Can't get a 308 unless I join a gun club

Oli223

I assume others have had similar problems, I have a 223 for vermin control as on application I did not shoot deer. The land I now shoot on is only cleared for 243, so I can't apply for 308 unless I join a gun club, there are none near me at glossop. My futher problem is the ground i shoot on at the moment has no deer so will struggle getting even 243 now as I already have 223.

I realise I can use estate rifles, but would rather have my own rifle for the job. Has any one got round this one. I assume you can't use your land just to zero then go deer stalking else where.

Would rather have 308 as I've been told 243 is not enough for red, but it's looking like I'm getting neither. I would like to get into deer stalking, however the rules to get started don't help.

Regards oli

Where are you planning to go stalking?

Basically you need to show good reason before they'll grant a rifle for deer. Good reason could be that you have access and permission for ground with deer on, OR that you are going on paid/guided stalks somewhere. If it's the latter they will usually want to see written proof of future bookings.

Regarding the zeroing, if the land isn't cleared it will be tricky. Maybe you could get your FEO to come and see your 'range' where you intend to zero it with a view to giving you the ok for zeroing only on that ground?

Alex

If you can prove to them that you are stalking, some letters showing booked stalking will do it, that is 'good reason' to have a deer rifle. Many people are granted deer calibre rifles under these circumstances. This is how I was granted my FAC.

The problem with joining a gun club is that you will be granted a FAC with 308 on it, but it will probably be restricted for 'target sports only' and therefore the problem with using it for stalking still exists. If you get the 308 granted for stalking then it will allow for 'zeroing and practice on approved ranges' therefore all your options are covered! Sorted.

Now all you need to do is get some stalking booked, as if you needed an excuse!!:D

Last edited:
You don't need your own ground Oli
Just book a stalk and get confirmation of booking, that's good reason enough ;)

It's quite likely they'll put the mentoring condition on your ticket, but there are ways around that too.
One way is to start quoting paragraphs of the HO guidlines but that can be a risky strategy and can be ongoing for months.
But the easiest way is to get the person you booked the stalk with to write a letter saying you are safe.

You can use land for zeroing and stalk elsewhere if the land is cleared for that calibre or if you have open cert

Oli

Another step to take that will help to is to get your DSC I done. Also, I don't know how active the BDS is in your area, but joining that would be another way of building contacts.

Regards JCS

Some goods answers/advice being given here. You would do well to read up on Chapter 13 of the HO Guidance which is available from the stickie at the top of this section of the forum. The relevant section for giving 'Good Reason' for deer calibres in relation to nominated land is:

13.30 An applicant who wishes to shoot deer
should name land which has the likelihood of
the appropriate deer species being present,
and an invitation, booking or authority to
shoot. Many deer stalkers will rely on
invitations to shoot on payment rather than
be hired or paid to do so and may not be
able to shoot regularly or frequently, though
others may be permanently employed, for
example Forestry Commission staff. Hunting
large animals with powerful rifles requires
particular skill, and applicants should generally
have experience of firearms.

My futher problem is the ground i shoot on at the moment has no deer so will struggle getting even 243 now as I already have 223.

I realise I can use estate rifles, but would rather have my own rifle for the job. Has any one got round this one. I assume you can't use your land just to zero then go deer stalking else where.

No reason why you shouldn't use the ground you already shoot over for zeroing/checking purposes. I'd like to see any FEO try to justify why an 'upgrade' to .308 couldn't be achieved on land already cleared for .243!

Thanks for your help. I've been and spoken with licencing, they were very helpfull. They won't grant me 243 or 308 on the land I have as there is no deer there. Not even allowed a 243 on land which will allow it as have 223 and there's no deer. If I want 308 I have to get a permission letter from land owner or someone whocan give permission like an agent. Again they won't up grade the land I have to 308 so I can zero, again you can't use land just to zero it must have deer on it. So now have the impossible task of getting some land near me with deer on it cleared for 308. Otherwise I can't use the rifle unless out stalking, giving me no opportunity to practice.

I got my .308 on the basis of booked stalks for larger species of deer (the FLO questioned if I would need a .243 and .308 on my land just for roe).

Now I have had some more land cleared for my .308 but the FLO wasn't really interested in what was on the land just that it was safe to use rifles up to that calibre on there.

I suppose it depends on your force and even the individual officer that comes out, however I have always found Northumbria police very accommodating.

Gez

Thanks for your help. I've been and spoken with licencing, they were very helpfull. They won't grant me 243 or 308 on the land I have as there is no deer there. Not even allowed a 243 on land which will allow it as have 223 and there's no deer. If I want 308 I have to get a permission letter from land owner or someone whocan give permission like an agent. Again they won't up grade the land I have to 308 so I can zero, again you can't use land just to zero it must have deer on it. So now have the impossible task of getting some land near me with deer on it cleared for 308. Otherwise I can't use the rifle unless out stalking, giving me no opportunity to practice.

As Si says, not really very helpful if they are being obstructive and the piece highlighted above is totally erroneous - by extension does it mean I have to dodge between running deer to zero my rifle in the field? :rolleyes:

So, the answer to your problem is to get everything in place so that you satisfy the 'primary' good reason for possession of a .308 - i.e. have land/good reason by way of booked outings - and get it granted. Once you have the firearm on ticket and in your possession then go back to the FLD and ask them to re-inspect your land with a view to you zeroing/checking on it. If they then refuse your perfectly reasonable request in writing you can start the ball rolling to request justification for their actions.

The thing is that you'll not be asking for anything to do with your existing land to satisfy the initial reason to obtain your .308, so they can't realistically link the two together at a later date.

Last edited:
Thanks again for help, like suggested going to get 308 on ticket, then get land reclassified. Hopefully getting open ticket on 223 on this renewal so the 308 won't be far behind and I can use it anywhere. I have a couple of clubs suggested but all are miles away.

Regards Oli

Pray tell me how does the FEO know there are no deer on the ground?

I doubt there is any ground in rural UK that isnt visited by a deer some time!!

Take a look at the deer initiative web site and see if yor area has any deer population if so then point it out to your FEO, problem solved.

D

Cheers cyres, where there is a will there is a way...

Once I have 308 on my ticket I will ask for the land to be looked at again, as I can always submit a map to support the fact there are deer present.

Regards Oli

Pray tell me how does the FEO know there are no deer on the ground?

I doubt there is any ground in rural UK that isnt visited by a deer some time!!

Take a look at the deer initiative web site and see if yor area has any deer population if so then point it out to your FEO, problem solved.

D
I tried that one when I first applied... we get the odd roe here, but the FEO said "one or two deer passing through isn't good reason" Even when I pointed out that one had recently caused an RTA just up the road, he still was having none of it.

Lots of good advice. I went the target shooting route and then got my 308 cleared for deer and fox, it wasn't that easy and had to do the DSC 1, still working on the any other lawful quarry though, I'll tackle them again on that one in September when my certificate needs renewing.

I was very lucky in that when the FEO came and walked my land with me we had a roe buck jump a gate about two yrds in front of us. He couldn't argue with that!

"It is a matter of personal preference for you", was what my FEO said when I asked about .308 / .243 for Roe & Fallow the calibre didn't appear to be much of an issue.

Back