Pickup/Quad bike combo...?

Sprocker101

Hi all,

Has anybody got a pickup and 4wd combo, where the quad can fit straight onto the flat bed?

I'm guessing the best bet is to use a single cab pickup.
The reason for asking is for ease of transport around different farms, and just pure curiosity.

Cheers

I don't, but a close friend did have with Hilux Double Cab and an older 350cc Honda, which worked really well. Many times we used it for getting up hills with four big guys and paraglider all perched on it (OK health and safety would be tutting, but it would go at good fast walking speed and a lot eaiser than waling up with a 25kg backpack). For some reason he decided to sell it and change to a bigger 500cc and immediatly regretted it as a) it doesn't fit in the back of the pickup (too wide) and b) yes has a bit more grunt, but bigger heavier and not as nimble.

Make your own flatbed.

The old body on the lux was a bit rotten, so knocked up a flat bed.

I haven't quite finished it off yet but its getting there and the cranes quite handy too.

IMG00035-20140614-1737.jpgIMG00034-20140614-1736.jpg

A guy that comes stalking in Kintyre uses a new shaped Ranger, his quad fits in the tub with the tailgate down. Not sure what make the quad is but it looks as big as my Honda 500

If its purely to transport the quad, I think a tow bar on a standard car and a trailer for the quad is a better (safer) option. I remember watching two lads at a jet wash taking a quad off and back on a hilux, to this day I'm amazed neither of them were maimed

Sounds like its possible.

Kimh, that looks a little excessive!

But quite simple to make using a £50 12v winch I would think.

The old 350 Honda quads were quite small (TRX 350D) but relatively expensive now as they're a collectors item, wish I hadn't sold mine.

back in the late 80s used to do 1000s of acres contract slug pelleting with an old style 350 honda quad and carted it around in the back of a Peugeot 504 pickup just drove it up a pair of angle iron ramps that then slid under the bike when loaded

I had an old kawasaki quad that would just fit in the back of my mk5 Hilux with the tailgate down, so it can be done. Various "extra cab" models will work too, it seems that quads are getting bigger as time goes on though, so have a measure up before taking my word for it!

I go the trailer route. One of the small Ifor Williams trailers (P6E if my memory serves right) is pretty much a perfect fit for my 450 Grizzly. When you get on the plot you can take the bike off the trailer (just drives on and off with no worries) and you've got the option of putting the trailer on the back of the quad! Obviously only on reasonably flat/firm ground as it's essentially a road trailer.

But quite simple to make using a £50 12v winch I would think.

The old 350 Honda quads were quite small (TRX 350D) but relatively expensive now as they're a collectors item, wish I hadn't sold mine.

really. What are are they worth as I'm thinking of selling mine which is tatty and needs a damn good service

Back