certificate wording

Boarboy

I know there was a similar discussion/thread on here recently. Anyhow, I have my renewed certificate back with the wording: "firearms and ammunition should be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry, subject to the suitability of the calibre"...

Previously, I had every calibre listed and every species named for that calibre. i.e. .223 fox, .308 deer.

Now, "subject to the suitability of the calibre" does this mean I can use my 6.5 x 55 to shoot foxes at night???? or at all?? if so, I will no longer need or use my .223

Some time ago I was told I could shoot a fox with my .308 but not "actively" pursue one, i.e lamping, Such that I had it worded on my certificate permission to shoot fox whilst stalking. This is why I ask about the 6.5 x 55 for fox, and this new wording.

thanks.

All down to interpretation, as is everything to do with Firearm Licensing. Best bet is to phone your FLO Dept and get their interpretation of what they have conditioned.

TJ

do's sussex give out AOLQ, and open certs (if you have been shooting for years ?) if so have all the wordings removed and the words aolq added this will cover you in all your pest control and stalking as to such cals that are fit for use fox/deer/boar /bunny etc no such thing as overkill or min max for fox just Ethics in doing so

I know there was a similar discussion/thread on here recently. Anyhow, I have my renewed certificate back with the wording: "firearms and ammunition should be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry, subject to the suitability of the calibre"...

Previously, I had every calibre listed and every species named for that calibre. i.e. .223 fox, .308 deer.

Now, "subject to the suitability of the calibre" does this mean I can use my 6.5 x 55 to shoot foxes at night???? or at all?? if so, I will no longer need or use my .223

Some time ago I was told I could shoot a fox with my .308 but not "actively" pursue one, i.e lamping, Such that I had it worded on my certificate permission to shoot fox whilst stalking. This is why I ask about the 6.5 x 55 for fox, and this new wording.

thanks.

Yes with that wording you can shoot foxes with your 6.5x55 at night
Geordie

I don’t see anything wrong with the wording, it’s fantastically vague. As long as you can justify using a calibre such as by using the H.O. guidance it’s great.
Don't go looking for problems.

'...subject to the suitability of the calibre' is not part of the standard AOLQ wording, as far as I'm aware.

If it were my certificate, I think I'd be asking them to remove this clause which does nothing to improve on the FELWG-suggested wording.

I certainly wouldn't ask the FLD what calibres they though suitable for what purpose, as that would completely undermine the point of AOLQ, which is that the FAC-holder is able to decide which is suitable for what.

On the other hand, you could just let it be on the assumption that it is you who are the arbiter of the suitability of calibre - not an unreasonable assumption since that is what AOLQ is meant to acheive.

:)

Last edited:
Perhaps, in this, and similar situations, we should assume the simplest meaning ie. .the OP can shoot AOLQ as long as the firearm is UP TO the job, meaning the normal minimums (243 for deer etc.) Why read more into it than there is?

Perhaps, in this, and similar situations, we should assume the simplest meaning ie. .the OP can shoot AOLQ as long as the firearm is UP TO the job, meaning the normal minimums (243 for deer etc.) Why read more into it than there is?

thats what I'd suggest is the best way to justify it, after all if there is a rimfire there then that isn't suitable for deer. Other than that there are no legal restrictions on quarry and caliber

​As Alex has said above.
I would take suitability to mean lawful. Therefore this would apply only to using deer legal calibers for deer.

I suppose one could also take into account welfare best practice guides on minimum calibers such as 270 for boar and .243 for goats but other than that you can crack on and shoot what you like with what you like.

I don't think im going to ask my FEO whether they think 6.5.x 55 is suitable for fox, as previously they tried to talk me into having a .17hmr for fox instead of a .223. Ive heard a lot that Sussex were issuing .17hmr for fox. Yes, Up to 50-70 yards im sure, but beyond this??? if they're pushing people towards a .17hmr for fox, what are they going to say about a 6.5??!

Back