35g - 222 Rem

Klenchblaize

Anyone successfully using 35g Berger Varmit bullets in their 222?

I'm just finishing refurbishing my 600 Mowhawk stutzen and thought this might be fun if I can get them to group nicely.

Cheers

K

I'm just finishing refurbishing my 600 Mowhawk stutzen and thought this might be fun if I can get them to group nicely.

Cheers

K

Not the Bergers specifically, but I have used the almost (if not) identical Midway 34 grain HP in my .222 rifle and 14" handgun. I used H322 powder and accuracy was good: about 5/8 inches. I felt the need to seat rather deep (to use a bunch of that precision sized neck) so I applied a crimp with a a Lee FCD.~Muir

In preference to a textbook seating depth??

We may have to rename you: “The Crimper”

Cheers!

K

I tend to crimp everything, it's true.
I don't know what the text book depth is. Hardly mattered with a bullet so short and light. I just seated it with as much of the parallel sides of the bullet in the neck as "looked about right". I can dig out my notes this evening for the seating depth if you'd like.~Muir

Cheers

K

Please don't take this as a smart alec question but why do you want to use these light bullets? Is it speed or the need for a lower energy load, or just out of curiosity? I only ask because I've been developing loads for my triple just lately with a mate of mine and we've managed (or he has) to produce the best combination of speed and accuracy by using 50 grn bullets and pushing them hard.

Please don't take this as a smart alec question but why do you want to use these light bullets? Is it speed or the need for a lower energy load, or just out of curiosity? I only ask because I've been developing loads for my triple just lately with a mate of mine and we've managed (or he has) to produce the best combination of speed and accuracy by using 50 grn bullets and pushing them hard.

Because I have a box of them that won't shoot in my 22 Hornet.

K

I tend to crimp everything, it's true.
I don't know what the text book depth is. Hardly mattered with a bullet so short and light. I just seated it with as much of the parallel sides of the bullet in the neck as "looked about right". I can dig out my notes this evening for the seating depth if you'd like.~Muir

Hi Muir

I'll have a play with seating depth so thanks for your kind offer to dig out your notes but no need.

Cheers

K

A company called Sisk used to make a 35 grain back in the early 60's and it was very popular for varmints from the .222 Remington. Very fast and accurate from all accounts. I never shot enough of them to get a good handle on them.~Muir

Back