DIY foam inserts for ear defenders?

Mr. Gain

Every now and then the foam inserts in my ear defenders get to the point where washing isn't enough and new ones are needed.

However, as far as I can see, it isn't possible to buy only the foam: you have to buy a pack that also includes the pads.

As the pads last many times longer than the inserts, and I neither want to fill a drawer with unused pads, or to throw them away, I'm thinking of sourcing some suitable foam sheets, making a template, and cutting out my own inserts to use when necessary.

My question for the SD panel, therefore, is: what sort of foam should I buy, and where should I buy it from?

Last edited:
most makers offer "hygiene packs" that are the right foam and shape and come with new cups too

what brand are they?
it looks fairly generic open cell foam though

How could you ensure the noise canceling qualities were adequate unless specified for purpose?

Just a thought is that you G

Last edited:
Car stereo shops have "accoustic"foam for deadening those boom box monsters they flog to spotty Corsa drivers,that,s specifically for noise suppression and should be fit for purpose.No doubt its on Evilbay and Amazon too atb

I have some peltor sportacs and I bought a couple of hygiene kits a wee while back. they cost less than a tenner each delivered , if available for your brand I cant see why you would want to make your own. surely they last a fair while.

I am no expert but it is hard to tell if they will be effective with what could potentially be the wrong foam in them. if you value your hearing enough to buy some decent ear defenders, surely you value it enough to look after them and use the correct parts for them?

failing that you could stuff some old news paper in them :rofl:

The electronic noise cancelling head phones are just that, "electronic noise cancelling", the foam is just there to make the headset comfortable to wear.

The worst thing you could do is use a high density foam, which would be uncomfortable, and greatly reduce the volume. Just get something similar in density to the originals, and they will be fine. I've done the same.

Every now and then the foam inserts in my ear defenders get to the point where washing isn't enough and new ones are needed.

However, as far as I can see, it isn't possible to buy only the foam: you have to buy a pack that also includes the pads.

As the pads last many times longer than the inserts, and I neither want to fill a drawer with unused pads, or to throw them away, I'm thinking of sourcing some suitable foam sheets, making a template, and cutting out my own inserts to use when necessary.

My question for the SD panel, therefore, is: what sort of foam should I buy, and where should I buy it from?

What are you doing that destroys the foam? My industrial defenders in the forge seem to go on forever, occasionally the pads get cooked by coming into contact with something hot.

Do Hi Fi type head phones have this same foam perchance? I have some old Sennheisers which need new pads I think they have a thin foam cover over the speaker....I am presuming you mean an oval dust shield type affair rather than the acoustic shell lining foam.

Alan

Last edited:
What are you doing that destroys the foam?

Nothing really - just not remembering to wash and dry the inserts in between uses.

The foam isn't destroyed, just discoloured and unpleasant looking, so replacing it now and again appeals.

IME the outer pads almost never need changing, so I've never understood why Peltor don't sell the foam inserts without the pads.

Back