jock

is any one loading for this cal if so whats the data you guys have i have just got one on my ticket and looking for some loding info on them cheers

jock

Hmmmmm , my first 33 cal was a 33 WIN lever gun followed by a Thompson Encore with a 338 Federal barrel .Then a couple of the Marlin lever in 338 Marlin Express . I now have a 338 WIN MAG on a Ruger #1B . I have fooled with a couple friends 338 Ultra Mag's and this past summer I worked up a load for a fellow I know in his 338 Lapua using the Hornady 225 SST and H4831 .

Last edited:
Incidently most of the fellows I've run across here in the USA like the heavier bullets in their Lapua's say 275-300 grains .

The 338 Lapua I worked with is a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter with a rather large muzzle brake on the end which has since been replaced with a suppressor . I never fired it with the suppressor on as he didn't
order it utnil after I was finished so i cannot say how much it helped .

This fellow had a Vortex 6-24 AO scope with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective lighted reticle and the calibrations were in Mrad's I believe it was called rather then 1/8's or 1/4's of an inch . These Mrads's or whatever equate into about a 1/3 of an inch .

I realize a good many people get these things for 600 yards and up . But when I worked out the load for this guy all I had was a 350 yard range . And it did very nicely at 100 , 200 and 350 yards . It amazed me how well the BC/FPS stuff did when I shot at 200 and 350 !

Last edited:
I have a lot of data on the 338 LM, what you shooting it in? I have just got back from a long day today and am in for a busy week but if you can let me have some details I will do what I can however all mine is based around target loads and a 250 grain head.

FYI the pressure rating on these was lowered from what was original as was designed to give 3000 fps for a 250 grain head, I shoot my one out to 1800 meters on Fig11 targets,

cheers guys im looking to buy the rifle soon and was interested in looking at load data for it im going along the lines of the savage at the mo

jock

I use this:

RifleCaliberZeissScope to BoreBCBulletPowderChargePrimerBrassCOL to O/GMax COL to Tip FPSQL FPSH2O VolumeGroup Size
AE AWM338 Lap Mag 2 1/40.675250gr Lapua Scenar #GB488N16591.5gnCCI Large MagLapua2.8183.63430022952117.03.4 MOA

Back