Well John...that's not how you called it "back in the day"...

enfieldspares

Meanwhile, speaking at a dinner in Westminster on Wednesday, Sir John Major, Conservative Prime Minister from 1990 to 1997, called for the 48% of people who voted against Brexit in June's referendum to have their views considered.

"The tyranny of the majority has never applied in a democracy and it should not apply in this particular democracy," he said, according to former BBC parliamentary correspondent Robert Orchard, who attended the event.

Please, this isn't intended as a pro- or anti- Brexit thread. So please don't start that back up.

Just a thread to recall that that isn't how it appeared "back in the day" when John Major banned handguns and even, despite all the evidence and ACCEPTING THAT EVIDENCE, wouldn't even allow an exception under his .22 Rimfire pistol exemption for .32 S & W Long chambered weapons.

Seemed to me, back then, that it pretty much was the tyranny of the majority in its full pomp and panoply.

He should stick to watching cricket.

Seems to me that the views of the 48% are getting disproportionate consideration at the moment, not least by the Brexit Bashing Corporation, MPs, House of Lords...

Wish that John McDonald bloke would shut up too...

As for handguns, we like to imagine that laws are based on facts and evidence, but mostly they aren't...

Long day...

It's always instructive to revisit various statements pumped out by politicians, over time. Their views are always skewed by the prevailing political expediency. I'm convinced it's why most old duffers are so cynical. We are old enough to remember the outright lies we've been told. My two favourites:
1. Nuclear power is so cheap electricity will be virtually free!
2. Making everyone wear a seat belt will save so much money in A&E we'll be able to afford have a world class health system.

I wont bother to comment on the 'banning handguns will reduce gun crime' canard...

Did you read the thread? Can you read? The other two responders seem to have understood it.

It's a thread about how John Major seems to have forgotten how he was happy for the tyranny of the majority to apply in 1996 and 1997.

But it didn't matter then. Seems even someone with basic intelligence could understand that. But you're indicating that you can't?

Last edited:
Did you read the thread? Can you read? The other two responders seem to have understood it.

It's a thread about how John Major seems to have forgotten how he was happy for the tyranny of the majority to apply in 1996 and 1997.

But it didn't matter then. Seems even someone with basic intelligence could understand that. But you're indicating that you can't?

As I said Earwigo again. We all have a view on Politicians and politics but yours seems to be an extended version of your views continually.
As regards the insults, yes I can read and write otherwise a certain University would have lots of problems regarding my degree.

:D

As I said Earwigo again. We all have a view on Politicians and politics but yours seems to be an extended version of your views continually.
As regards the insults, yes I can read and write otherwise a certain University would have lots of problems regarding my degree.

:D

I must add this as it is about right for the OP

Tim.243

+1 Said Zebedee.

Fourth Horseman I think I'm now more Brian the Snail than Zebedee. :D

But this isn't a Brexit thread.

It's about the fact that there's John Major saying that the majority isn't always right because they don't know the facts...the same old song "Magic Roundabout"...yet happy to ignore the fact that in 1996 and 1997 he banned pistols pretty much through the "tyranny of the majority" that didn't know the facts.

So when the matter of another ban on this or that weapon or thing comes up again...as it will...and as it is on "lookalike 22 Rimfire self-loading "black" rifles...we as shooters can respond that we therefore want the same "right" as John Major and no doubt Blair, Branson, et al will claim (re Brexit) to be judged on the facts and not subject to the "tyranny of the majority".

So just something to keep in our pockets until the time needs.

Last edited:
He took this decision presumably for the same reason all all other skewed actions are enacted?

Lobbying by unknown people behind closed doors funded by skewed rich individuals or organisations?
Should be illegal in my book as not open government?

Fourth Horseman I think I'm now more Brian the Snail than Zebedee. :D

But this isn't a Brexit thread.

It's about the fact that there's John Major saying that the majority isn't always right because they don't know the facts...the same old song "Magic Roundabout"...yet happy to ignore the fact that in 1996 and 1997 he banned pistols pretty much through the "tyranny of the majority" that didn't know the facts.

So when the matter of another ban on this or that weapon or thing comes up again...as it will...and as it is on "lookalike 22 Rimfire self-loading "black" rifles...we as shooters can respond that we therefore want the same "right" as John Major and no doubt Blair, Branson, et al will claim (re Brexit) to be judged on the facts and not subject to the "tyranny of the majority".

So just something to keep in our pockets until the time needs.

One can never beat Authority, and all parties are committed to removing firearms from private hands. But never fear old chap ,when the time needs, if I am still here, I will have something in my pocket!!

So its all about how positions change their minds to suit themselves then.
You should be ashamed at your age, that you have only just worked out that politicians can
only be trusted once they are held in chains at traitors gate and waiting for the top of the tide.

Neil. :)

Back