Are vixens underground already?

Cyres

Well another 3 dog foxs last night, so that is in a total of 13 only 1 vixen shot and that was several weeks ago. Do we conclude that they now have cubs or about too?

Stange night last night, much dryer under foot than late, no moon and cloudy but on the thermal everything some what blurred, completely unlike last week crystal clear conditions.

Anyway saw 4 on our ground and shot 3x3 so good, we have some v pleased farmers at present.

D

Stange night last night, much dryer under foot than late, no moon and cloudy but on the thermal everything some what blurred, completely unlike last week crystal clear conditions.

D

We experienced the same thing last night.

I shot a vixen yesterday and her 'ding ding' was all swollen as if she was on heat or just had a Butt Out pulled from her.

I got a vixen this morning just at daylight, definitely in cub but was not going to to cubbing down for a while yet.

i wouldnt mind betting there are one or two very young litters already about but thats about it what i do find tho is that vixens especialy do become very differnt animals when cubs are about with them running away from any sign of danger such as a lamp or the sound of a truck and i wouldnt mind betting that some of the boys with thermal and nv must be seeing this sort of behaviour more aswell

i wouldn't mind betting there are one or two very young litters already about but that's about it what i do find tho is that vixens especially do become very different animals when cubs are about with them running away from any sign of danger such as a lamp or the sound of a truck and i wouldn't mind betting that some of the boys with thermal and nv must be seeing this sort of behaviour more as well

Indeed, we do.

i wouldnt mind betting there are one or two very young litters already about but thats about it what i do find tho is that vixens especialy do become very differnt animals when cubs are about with them running away from any sign of danger such as a lamp or the sound of a truck and i wouldnt mind betting that some of the boys with thermal and nv must be seeing this sort of behaviour more aswell

Up here in the high ground it will be seven or eight weeks yet before we have cubs.

I shot a young vixen last week , 08.30am in the sheep field at it with her boyfriend( bloody check , lol) , he got the shock of his life when the 40 gr stopped his nookie rather abruptly

Shot my first vixen tonight that was heavy in PUP, there was no dog about though, that surprised me, I was up a high seat n used the NV and thermal with the fox distress playing on the FoxPro, this will usually bring a response from the mate, I've taken 5 couple this way of late. Not tonight though.

Last edited:
Well another 3 dog foxs last night, so that is in a total of 13 only 1 vixen shot and that was several weeks ago. Do we conclude that they now have cubs or about too?

Anyway saw 4 on our ground and shot 3x3 so good, we have some v pleased farmers at present.

D
most of the foxes in my area have already finished calling already, i always check all my fox earths in early feb with the bolting dog and most years i find cubs, i have even found cubs on two occasions before christmas.

Shot my first vixen tonight that was heavy in PUP, there was no dog about though, that surprised me, I was up a high seat n used the NV and thermal with the fox distress playing on the FoxPro, this will usually bring a response from the mate, I've taken 5 couple this way of late. Not tonight though.

I suspect that if you're using the same fox distress call as me it was mislabelled when it was released. This is because it's more or less exactly the same sound as used by the vixen in the run-up to mating. In my opinion, the sound is translated by resident foxes as there being interlopers on their territory, hence why they come barrelling in.

Back