7mm rem mag

Benji53

I have decided to load some 160 grain nosler accubonds for the above those of you that have a 7mm rem mag have any of you used the accubond and how have you found it on roe and reds ?

If you want a meat saver then the 140g TSX is worth a go. The SST is a meat mangler at normal ranges but the accubond should be better. Have a look at NigelMs posts. His 280AI is not far off a R.E.M. Mag

The Sierra 160-gr Gamekings are plenty good. The SPBT opens faster. The HPBT will give full penetration on tougher big game.

I just replied to another poster about his TRG 995 - consider a mild load, a starting load of RL-15 or 4895 under a Speer 130-gr bullet at 2,750 to 2,800 fps for most of your deer without messing them up. The Sierra 150-gr is a great bullet and the 7mm RM has enough latitude that it can be loaded from 2,700 to 3,100 FPS, and the most accurate load found somewhere in between will be no weakling.

If you want a meat saver then the 140g TSX is worth a go. The SST is a meat mangler at normal ranges but the accubond should be better. Have a look at NigelMs posts. His 280AI is not far off a R.E.M. Mag

145 LRX is what I use in the 280AI. 3150 fps is plenty fast enough out to 300 plus yds. Best meat saving bullet I have used and they mostly drop on the spot. Only use it on Red and Sika stags, tends to be a bit overkill on anything else unless you know you will be outside 200 yds.

Looking at the new 162 ELD-X from Hornaday at the moment. Will slow down to about 3000 fps but it is less effected by wind (BC of .624 vs .486 for the LRX). Not tried it yet but will report back when I have. Suspect the meat damage will be worse but hopefully it's acceptable. Always a bit nervous about neck shots with the LRX due to zero fragmentation but the ELD-X will answer that. Certainly a lot cheaper. Don't get me wrong, 145 LRX is an excellent bullet and I am very happy with it, just looking for something even closer to perfection :D

Not tried the 160 AB, for me at slightly lower velocity than a Rem Mag I hope to be able to get away with the ELD-X, benefit from less wind drift and pay less for the bullets.

I'd be tempted to try the partition as well but any well constructed relatively heavy for calibre bullet should do it

Thanks for the replies so far chaps has anyone got their hands on any of these new hornady eld-x bullets yet ? Also Nigel how do you rate the expansion with the Lrx out long ? Regards Benji

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far chaps has anyone got their hands on any of these new hornady eld-x bullets yet ? Also Nigel how do you rate the expansion with the Lrx out long ? Regards Benji

Shot out to 260 yds so far. Beast went down very quickly but bullet not recovered so can't be sure exactly how it expanded. They seem to drop very quickly inside that distance as well. If I was shooting beyond about 400 I would be changing to a Hornaday Amax or the new ELD-X as I would want something that guaranteed expansion at lower velocity. All the solid coppers start to fail on the expansion front when you start to get down to about 2200 fps. Not UK stalking distance but relevant for Chamois and Mouflon in some parts of the world.

Back