
View attachment 14743View attachment 14744

Bold, stubborn, full of character, confident and plenty of go when she is on a laid track or following deer. Could the breeding in her have something to do with that Georges????

Just what a 6 month old pup should be like in my opinion. Could loose a bit of the stubbornness though...

Bold, stubborn, full of character, confident and plenty of go when she is on a laid track or following deer. Could the breeding in her have something to do with that Georges????

Just what a 6 month old pup should be like in my opinion. Could loose a bit of the stubbornness though...

I would hope so.

But I read this with interest as Bia, same age, is still a little shy or better said wary. With daughter in charge she has no chance of being stobborn and there is plenty of caracter. They are both home this weekend so it will be tracking shoes galore.

Georges ,
I will bring the "zucht und prufungordnungen" from BMH an HS as also a book from the " verbandsprufungen " jagdgebrauchhundenwesen .So you can take time to read this all .

Georges ,
I will bring the "zucht und prufungordnungen" from BMH an HS as also a book from the " verbandsprufungen " jagdgebrauchhundenwesen .So you can take time to read this all .

Thank you. I have the complete works of the KBGS already but the others are very welcome. And please bring the Czeck tracking DVD.

Nice looking dog there Jamragg she looks as if she is heading for the show ring. Just love the brindle they would go down a treat with the shell suit brigade in the toon;)

With my labs I've always bred for size,big is beautiful,don't like little whippety ones,I like large broad headed otter tailed dogs,what a traditional lab should look like.
With hounds I know conformation has a big part to play eg size is all laid out in cm and withers height etc,so not only do these dogs have to be able to work they've to conform with breed averages as well,interesting

That is how it should be confirmation is the look of the dog no point in breeding BMH to look like a dumb Lab :rofl:

:rofl:. Tell your wife it is because of the pink flask and the PMS you displayed on the site when some one upsets you lol Speaking of Rudy65.

Any way went and looked at the KC Standard and the FCI standard and they are jsut about identical. They have kept it simple and easy to judge and have set a easy follow guide .

Last edited:
With BMH, very few show judges in the UK know anything about them unless they have had experience of appointments abroad.

Conformation as well as working ability in regards to breeding is important though, whichever breed you own.

With BMH, very few show judges in the UK know anything about them unless they have had experience of appointments abroad.

Conformation as well as working ability in regards to breeding is important though, whichever breed you own.

Yes, that is what I feared but you never know. May be there is one.

Yes, that is what I feared but you never know. May be there is one.

Andrew Brace is about the most knowledgable judge I have come across, I wouldn't be suprised if he has judge HS on the continent. He wrote an article for one of the 'pet' magazines last year on BMH as part of feature on breeds on the import register and very much emphasized that they are a working hound who is not for the pet/show enviroment and discussed the work that they were bred to do.

Back