Roe Rut 2015 - what's happened?

willie_gunn

Not much reaction to the Buttolo today :-|

A quick glance from the buck but not exactly enthusiastic:

300_4199_Buck_zpswkmsvyhb.png

The doe, meanwhile, was two fields away. She was nonplussed by the call, but more than a little surprised when she bumped into me and the dogs:

300_4278_Doe_zpszdu9rbvo.png

I was out last night in a small orchard where in the last 2.5 years I've seen lots of does but never a buck. I sat out looking down a ride and had a go with the Buttolo. After about 5 mins I had a doe appear about 15m away, all I could see to star with was her feet under the apple trees but then she dipped her head down to look at me under the foliage. Needless to say she was off pretty sharpish.

I then got up and stalked to the rear of the orchard where I saw another doe crossing through the rows of trees and a few rows further on there was the first roe buck I'd seen there, a nice 4 pointer. He was couched up relaxing but he was also sitting on the highest piece of ground so there was no safe shot. I tried the caller but he just looked at me with zero interest until a fox appeared between us coming in strong to the call.

No shots taken but was a lovely eve out and pleased I finally saw a buck in the orchard.

tuesday was out on a bit of ground that i had a buck from on saturday and the only buck I saw (yearling) was not interested in the call at all. I tried a few patches but didnt draw anything else out unlike sat morning when i just had to get the call out of my pocket and they came running in. Spoke to a friend today and he also called one in on friday and observed rutting behavior but failed to call in the bucks he saw last night. Will be out tonight and see whats about.

Is there not a chance she's been in and out of season already (as evidenced by your photos) and he's aware there's no other receptive does in the area?

Novice

I suppose that's a chance, though this is not the only doe in the area - there are others with kids whereas I've never seen this one with one. Thinking it through I guess it might also be that, being old (viz the small pedicle "bumps" starting to appear), her season is spasmodic and/or shortened.

Also it was a fine morning this morning, whereas on Monday it was muggy and thundery, so weather conditions may well have come into play.

It will be interesting to see how things develop over the coming days as we move towards what is traditionally the peak of the rut.

I also think the muggy weather over the weekend compared to the cooler breezy weather during the week may be significant. All speculation though.

Back