Barnes TTSX 130 gn Win 270 N160 load data?

NoIDeer

After read Jagare's recent thread on lead fragmentation in deer carcasses I have decided to give lead free a go.

I am fairly new to reloading so go easy!

What I am looking for is a starting and max load for a win 270 barnes 130 gn TTSX bullet, N160 powder, CCI 200 primer in winchester or federal brass.
This will be used in a Sako 85 with 20" barrel and mod.

Viht give data for 140 and 150 gn TSX using N165, 550 & 560.
Barnes give data for H4350 and reloader 19.
Nothing this specific on here and can't find anything worthy of a second read on the rest of the www.

I have already got or have easy access to these components and don't really want to mess about looking for others.
Plus, I've got a long weekend ahead of me stalking twice a day with not much else to do in between, perfect opportunity to do important stuff.

I have read CSL's sticky at the top of this page, any offered load data will be used entirely at my own risk.

Thank in advance.
Cheers.

I use 55.4gr of N160 under 130gr Interlocks
none of that is relevant in your rifle using copper though

Book max is up around 60gr and from what I understand you want to be driving solid copper a bit faster than a cup and core

Too stout a bullet for uk game, you will get runners unless you break bone

UTTER BOHORLICS !

i have shot 100's of barnes bullets in 6.5 and .270 , killed 100's of UK deer (lowland red through to muntjac) with them, in my opinion there is no better bullet and the only reason im not using them at the moment is getting them is a pain in the ar$e .

the only way to get to know a bullet is to use it over a considerable amount of time and on as many different species as possible and unless you have used it extensively how could you possibly comment.

me personally i speak from experience , PKL please inform us how you came about your conclusion ?

Too stout a bullet for uk game, you will get runners unless you break bone

Care to expand on this (forgive the pun) everything I read says that these bullets work well?

Archie12 - Barnes only give data for RL19 and H4350.

Bewsher500 - 130 gn interlocks are what I am using atm with the above components.

Thanks guys.

in light bullet weights, on light/lean game such as UK deer species, the barnes will, at high velocity, meet enough resistance to expand. However, increase bullet weight or reduce velocity, or reduce resistance in another way like shooting fox or munty's,,and you will probably find the terminal performance isn't what you previously experienced with non-bonded type bullets.

depends what you are shooting really, if you're taking munty's and CWD with the barnes at 200yds or more, it's sure as heck not a good bullet in 130g or more (IMVHO).

if you're taking sika or red deer at sub 200yds where there is enough speed and resistance, it's probably going to be a decent performer.

personally, if I was targeting 'light' deer species, I would consider the Nosler E-Tip, driven at modest velocities.

in light bullet weights, on light/lean game such as UK deer species, the barnes will, at high velocity, meet enough resistance to expand. However, increase bullet weight or reduce velocity, or reduce resistance in another way like shooting fox or munty's,,and you will probably find the terminal performance isn't what you previously experienced with non-bonded type bullets.

depends what you are shooting really, if you're taking munty's and CWD with the barnes at 200yds or more, it's sure as heck not a good bullet in 130g or more (IMVHO).

if you're taking sika or red deer at sub 200yds where there is enough speed and resistance, it's probably going to be a decent performer.

personally, if I was targeting 'light' deer species, I would consider the Nosler E-Tip, driven at modest velocities.

Interesting, The Nosler site gives load data for N160 as well. Maybe a starting point for the TTSX?

UTTER BOHORLICS !

i have shot 100's of barnes bullets in 6.5 and .270 , killed 100's of UK deer (lowland red through to muntjac) with them, in my opinion there is no better bullet and the only reason im not using them at the moment is getting them is a pain in the ar$e .

the only way to get to know a bullet is to use it over a considerable amount of time and on as many different species as possible and unless you have used it extensively how could you possibly comment.

me personally i speak from experience , PKL please inform us how you came about your conclusion ?

calm down big man,,,! jeez.

I used them in .243 then moved to partitions and hornday bthp's. Also tried them in 30-06 and found similar issues.

.243 was fast enough if used on reds, but not really smaller game.

I'm just saying, if you're looking to drop deer really quickly, there are better options out there, and the e-tip expands a bit faster so is more suited to thinner skinned game. :coat:

calm down big man,,,! jeez.

I used them in .243 then moved to partitions and hornday bthp's. Also tried them in 30-06 and found similar issues.

.243 was fast enough if used on reds, but not really smaller game.

I'm just saying, if you're looking to drop deer really quickly, there are better options out there, and the e-tip expands a bit faster so is more suited to thinner skinned game. :coat:

apologies that came out a tad abrupt !:doh:

the myth that barnes bullets neet to driven hard is in my opinion un true , all the loads i have for the ttsx and tsx are all near enough min loads and all work very well including on the big stuff .

Used them on all U.K. deer with no issues at all, used them 5 times in Africa from springbok to a blue wildebeest bull and three cows with no issues, on a total of 116 animals taken only two were given another shot that was found to be unnecessary. Drills through bone without deviating, if bone is not hit they simply drill a hole larger than the calibre that bleeds out quickly, very accurate, seems to group well easily when load building in my 270, and performs above the weight of the bullet to the next load, i.e. 130 give the equivalent of a 150gn bullet. The 160 partitions I took to Africa were not needed or used, up until I tried TTXs, partitions were my favourite bullet. Barnes bullets like to be driven fast, and I load them 70 thou off the lands over 55 gns of H4350. Three touching holes at 100yds, gave me the confidence to take several blesbuck at extended ranges in S.A. one of those a gold medal head. deerwarden

Back