16 inch .308

sean

I see that RPA rifles are offering a .308 with a 16" barrel.Does anybody have any expeirence with a rifle with such a short barrel.It ought to be a handy little rifle if you do not loose to much velocity.
Thanks sean

No, but I believe someone here has a rifle that short, maybe IanF? a 308 is probably the ideal candidate for a short barrel like this. Load 150gr bullets with a fast powder like Benchmark and it should be the mutz.

I played with a friends 260rem recently, which had been chopped to 19 or 19.5". I liked it so much, my 260 is going to Steve Kershaw today to have a couple of inches off, with a rethread and recrown.

For woodland stalking what more would you need...? I use 20" barrels for my main stalking/foxing rifles, its perfect for medium ranges and tight areas.

It ought to be a handy little rifle if you do not loose to much velocity.
Thanks sean

You will. And energy. Approximately 65 feet per second per inch is the formula for 30-06. I imagine 308 would show a similar result. As compared to a standard 24" barrel, you'll lose 520 feet per second going to a 16" - so a 150 gns bullet at 2800 ft per second becomes 2280. Energy at 100 yds falls from 2141 to 1392 ft lbs.

I hope my maths is correct.

Why would anyone want a 16" barrel anyway? I thought handguns had been banned. As lurking Richard will testify, length matters.
;)

I think RPA were quoting about 2600fps with a 150gr.I wonder what you could push 125 grainers at. Kevin size isn't everything it's what you do with it that matters ;)

I seriously doubt that. I would be surprised if you lost more that 200FPS total over a standard barrel. This is all down to careful hand loaidng with a suitable powder.

Brian - The physics is inflexible, I'm afraid. Use the same load in a 24, then a 16 and, if my maths is correct, that's the result.

Of course it's possible to use a hotter load to claw back some of the lost velocity, but that's not the point I was making.

I think RPA were quoting about 2600fps with a 150gr.I wonder what you could push 125 grainers at. Kevin size isn't everything it's what you do with it that matters ;)

I know. I know. I started it. However, I think this thread is heading in a southerly direction. I'll get my coat.

125g heads are not to good in a 30 cal, as far as im aware they are a varmint bullet to a degree as such they make a mess! They have very little in back end, thus they do explode with deadful effect.

Brian - The physics is inflexible, I'm afraid. Use the same load in a 24, then a 16 and, if my maths is correct, that's the result.

Of course it's possible to use a hotter load to claw back some of the lost velocity, but that's not the point I was making.

Kevin, I am in form for a lively discussion on this one. I am increasingly enamoured of short barrels these days. In these days of almost universal mod use, who would entertain a 24" 308? I would say 20" is the maximum barrel I would consider, not the minimum. Now, I will concede, as the calibre gets smaller, and the powder used gets slower, you do need a bit of extra barrel to get the most out of it.

The physics are not that inflexible. A judicious choice of bullet and powder can maximise velocity from a short barrel. The loss of velocity is not linear for every inch of length lost. Certainly when you go below 19", the velocity might drop off a little faster, but not enough to really matter. I would guess that the vast majority of woodland deer in the UK are shot at under a 100m. Lets use the quoted velocity of 2600FPS with a 150gr bullet. Of the cuff, that is roughly the velocity a convential 308, wringing out every drop of velocity, would carry at 175 - 200m. Do you believe a 308 lacks the energy to kill a deer at 175m?

I read a very favourable review of that RPA recently, but I cannot remember where. Now I would say that 16" is a bit short, but it is an interesting idea. As mentioned earlier, I used a custom 260rem a couple of weeks back. It had a Barnard action, a sodding big Swaro scope, 19.5" LW 1250 weight barrel and an ASE Utra hanging on the end. This little beauty handled like a wand, seriously, like a convential 24" rifle without a mod. I couldn't believe. My 260 is now away to have the appropriate modifications done.

Yes, I have .308 with a 16.1 inch barrel. Very handy woodland stalking rifle. I am hoping to try it on boar at some point.

mannlicher_ssg69_p4_01.jpg

Last edited:
CD,
I have a 30-06 and at 24in I chrono'd it at 2985fps with handloads. I had the barrel cut to 19in (Steve Kershaw) and exactly the same round produced 2680fps. i have tried most combos and use quickload extensivly and 2700ish is the max im getting......so 61fps per inch.

I would however apply caution when cutting down 243 as it could get marginal (legal energy etc).

Last edited:
I wonder what would be the most efficent round?Maybe the .308 is not the best calibre in short barrels,How about a 6.5x55 ? i know bruce potts had some good results with a .338 br.
SEAN

Gotta big club with you too?:)

At 8.4 pounds without a scope it would make a bloody good club mate.

Sean, I am not sure why you say that about the .308. If Steyr cut down their SSG 69 they didnt to do it because it doesnt work. It works very well. I use the sako 123g and the combination is very good. I have a number of rifles in deer legal calibres with barrels of a 'normal' length and the steyr is the one I would go to first.

Last edited:
Sean,
Bruce Potts didnt make legal velocity for Scotland with his .338BR plus it droped like a stone eg 1.6in high at 100 & 7.8in low at 200y.

Quickload gives 2598fps and 2248 ft lbs with a sierra 150gr spbt. 44grs of n133 @ 2.800coal.

Handy performance from such a short barrel.

Claret Dabbler - I believe the article you refer to was in a recent edition of sporting rifle - chap who did the article already has a standard RPA and adapted range rover with roof mounted tent etc for static comfortable night shooting of Charlie?

Claret Dabbler - I believe the article you refer to was in a recent edition of sporting rifle - chap who did the article already has a standard RPA and adapted range rover with roof mounted tent etc for static comfortable night shooting of Charlie?

I really don't remember, I will have a poke through my pile of magazines.

Generally to go back to the main points, the 308 will do much better with a short barrel than a 30/06 anyway (and I just bought a 52cm 30/06 barrel....) especially with the lighter bullet weights. I would expect 2600 FPS to be achievable. Now 2600 FPS is damn near standard loaded velocity for the exhaulted Swede with a 140gr bullet (I know, I know, SD and BC). For a practicle woodland stalking tool, 150gr bullet (~ a BT?) at 2600FPS muzzle will ger 'er done....

Hmmmm actually I sort of mentally compare these loads and figures against the good ole British 303 and although I havea 6.5x55 I don't regard it as the be all and end all.

Back