Question on land clearance

wannabecanuck

Can someone help clarify the exact rules on land clearance? My understanding is that land is cleared for a caliber as opposed to cartridge. So if land is cleared for a 308 then you can use anything up to and including a 300 RUM or 300 Weatherby which are obviously way more powerful than a 308? Or am I misunderstanding the overly complex regs of closed licenses?!?

The land will almost certainly be cleared for a specific cartridge . . .for example 'cleared up to a .308]

Yes, it's calibre size, in the eyes of the police, a 308 has to be more powerful than a 270, because it's a larger calibre.

Yes, it's calibre size, in the eyes of the police, a 308 has to be more powerful than a 270, because it's a larger calibre.

That was the view that my local FEO took when we were discussing the matter a few years ago. When I pointed out that this wasn't true he went away to check his Norma ammunition catalogue that he was using as his reference book at the time, he admitted he knew little about firearms other than shotguns.
From recent experience with a friend regarding .338 I know that they now specify the actual cartridge and not simply the calibre. My friend had his certificate varied and they stated a .338winchester after there were initially concerns that he was maybe going for a .338 Lapua.

is "up to" based on muzzle energy? Or some other magic formula? Is a 270 considered "less" than a 308?

I see exactly where your coming from. . . there seems sometimes to be little rhyme or reason to much of what is said with land clearance, and different forces have their own policy . . . .I would assume they loosely base it on muzzle energy and cartridge.

Land "clearance" is a load of bull, if you can discharge a .22 centrefire within your boundary safely, then you can discharge any sporting arm on it!:rolleyes:

Land "clearance" is a load of bull, if you can discharge a .22 centrefire within your boundary safely, then you can discharge any sporting arm on it!:rolleyes:

That Sir is obvious to those that have any reasonable knowledge of firearms. It is the person that must be judged not the actual calibre of the firearm. There are those that will never be safe with even a .177 air pistol such as a gat, and those that can be safely entrusted to use any centrefire rifle regardless of what calibre it is. All this nonsence about being safe with a .243 and progressing on to a larger bore size at a later date is just that - absolute tosh. You're either safe or you are not, and any one who argues any different is a fool.

Back