Follow up shot needed

Holy **** indeed! That was educational! Wonder where it was hit? Probably low neck and missed any bone.
MS
Just watched it again, looked like a throat wound maybe? Deer knocked down/out by impact but not fatal. Deer runs off to die a very slow death - not good!:(

Last edited:
Holy **** indeed! That was educational! Wonder where it was hit? Probably low neck and missed any bone.
MS
Just watched it again, looked like a throat wound maybe? Deer knocked down/out by impact but not fatal. Deer runs off to die a very slow death - not good!:(

fancy posting a video of yourself ballsing it up

how do we know it ran off to a slow death and not shot again, did he balls it up ? or miss by 1/4 inch, never had a deer that you had to follow up, then you have not shot enough deer. As to posting it on you tube, people seem to need to bear there souls for some unknown reason.

All speculation without being there and seeing where the bullet actually struck during a gralloch....

Here is the link to a friends story with a large red stag that was shot smack on the money and what it did. Sh*t happens as they say...

1st NORFOLK STAG

It seems to me that if he hadn't been so busy filming he might have had the nous to put another bullet in an animal he could see was still breathing (a fairly conclusive indicator that it was still alive, and suffering).

What was he planning to do instead? Stand by and wait for it to bleed out? Jump on it with a knife?

As I see it, the best decision he made was to post his mistake on Youtube for others to learn from.

It seems to me that if he hadn't been so busy filming he might have had the nous to put another bullet in an animal he could see was still breathing (a fairly conclusive indicator that it was still alive, and suffering).

there is no disputing that....

What was he planning to do instead? Stand by and wait for it to bleed out? Jump on it with a knife?

As I see it, the best decision he made was to post his mistake on Youtube for others to learn from.

Absolutely spot on, at the point of realising it was still breathing the idiot should have put the bloody camera down and shot it again, IMO, that's what I would have done anyway.
Wingy

to me it seems like he was using a head type camera not hand held but more to the point seems like he had never been in a situation before where the deer had still been breathing and definately wasn't expecting it to jump up.
Although he has negative comments i do think videos in this context are good for newcomers to see the reactions of deer that have been shot.
how many see a runner and fear the worse everyone has and will.
with experience you know what to do and you learn more from mistakes than any book he will never forget that and hopefully it was dealt with, atb wayne

the phrase "i dont know how big it was, it was running" is a little concerning as well

Think things are a little tuffer (not much) now, but in some states, you could go to the store and get a hunting license as young as 12 or so years old.. I was 13 because in Ohio you had to have taken the classes and passed the hunter safety test and that's the earliest they gave us the class in school.... It was up to you to learn and/or be tought right from wrong... I was taught to always make the first shot a kill shot and Dad would count shells when you left and when you come back.. Your empty casings were matched with bullet holes in what you brought home and you'd better have a good excuse if they didn't add up... And a real good reason for multiple shots to one animal... Was also taught that if a deer had it's eyes closed, it gets a bullet between the eyes or behind the ear.... If we'd have ever been caught shooting at something on the run, we'd have taken an ass whuppin from Dad without a question.....

Hate to say it but I am sure this poor animal had a broken jaw,probably the result of a poor head-neck shot. You can see how its jaw is hanging open as its lying on the ground.

Kicking ....the tried & trusted method of checking if its dead ..Had he kept his mind on the job in hand & finished it the second he realised it was still alive the subsequent would not have happened.Your either stalking or filming ..!

Seems a pretty good example of "what not to do". Still I fail to understand why anyone would post the video without thinking most other hunters would take a dim view.
Still if it reminds everyone of the follow-up plan then some saving grace/face.

Back