Out door pig units

stalkinginengland

I wonder do any of you who have wild boar on your land also have out door pig units. In east anglia we have huge numbers of out door units and talking to my FLO he was sure that boar would never establish in this area because DEFRA would have them shot out because of the danger of cross infection to the Out door pig industry. I have been told that there are Boar in Norfolk now but not where, but have not heard of any in suffolk.

Do any of you have both and what in your oppinions is the likelyhood of my FLO being right.

Mark

Mark, one was shot in Suffolk close to FC ground, as I stalk in Thetford I have a mandortary duty on my FAC to shoot one or any should they become resident, have also seen a roadkill young one on the A140 close to the A14 junction where the 50 mph camera is, I stopped on second sighting to confirm it was, then it was removed the following week. Next time you're at Philips if the black EofE Amb Service IT van is there say hello.;) deerwarden

Last edited:
Deerwarden thanks for that I will. With the speed that they spread we should have some close in the next few years then. unless the FLO is right.

Just out of curiosity here, (I used to keep free range outdoor Tamworth pigs myself) as all wild boar in this country are descended from farm escapes what diseases are they supposed to have that are not already present in the domestic pig herd anyway?

Just out of curiosity here, (I used to keep free range outdoor Tamworth pigs myself) as all wild boar in this country are descended from farm escapes what diseases are they supposed to have that are not already present in the domestic pig herd anyway?

If that's true I have no idea. I don't keep pigs. That said I was under the impression that these boar were escapees. I can see the logic. Foot dips lorry washes etc. If boar were aloud to wonder about the bio sercurity would be compromised , just like the rooks do. But are these boar in any parts of the country that have lots of out door units

If that's true I have no idea. I don't keep pigs. That said I was under the impression that these boar were escapees. I can see the logic. Foot dips lorry washes etc. If boar were aloud to wonder about the bio sercurity would be compromised , just like the rooks do. But are these boar in any parts of the country that have lots of out door units
I should imagine the greatest nuisance would be litters of uncommercial wild boar cross pigs

It's all about disease control, you have to be 48 hrs clear of contact before travelling to different pig farm. Not law just common industry practice.

It's all about disease control, you have to be 48 hrs clear of contact before travelling to different pig farm. Not law just common industry practice.
Back in my pig keeping days you couldn't move any pigs out for 21 days after you had received some in, I don't know if that still holds true but I can see how the presence of wandering Boar would cause problems

Tim it's still in place, so here's a question if a wild pig wanders onto your farm, are your pigs on standstill for 21 days and the rest of your stock for 7 days.

I wonder do any of you who have wild boar on your land also have out door pig units. In east anglia we have huge numbers of out door units and talking to my FLO he was sure that boar would never establish in this area because DEFRA would have them shot out because of the danger of cross infection to the Out door pig industry. I have been told that there are Boar in Norfolk now but not where, but have not heard of any in suffolk.

Do any of you have both and what in your oppinions is the likelyhood of my FLO being right.

There was an incident approx 10 years ago where Some captive boar 'escaped' from Ashwellthorpe . At that time Norfolks policy was that boar where classed as dangeous animals . The police where called and all the boar shot on site.

I saw a male north of Coddenham earlier this year - he was moving stiffly so I'm guessing that either he was a old boy or had been hurt. One of the ones radio tagged further south apparently covered 20km (not sure over what period) - even so, I think it will be a while before they get to us here.

I'm sure your FLO is right - sounds very much like DEFRA - however, I'm torn between wanting to be able to shoot boar on my doorstep and not wanting my farming friends to have any more problems to deal with.

Knots

There were a couple shot in Great Ashfield a while ago but I've heard nothing since and suspect they were local ecapees! I have some very large outdoor pig units on a local estate and would have to shoot any on sight if they were to make an appearance. It just so happens that I have a 30.06 and a condition for boar on my ticket just in case!;)
MS

Mature male boar cover very large areas. They can also jump normal pig fencing. The normal 1 strand of electric wire won't stop them either.

Tim it's still in place, so here's a question if a wild pig wanders onto your farm, are your pigs on standstill for 21 days and the rest of your stock for 7 days.

It would trigger a standstill if DEFRA got to hear about it...

I have heard of a pig farm which nearly went bust following someone dumping an elderly male pig on their drive. An unfortunate fallout from the pet pig craze is the rising number of them being abandoned.

I think the problem is not that the boar have disease not present in the domestic herd, but that they could act as a disease vector to spread disease between units, like bTB in badgers. I am sure that Apache will be able to explain this better than me.

Must be at least as risky as having wild deer wandering about the place....

I would argue that wild/feral pigs would be more risky because they are the same species, and many modern farmed pigs are especially susceptible to disease. When I worked on a commercial ondoor pig units we weren't allowed any pig products in our packed meals and had to shower into the unit.

Also, DEFRA aren't exactly known for their logic are they...

Deer, being cloven footed ruminants, ought to trigger a 7 day standstill of all livestock on a farm if they go onto it.
Don't know why they've been allowed to keep wandering around the countryside, after the 2001 foot & mouth outbreak....:stir:

We all may speak in jest, but I doubt if defra have thought about it much, during the bird flu debacle open farms were being told by trading standards that they would have to clean all areas that wild birds could come into contact with :cuckoo:, and the new guide lines for prevention of e coli suggest that all areas that animals and people come into contact are cleaned daily, ever tried to clean a field, thank god for rain.

Back