Sako V Sako

jase kaye

Right lads seeing as 75's seem to be in short supply unless they're silly money, I've been looking at a couple of earlier models Number one is a Sako AV in .270 23"screw cut barrel, known history from new, fired no more than 500 rounds, comes with 30mm Optilock rings and bases(dealer sale) Number two is a Sako 591 in .308 not screw cut, comes with rings (make unknown) dies, bullets, some factory ammo and.... some military tracer rounds :eek: (private sale, but unable to get hold of him at the moment. Both look to be in extremely good condition, just wondering on other peoples opinions on these two especially from those who have owned either of these :D.
Thanks Jase.

Hi jase, was in the same position as you 12 months ago when looking for a 30-06, money was tight but I wanted a Sako. Couldn't find a 75 for love or money! Found an AV on the web from up country although 30 ish yrs old it looked like new inside and out.it has turned out to be a bit of a gem. Shoots just as good as both my 75s
(.22-250 and 243)
don't know anything about 591s but I wouldn't hesitate about buying the AV,
regards jab,

Cheers Jab, I'm swaying towards the AV to be honest mate, just like to here some views on both.
Atb Jase.

They are great rifles. A .270 or .30-06 AV in really good shape is a safe buy. I have found several and tried to get friends to buy them, but they hesitated and lost out. Full disclosure: I don't have one; i shoot an L61R in .375 H&H.

I'd say either would be good (if the barrel scopes OK) as the older they are the better the actions Redmist told me. My family sako forester .308 still shoots a 1.5" group at 100 yards. Redmist couldn't find it's serial number on the records so reckoned it was pre 1975. When he cut it for a mod the re-crowning brought the group sub 1". It's the one in the picture of me with a hind in my gallery

A friend had the same with an older sako he bought of this site - re-crowing massively improved grouping so worth bearing in mind if needed.

I've had a few 591's in my time, a 243 varmint and a 308 varmint, both shot incredibly well with factory or home loads. Only sold as upgraded to another Sako

Got a left handed m591 in .22-250 and love the action ... Very well built !!!
Can't comment on AV
Paul

They are great rifles. A .270 or .30-06 AV in really good shape is a safe buy. I have found several and tried to get friends to buy them, but they hesitated and lost out. Full disclosure: I don't have one; i shoot an L61R in .375 H&H.
When I was thinking about buying my AV I had a lot of good advice from Southern (via pm) it was this that persuaded me to buy it. To say I'm pleased with it is an understatement, I have just returned from my first trip to S A where the rifle and calibre performed brilliantly.
We met a lot of people there who swore by the 270 so if I was you that's the one I would get, slightly newer model than the 591 and a lot of gunsmiths reckon that the AV action makes a fantastic donor so I think your in a win win situation
regards jab
ps I think it's the best £400 I have spent on a rifle (thanks southern :thumb:)

When I was thinking about buying my AV I had a lot of good advice from Southern (via pm) it was this that persuaded me to buy it. To say I'm pleased with it is an understatement, I have just returned from my first trip to S A where the rifle and calibre performed brilliantly.
We met a lot of people there who swore by the 270 so if I was you that's the one I would get, slightly newer model than the 591 and a lot of gunsmiths reckon that the AV action makes a fantastic donor so I think your in a win win situation
regards jab
ps I think it's the best £400 I have spent on a rifle (thanks southern :thumb:)

I thought the AV was from the late 70's early 80's and the 591 was from the late 80's early ninety's and then came the 75's, but might be wrong :doh:

I've seen it mate, I've seen another AV for less without the moderator rash and includes a set of 30mm Optilocks ;)

I thought the AV was from the late 70's early 80's and the 591 was from the late 80's early ninety's and then came the 75's, but might be wrong :doh:
Its all on the net just google ,my sako L61R was born between 9/5/74 - 26/8/77 according to its serial numbers
love my old sako she's in better nick than me and I'm 10 yrs older
norma

591 is medium action, 691 long action, superb action, better/stronger than A2, heavier though, introduced 1991 - clues in the number, conversely the Sako 75 introduced 1995.

I believe 591/691 was becoming too expensive to produce. I have a 591 in 22-250 with a Border barrel and its stunningly accurate an ideal basis for a quality range rifle if a bit heavy for stalking, I must say there are a lot of armchair experts talking uninformed tosh on here.

Here you go:

http://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

FlyBoy270

Last edited:
591 is medium action, 691 long action, superb action, better/stronger than A2, heavier though, introduced 1991 - clues in the number, conversely the Sako 75 introduced 1995.

I believe 591/691 was becoming too expensive to produce. I have a 591 in 22-250 with a Border barrel and its stunningly accurate an ideal basis for a quality range rifle if a bit heavy for stalking, I must say there are a lot of armchair experts talking uninformed tosh on here.

Here you go:

http://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

FlyBoy270
Please enlighten us on the tosh

I like my 591. Feels really solid and the triggers good too. Results after pillar bedding with factory ammo. DSC_0564.jpg

Last edited:
Took the plunge and set off for Somerset at 4.00 am this morning, got back to Yorkshire at 12.00 pm this afternoon with an old, but very nice Sako AV in .270 complete with a set of 30mm Optilocks and 80 rounds of Federal 150g RN thrown in for free all for the measily price of................£350 :D to say I'm happy is an understatement, I'll get some pictures of it up later.
Cheers Jase.

Took the plunge and set off for Somerset at 4.00 am this morning, got back to Yorkshire at 12.00 pm this afternoon with an old, but very nice Sako AV in .270 complete with a set of 30mm Optilocks and 80 rounds of Federal 150g RN thrown in for free all for the measily price of................£350 :D to say I'm happy is an understatement, I'll get some pictures of it up later.
Cheers Jase.
You knew you wanted to!!!;)

Back