acres

remmy243

i have two or three blocks for stalking and was wondering if any one new of a way i can work out how many acres i have ?

cheers

Walk the perimeter of the blocks and record the track on a GPS unit, record one track for each block.
The software that came with my Garmin allows me to download the recorded tracks, this will show an accurate outline of each block which can then be overlaid on Goggle Maps.
It also tells you the area in any units you want and allows you to accurately measure distances between any waypoints you record.

Neil. :)

Get hold of a OS 1:2500 scale map of the area (the land owner should have one). Each square will be 100mx100msq = 1Ha, 1Ha = 2.475acres, You can also get area grid scales that you place on the map - very accurate. You can pick these up on the net from any forestry equipment supplier. Hope that will help.

As 6pointer said, the FC website is good for what your after if your farmer/landowner doesn’t know (although highly unlikely!!)

The link below will hopefully come up with a UK map.

Forestry Commission Scotland Map Viewer -- Basic View

Click in your general area on in the UK then Zoom into desired area with the Tab on the left

Select “Map Layers” tab on Right hand side

Then tick the select “Aerial Photography” box near the bottom.
You can use the standard format OS type map representation but I prefer the aerial photography for this.

Select “Measure Area” Icon on the (further most left tab on the top tool bar)

Once you have a decent Map ratio, left click your mouse around the boundary edge of your particular ground, zoom in as much as possible to let you see as much details as possible.

It will give you the Area in acres/hectares at the top of the column on the left once you've completed your edges.

A wee tip, click as many times as possible to follow the contours of your ground especially if there are little straight edges like irregular fields, river edges or natural plantations etc

There is also a distance tool which can also be useful at times.

It doesn’t take long to get the hang of and is quite a useful tool & you can clear it easily to start again from the left hand column.

Worth a try anyway on a rainy day

Hope that helps

Rigboot

If you have got a smart phone there is an app called the distance and area calculator what you do is walk around the blocks and it will calculate the distance and area of the blocks.
I use it on the farm for working out sizes or pheasant covers etc

Cheers Rigboot, that FC site is brilliant,

Just calculated we have woodlands totalling 718 acres on a total leased area of 2630 acres.

Last edited:
Back