Pairing up

hairlesshunter

Hi all think that the foxes up north are pairing up already . I had my suspicions last week but thought it was too early . now i think iam sure since Friday a week to day i have shot three lots of two foxes vixen / dog . dog / vixen . and tonght vixen / dog . Each of the second foxes been shot within 5 minuets or so of the first . any one else noticed this

Shot a pair on Wednesday night within 10 mins of each other. Heard quite a few calling whilst out.

I had a large dog fox come in to the 'vixen on heat' call last night - whether that was anything to do with an early pairing, however, I can't say.

I hope not,:eek:come on lads its still only August, if you are right there will be cubs by the third week in October, think about it
nature designed it so that they gave birth in spring when everything else is also giving birth so there is a ready food source, any idea how much food a growing family of cubs consumes? how hard would it be for a vixen to raise a a family of cubs in Autumn.

Hi all think that the foxes up north are pairing up already . I had my suspicions last week but thought it was too early . now i think iam sure since Friday a week to day i have shot three lots of two foxes vixen / dog . dog / vixen . and tonght vixen / dog . Each of the second foxes been shot within 5 minuets or so of the first . any one else noticed this
i think that was a coincidence

I hope not,:eek:come on lads its still only August, if you are right there will be cubs by the third week in October, think about it
nature designed it so that they gave birth in spring when everything else is also giving birth so there is a ready food source, any idea how much food a growing family of cubs consumes? how hard would it be for a vixen to raise a a family of cubs in Autumn.

Hi iam not suggesting that they are starting to mate but just pairing up .then again when I was signal I did have a two week rule lol .the vixen I believe has to be ready and that there is only a small window of opportunity 12 hours or so may be that they were all coincidental

Are the foxes you've been shooting fully mature adults, or just cubs from this year's litters running together?

Novice

not a chance their pairing off yet , alot of family units are still together . Think about it , when hunting was legal the cub hunting season would have only just started . Early mornings the young entries would have gone out with some older hounds , the field would hold up the covers to head the foxes , this let young hounds get a feel and taste for the job and broke up litters of foxes

breeding seasons are dictated by daylight hours , any calling between foxes now is terratorial or between family members . Study your quarry in order to hunt it dont hunt it to study it , youll be far more successful then

Are the foxes you've been shooting fully mature adults, or just cubs from this year's litters running together?

Novice

Yes think you are right they probably will be just mature in Jan/Feb so more than lightly cubs running together

Last edited:
not a chance their pairing off yet , alot of family units are still together . Think about it , when hunting was legal the cub hunting season would have only just started . Early mornings the young entries would have gone out with some older hounds , the field would hold up the covers to head the foxes , this let young hounds get a feel and taste for the job and broke up litters of foxes

Hi trouble don't think that there is a lot family units left over the land I shoot .

Hi trouble don't think that there is a lot family units left over the land I shoot .

but then you think the foxes on your patch are pairing up

So if I have disposed of all the old family members and there are only one or two cubs left out of three or four fox family you are saying that they will not run or join or pair up and that they would stay as a single unit with on family members to learn from and stay on there own till they are old enough to mate

breeding seasons are dictated by daylight hours , any calling between foxes now is terratorial or between family members . Study your quarry in order to hunt it dont hunt it to study it , youll be far more successful then

+1

my callers not doing a lot at the mo. they are more interested in the mice than the caller,

so much so we watched 3 fox's all mousing with little or no regard to what we were doing at all until Steve shot one :)

bob.

Do you boys never learn nothing when out shooting then and 27 foxes since the middle of may p.s thats when i changed my phone as i take pictures and details of each fox i shoot

Do you boys never learn nothing when out shooting then and 27 foxes since the middle of may p.s thats when i changed my phone as i take pictures and details of each fox i shoot
Ive learnt quite a bit over the last 30 odd years of being a keeper , one of the most inportant things being him as knows it all aint done none . Youll learn nothing from looking at pictures of dead foxes

Back