Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla Training

jackfish

Looking for a little bit of help here guy's,
I will be in the market for a HWV next year, around about Autumn time possibly, due to us moving to a new house (with kennel & ground;)) around about that time.
I am looking for some info on how to train a HWV, never having owned a gun/deer dog before is there any reference material out there to help me along the way?
He will be a dog for Deer only as since getting the stalking bug i very rarely shoot anything else these days, he'll also spend alot of days on the river bank too so plenty of excercise. I have read a good bit about them and feel that it would be the perfect companion for me, my heart is set on one these beautiful dogs, the missus has been ground down 'eventually' and said yes but only once we move house.
Would appreciate any info on training also any owners who may be looking at litters next year..

Thanks in advance

Rgds Bryan

Bryan

Niels Sondergaard - Working with dogs for deer is quite good. John laughed at the 'take your puppy to bed' bit.... whose laughing now! ;)

You're welcome to borrow my copy - let me know if over this way or if you want it posting.

Andy

Bryan Niels Sondergaard - Working with dogs for deer is quite good. John laughed at the 'take your puppy to bed' bit.... whose laughing now! ;) You're welcome to borrow my copy - let me know if over this way or if you want it posting. Andy

+1 Good book. Alfie is a GWP not a Viszla, got him from Chris at Trudvang, took him to bed and ended up on the floor.... sorted that out now he doesn't take the duvet any more! Joking aside, one man dog, great companion :)
Viszla are the same I believe, may even be less volatile, give them time, no rush and you will not regret it.
If you feel any of my limited advice would be worthwhile, very happy to give it.

Good luck and best regards.

Jon.

Jon any info greatly appreciated, Andy if you could post it down with the possum that would be great pal.

Rgds Bryan

I would always train any dog to be well behaved first and foremost. Recall, sit, stay, stop (on the whistle) and some steadiness. I'm a firm believer that even pets should be trained to this standard and once you've done this, the dogs breeding will take over and keep the work training fairly easy. The rest will be instinct through breeding, provided you get the right dog!

I would always train any dog to be well behaved first and foremost. Recall, sit, stay, stop (on the whistle) and some steadiness. I'm a firm believer that even pets should be trained to this standard and once you've done this, the dogs breeding will take over and keep the work training fairly easy. The rest will be instinct through breeding, provided you get the right dog!

Good post!

Hi Brian

Being an owner of a HWV, I asked the same questions you have.
Mr Wolverine gave me the best advice going and that was to firstly bond with the dog and stick to the basics.
Shabz and Steyer's replies are also spot on.
As to reading material you will not go wrong with Guy Wallace's book.
Please do not be frightened to ask, I did and it worked for me.
Mines is a Zolmali dog and I would be lost without him as both a working dog and as a companion.
I also used Bryantscroft Training DVD's which you are welcome to have a loan of when the time comes.
Enjoy the breed they are great and very affectionate.

Regards

DavieH

Hi DavieH,

Sounds like you have a great companion there and thanks for the sound advice. A solid bond with the dog kinda makes sense really stick to basics and the rest will follow, sometimes I think we forget the most important things.
Will definitely keep that offer in mind when nearer the time Davie. I know HWV will be the right choice for me.

Andy much appreciated, quality service my friend arrived next day as per usual...

Appreciated guys!!

Rgds Bryan

Hi DavieH,

Sounds like you have a great companion there and thanks for the sound advice. A solid bond with the dog kinda makes sense really stick to basics and the rest will follow, sometimes I think we forget the most important things.
Will definitely keep that offer in mind when nearer the time Davie. I know HWV will be the right choice for me.

Andy much appreciated, quality service my friend arrived next day as per usual...

Appreciated guys!!

Rgds Bryan

Life is hard

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 89
Great breed but don't be heavy handed with them ! A good quote I picked up ' you don't own a HWV you wear one '
Finally get one from proven working stock

Atb Steve

Great breed but don't be heavy handed with them ! A good quote I picked up ' you don't own a HWV you wear one '
Finally get one from proven working stock

Atb Steve

Totally and utterly agree 100% but would not have it any other way.

Regards
DavieH

No. 1 son discovering that where you are is where she wants to be, even when she knows it's not allowed !

IMG_0388.jpg

Great photo, they do seem to like their comfort.

Thanks for the info, any ideas of some reputable breeders working stock also docked would be an advantage.

Cheers Bryan

Darren carins preston .Duncan thomas. preston both have had litters this year my dog is off Duncan or im.port one from Zoldmarli .got quoted for a dog pup £1029.00 for a 4 month old pup can not come into the country till then includes jabs plus paperwork then courier charges on top. really top breeding from them

Just wondering if anyone knows of any litters this year, will be looking for a pup in a few months time...

Cheers Bryan

Cant help with a litter but I got my Visla from a guy that shoots Geese on the Solway - dog recovers from the boat!.
+1 for talking to Duncan Thomas, he gave me a few good tips about handling the dog, he's regaling into his tracking. Got to reinforce that you can't be rough with them, mine is so attached/in tune with me she cowers if I raise my voice. That said, they ain't a lab, so don't expect that level of obedience.

For the record, the only prob I've with mine is that she's over keen at the start of a stalk and needs keeping to heel for the first 1/2hr. She tracks well on a longline or free, will keep them at bay but is too timid to get a grip of a wounded animal.
Another book worth the time to read it is John Jeanneney's.

I've met quite a few folk from ur neck off the woods with decent WHV's, (i think 1 lady won a novice trial with hers this year, she's had them for 20 odd years) a couple are trially dogs but i know a couple also work on deer. Trying to mind where i met them now :doh: I think if u try contacting either the GSP club scotland or there is 1 in the highlands too (dunno if called highland gundog club or moray gc something like that, theres a couple off fairly active ones up north) thet both do training days that could help with basics and put u in touch with local owners/breeders.

I'm sure i was speaking to someone on here a while ago that goes to the highland club with a WHV and was from aberdeenshire

Back