Deer calls?

TAG

Questions: Deer calls, do you use them? If so which ones? Are they worth using outside of the rut? Advice please..... I have Red, Roe, Fallow and Muntjack around.

I had never used a call for anything growing up... Was hunting with a guy this year that had one of these and was bragging about it. I got one just for ***** and giggles.... Played with it a couple minutes and had a buck charge up to about 50 meters... he won't make that mistake again.... Had a doe in front of me a week or so later that wouldn't leave... Started playing with the call and had her within a meter of the steps of the stand I was in... She'd wander off and I'd squeak a couple times and she'd be right back.....

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/Product/buttolo-deer-call

Thanks for that. I have the buttolo and was wondering what other options were out there as I havent had much experience with calls.

i keep the buttalo in my pocket during the rut but also have a electronic roe caller which i keep in my roesack , this has 6 different calls on it and is deadly, had bucks running up to me and one day saw a doe with 2 young so pressed the fawn calling button , her and the young came running up to the car , also has the deadly bark on it so when one runs barking this will stop it in its tracks

I thought electronic calls were not allowed?.?

Been discussed on here before but yes electronic calls are illegal for the purposes of taking deer.
you might be allowed to use them if your just calling the deer to take photos or just observation but not sure about that.

You can use a buttalo for Muntjac at any time and it really works but trouble if you use it in the same place as your Roe then they will get used to it and won't respond when you need them to.

So has anyone used or heard of the bottom cut of a plastic bottle for calling reds? There are so many calls available commercially but dont want to waste my time and money!

So has anyone used or heard of the bottom cut of a plastic bottle for calling reds? There are so many calls available commercially but dont want to waste my time and money!

tried it, works ok sort of, but last season I bought the Hubertus stag caller and for what is effectively just two tubes slotted inside one another, it is incredibly effective during the rut.....had some very close encounters with it, and normally had a response within seconds of starting. like any call though, if you use it incorrectly you are just as likely to scare things away or draw undue attention to yourself. its all to easy to make a loud roar with the stag caller, but if you come in all big and bad and the stag you're calling to is younger and less dominant, he is just as likely to opt for self preservation and run away. equally if you don't sound suitably challenging, the big ones might not deem you worthy of a conversation..... its a fine line to balance, but I would definitely say the stag call is worth the money, just spend some time listening to what your animals are doing and try to blend in your calls with theirs..

Have used a butaloo call during the last 2 roe ruts, only thing that responded was a fox. However was out stalking for a level 2 assessment and got my last assessment done early so my assessor decided to go and take a couple more cull bucks. He used a butaloo and a buck came charging at us like a train
Wingy

Used a Bottolo this evening. A few slow peeps then pause for a minute, then a few peep peeps. Then out pop's a perfect cull doe for the chiller. A terrific tool to give a little advantage when looking like a blank session. Just don't sit on it when trying to manover yourself onto that fox that's snuck in 50 yds away!

Thanks for the responses guys. I will try to find some info on the Hubertus stag caller, costs etc. and how easy it is to use. I have recently purchased a small grunter, the type with flexible tube and adjustable o ring that alters the tone depending on required target. I have far from mastered authentic sounds though and am still working on the technique. Then It's working on the right call at the right time, some things books can't teach you!

Used a Bottolo this evening. A few slow peeps then pause for a minute, then a few peep peeps. Then out pop's a perfect cull doe for the chiller. A terrific tool to give a little advantage when looking like a blank session. Just don't sit on it when trying to manover yourself onto that fox that's snuck in 50 yds away!

A perfect cull doe for the chiller........in april?

Deerstalker 308; am I correct in saying that this is the call [available from Bushwear and other fine outlets]? I know a Coke bottle is cheaper...

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/product/hubertus-stag-call-2-piece-collapsible-rut

I'd be interested to learn whether calling [to] stags works only during the rut (ie when their vocal) or at any other time. Is there such a thing as a location roar compared with a full-on balls-out challenge roar? Similarly, does anyone know or have experience of using a hind call (does such a thing even exist??) to draw stags in?

Here in New Zealand it is currently the red roar (rut). Hunters use the whole spectrum of paraphernalia to call them in -ranging from cupped hands, cows horns, cut off drink bottles, PVC pipe, vacuum cleaner hose, radiator hoses, road cones ..... everyone has a "secret weapon". Then, we can also legally use electronic callers which are becoming more popular - even with the addition of loud speakers!
Cheers,
Hewie

Sorry, should have said in my post 'Muntjac' doe for the chiller. Buttolo works well on them I have found.

Back