.22lr rimfire for humane dispatch

sharkbait

I had a word with my feo a couple of weeks back about useing my .22 rimfire to dispatch deer (if i had it at hand and unfortunatley wounded the deer with the centrefire rifle and it was safer to use the rimmy scenario)and would I need to have it put on my license or not, she said its the first she had heard of it and said she would look into it. Can anyone shed some light on this for us:-|

My FAC identifies my .22 lr and .308 for humane dispatch, for some reason they didn't seem to think the .375 was appropriate :cuckoo:.........depending on the scenario I would use the .22 or .410. I've never used the .308 for dispatch.

I had a word with my feo a couple of weeks back about useing my .22 rimfire to dispatch deer (if i had it at hand and unfortunatley wounded the deer with the centrefire rifle and it was safer to use the rimmy scenario)and would I need to have it put on my license or not, she said its the first she had heard of it and said she would look into it. Can anyone shed some light on this for us:-|

Under r the deer act 1991 you can use any reasonable method if you take into account the circumstances in which the deer is in. See subsection 3&4 of this - The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007

as for breaching cert conditions, if your .22 condition say "shall" or "may" be used for vermin etc then the wording is not exclusive for other legal activities. But even if your condition is restrictively exclusive i.e. it say "may or shall ONLY be used" then technically you breach your conditions by dispatching the deer; but no court is going to hear a case, let alone convict a person who acted reasonably to end suffering in extremis.

Under r the deer act 1991 you can use any reasonable method if you take into account the circumstances in which the deer is in. See subsection 3&4 of this - The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007

as for breaching cert conditions, if your .22 condition say "shall" or "may" be used for vermin etc then the wording is not exclusive for other legal activities. But even if your condition is restrictively exclusive i.e. it say "may or shall ONLY be used" then technically you breach your conditions by dispatching the deer; but no court is going to hear a case, let alone convict a person who acted reasonably to end suffering in extremis.
Thank you basc very informative, I will recite this to her tomorrow if need be , as my question to her seems to be holding my variation up! Wish'd I just kept my mouth shut:doh: its so much easier!

My FAC identifies my .22 lr and .308 for humane dispatch, for some reason they didn't seem to think the .375 was appropriate :cuckoo:.........depending on the scenario I would use the .22 or .410. I've never used the .308 for dispatch.
308 for dispatch, 375 inappropriate:rofl: brilliant, hang on I will just get my tank it's more humane

Thank you basc very informative, I will recite this to her tomorrow if need be , as my question to her seems to be holding my variation up! Wish'd I just kept my mouth shut:doh: its so much easier!

Well the police love control regardless of wording. Even today a very silly police employee said to a member that because his guns were taken due to an allegation about unfounded marital issues, that he wasn't allowed to shoot or go within fifty feet of any gun anywhere. Its a lie because they don't like the Act as given by parliament. Only prison makes you prohibited. They continue to lie to deter when they have no legal basis. Some just don't understand conditions.

So in your case don't be surprised if they say no but if shall or may is in the condition then you can ignore them.

Well the police love control regardless of wording. Even today a very silly police employee said to a member that because his guns were taken due to an allegation about unfounded marital issues, that he wasn't allowed to shoot or go within fifty feet of any gun anywhere. Its a lie because they don't like the Act as given by parliament. Only prison makes you prohibited. They continue to lie to deter when they have no legal basis. Some just don't understand conditions.

So in your case don't be surprised if they say no but if shall or may is in the condition then you can ignore them.
Thanks again

I have to say it's a pretty unlikely scenario. You're out stalking, but have bought your .22 along too. I know when I'm out the last thing I want to do is lug more rifles than I need to, mainly on the grounds of weight but also for security (I'm a forgetful bugger at times) and to reduce the risk of damaging the rifles. That said, a .22LR is more than capable of dispatching the smaller deer species. I've used mine on a Roe who had got himself tangled on a fence. It was the tool I had on me at the time. There was no way I could get close enough to free him, so a shot to the brain stem with the .22 from twenty yards away was the only safe, humane option.

I have to say it's a pretty unlikely scenario. You're out stalking, but have bought your .22 along too. I know when I'm out the last thing I want to do is lug more rifles than I need to, mainly on the grounds of weight but also for security (I'm a forgetful bugger at times) and to reduce the risk of damaging the rifles. That said, a .22LR is more than capable of dispatching the smaller deer species. I've used mine on a Roe who had got himself tangled on a fence. It was the tool I had on me at the time. There was no way I could get close enough to free him, so a shot to the brain stem with the .22 from twenty yards away was the only safe, humane option.
I do agree with you but my situation is this, I have a small piece of ground 52 acres (not half of scotland)all shooting from high seats (safety first) , the rimfire is left in the motor hidden away bolt and ammo removed and carry'd on me, motor park'd outside landowners house CCTV in use , the rimfire is only taken for lamping rabbits on this piece of land, if I havn't had any success on the dear, if I do shoot a deer then that gets priority to get it back to the chiller and I abort the lamping, I hope this makes sense, so if the need to humanely shoot the deer with the .22 rimmy it would only be a couple of minutes walk in each direction to get the gun, I have no wish use it nor do I ever want to , it was just like in your case it was the only gun at hand or the safer of the two to use sorry for the rant fella

When using highseats I will often take .22 & .243 if the deer aren't playing then there's always the bunnies & squirrels to have a pop at

On my recent renewal I had a specific condition for my 22lr to be used for humane dispatch of animals. SO Surrey seem to thinks its a good reason.

Back