Cost of butchery

How much are people paying to have a carcass butchered up?
My butcher charges £20 for roe and £40 for red. They do a fantastic job, and will make burgers and sausages roll joints and cut steaks.
I've had six roe done in the last couple of weeks, and they all varied in weight from 20-40lb.
Is it normally to pay per carcass or per lb?
I feel I'm getting better valve with a red pricket at £40 compared to a roe kid at £20.

I pay per kg. Thats for sausage, burgers,steaks and roasts. If i want steak pie or mine pies its a wee bit extra.

Regards Kev

I give my butcher the 'leftovers' which he turns into dog meat, but then I only ask for the best bits so he probably has quite a bit of 'leftovers'.

For me part of the whole stalking process and the pleasure thereof is the butchery and producing, in addition to lovely steaks, equally satisfying burgers and snorkers. I would rather put the money saved by not paying someone else towards more squibs or other productive toys.

you can payto have your deer butchered but you need to pay for
the time taken. Worth it if a good job made.

I am a bit picky and reject certain bits and trimmings so I know
all my meat is good quality and I like to see what goes into my burgers
and sausage.

For me part of the whole stalking process and the pleasure thereof is the butchery and producing, in addition to lovely steaks, equally satisfying burgers and snorkers. I would rather put the money saved by not paying someone else towards more squibs or other productive toys.

me too, it's all part of the process, shooting it to me is just 10% of the whole scenario

stalk it,
shoot it,
field dress it,
butcher it ,
eat it,

savour it all after dining, with a nice single malt

I look forward to each and every part of the process , tis why we do it

atb

kjf

I have only ever paid for a butcher to do it once, it was many years ago and he charged me £15 for a roe.
If you are paying £40 for him to do a red you are getting a good deal in my opinion.
I will butcher up to a fallow myself (doing a roe later today) but reds go to the AGHE.
I did a red once, although with practice you get quicker it just takes me too long.
The advantage of DIY is you know you get all the available meat, it would worry me how much 'wasted' venison the butcher keeps for themselves.

Cheers

Richard

How much are people paying to have a carcass butchered up?
My butcher charges £20 for roe and £40 for red. They do a fantastic job, and will make burgers and sausages roll joints and cut steaks.
I've had six roe done in the last couple of weeks, and they all varied in weight from 20-40lb.
Is it normally to pay per carcass or per lb?
I feel I'm getting better valve with a red pricket at £40 compared to a roe kid at £20.

I was a butcher and butcher all my own carcasses , but if your being charged £20 for roe and £40 for a red , then its a no brainer in my opinion!

I wouldnt even bother getting my knives out of the draw if i could get it done at that price .

What you are not factoring into the situation is getting rid of the waste (bones etc) that is not cheap i will tell you!

Your butcher is cutting your deer up and making very little if any money out of it so if you think you may get better value , have a go yourself and see how far you get, i guarentee you wont be long going back to the butcher !

Last edited:
I have only ever paid for a butcher to do it once, it was many years ago and he charged me £15 for a roe.
If you are paying £40 for him to do a red you are getting a good deal in my opinion.
I will butcher up to a fallow myself (doing a roe later today) but reds go to the AGHE.
I did a red once, although with practice you get quicker it just takes me too long.
The advantage of DIY is you know you get all the available meat, it would worry me how much 'wasted' venison the butcher keeps for themselves.

Cheers

Richard

Richard ,

There is actually very little waste from a carcass to be had by the butcher to be honest , maybe 1kg on a roe and maybe 3kg max on a red inc bullet damage and in my opinion figures bot really worth worrying about.

As kjf
Above said , do my own , know what's give into them & that wee glow when yer sitting after yer meal with a good coffee or a malt , knowing that was bloody guid & you did it yourself from field fae fork .

I enjoy the butchery side of it to be honest whereas to others it's a pain in the A. !

But like home loading .., love it or loath it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425747595.556045.jpg

I was a butcher and butcher all my own carcasses , but if your being charged £20 for roe and £40 for a red , then its a no brainer in my opinion!

I wouldnt even bother getting my knives out of the draw if i could get it done at that price .

What you are not factoring into the situation is getting rid of the waste (bones etc) that is not cheap i will tell you!

Your butcher is cutting your deer up and making very little if any money out of it so if you think you may get better value , have a go yourself and see how far you get, i guarentee you wont be long going back to the butcher !

Gotta agree with leec on this, I too was a butcher many years ago for the prices your butcher is charging you are getting great value for money he won't be making a lot of money of it, well done

I give my butcher the 'leftovers' which he turns into dog meat, but then I only ask for the best bits so he probably has quite a bit of 'leftovers'.
A likely story I'm sure:rofl:. I bet that you could count the number of customers who have bought venison dog food from that butcher on the fingers of one finger!
Baguio

i just finished butchering a wild boar out the back of my house, and my wife is in the middle of sorting out what cuts she wants before i make the rest into sausages!

i like doing it myself, but i must say that £20 for a butcher to do it is cracking value.

£20 !! jeez,, no thanks. I do it myself. Cannae imagine handing oot 20 notes for what is just a wee easy job.

If you can skin a deer you can butcher it.

totally agree,Buckbones spent a day showing me how to do the basics of butchering .i know its not made me a trained butcher but i enjoy making my own steaks ,joints and burgers it adds to the satisfaction of a good meal knowing field to fork was all my own work

Thing is, I've always done my own as I know what's what that way. If you are getting any minced or sausages as well then how do you know what's actually been put in them ? As for the rest of the meat, how do you know that it's even your deer that's been jointed and packaged up ?
Im not a butcher but have learnt how to do it from various butchers ive known when I was growing up and I can happily skin butcher and wrap a boned out fallow in under 2 hrs and thy includes drinking cups of tea and answering the phone.
£20 is pretty expensive and £40 for a red is extremely expensive in my opinion. and , even if your time is worth more than £10 per hr then you still can't guarantee that your getting your deer back and not someone else's possibly dirty dog licked gut shot deer.
It's not hard to do, teach yourself or buy a cd on it or something and take an important part in preparing your own food from field to plate. If you are practical enough to stalk a deer then you can certainly butcher a deer. That's all part of the joy of Hunting in my opinion.

Kind regards, Olaf

Last edited:
This post got me thinking as im going boar shooting this week in Dumfries, i butcher my own deer but never tried to butcher a boar, so i went on youtube, and found a lot of videos on everything you need to know about how to butcher a wild boar, so now im sorted

This post got me thinking as im going boar shooting this week in Dumfries, i butcher my own deer but never tried to butcher a boar, so i went on youtube, and found a lot of videos on everything you need to know about how to butcher a wild boar, so now im sorted

Never had the chance to see one let alone do one, like you I do my own deer and just follow the natural lines in the carcass.
Like any thing it is practice, and the thing with a butchers is the meat gets to hang in a far more stable environment than us Fred's in Sheds...
My chillier is great, however it does what I need it to do...

Tim.243

jesus may have to find myself a butcher save all the funny looks from the neighbour's as im covered in blood hacking bits off! lol

Those prices are bang on. It's the work that goes into making burgers and sausages that is time consuming. If anyone in the Glasgow or surrounding area would like to know how to do it themselves feel free to. Pm me and I will gladly show them free of charge..........scott

Back