Broken Windscreen

THE STALKER

What would any one else have done?.i went to try out my new 308 on a 450 acre patch that i have permission on for Deer and vermin control. As i approached the first field i came across a tractor that belonged to the farmer who's ground i shoot on and his farm hand was hedge trimming the road hedge, i reversed back some 40 yards to let the tractor pull in to let me pass but he just looked at me and dropped the trimmer back in the hedge and carried on cutting , there was a mighty thud and a stone had been thrown up by the trimmer and broke my windscreen, i got out of the car and let the chap know what had happened he said what do you want me to do about it , i replied well i guess you broke it so it's down to you ! i was told nothing i could do it's just one of those things that happens get over it.I went up to see the farmer and explained what had happened he said claim off my insurance, which i done as i had to pay £200 pounds for the new screen. I phoned the farmer and asked for his insurance details and his reply was write a letter to me so i can forward it to my insurance you will have to put in the letter that you hold me responsible for the damage! i said ok thanks very much and thought all was well , a week later after i had sent him my letter and invoice for the damage i get a letter from the farmer telling me he does'nt want me shooting there anymore and never set a foot on any of his land again for any reason. i still havent heard from the insurance company i am £200 out of pocket and lost my ground. And the frustrating thing is over the years i have shot there and other grounds i have loaded the farmer up with Ducks ,Pheasants, Venison, Bottles of Port at Xmas and fish when i have been fishing , and i never got a thank you for any of it.:( :cry:

What would any one else have done?.i went to try out my new 308 on a 450 acre patch that i have permission on for Deer and vermin control. As i approached the first field i came across a tractor that belonged to the farmer who's ground i shoot on and his farm hand was hedge trimming the road hedge, i reversed back some 40 yards to let the tractor pull in to let me pass but he just looked at me and dropped the trimmer back in the hedge and carried on cutting , there was a mighty thud and a stone had been thrown up by the trimmer and broke my windscreen, i got out of the car and let the chap know what had happened he said what do you want me to do about it , i replied well i guess you broke it so it's down to you ! i was told nothing i could do it's just one of those things that happens get over it.I went up to see the farmer and explained what had happened he said claim off my insurance, which i done as i had to pay £200 pounds for the new screen. I phoned the farmer and asked for his insurance details and his reply was write a letter to me so i can forward it to my insurance you will have to put in the letter that you hold me responsible for the damage! i said ok thanks very much and thought all was well , a week later after i had sent him my letter and invoice for the damage i get a letter from the farmer telling me he does'nt want me shooting there anymore and never set a foot on any of his land again for any reason. i still havent heard from the insurance company i am £200 out of pocket and lost my ground. And the frustrating thing is over the years i have shot there and other grounds i have loaded the farmer up with Ducks ,Pheasants, Venison, Bottles of Port at Xmas and fish when i have been fishing , and i never got a thank you for any of it.:( :cry:

Did this incident take place on private land or the public highway?

Your letter states that you had permission to shoot Deer and Vermin on that land.
You do not state that you had

a lease or that you paid rent but gave Game etc, etc as appreciation of that permission.
Does your own vehicle insurance not cover such an incident ?
Even if it does not is £200 such a large sum in view of your past sport `over the years`?

Shooting permissions are valuable and I think your approach may have offended the owner.

HWH.

Its harsh but really you should have seen it coming, yes his employee was at fault but in the end it would have come out of his pocket as it wouldn't have been worth claiming. Usually its only £50 if you go through your own insurance and doesn't affect your no claims so i'd probably have worn it.

Its harsh but really you should have seen it coming, yes his employee was at fault but in the end it would have come out of his pocket as it wouldn't have been worth claiming. Usually its only £50 if you go through your own insurance and doesn't affect your no claims so i'd probably have worn it.

+1
1995rs

+1
1995rs

+2
Most policies have a 'broken windscreen' exception whereby you pay a really small contribution ~£50

If you have heaps of stalking land then maybe no worries, but if that was mine i'd have taken it on the chin and got on with it. Most farmers I know are tight fisted (my grandfather was a farmer so I should know ;)), whinging to them would just get their back up and they'd tell one to &@$# off...

Last edited:
Farmers "Tight Fisted" oh the shock of it not sure I can believe that :rolleyes:.

BTW insurance companies re now wanting £75 excess for windscreens it seems. I suppose someone has to pay fr all the "free" repairs.

I must also add exactly what did you expect to happen? :cuckoo:

Have to say I would have been pi**** had a word with the tractor driver, then went about my way. Yes it is £200 but what happens when you are driving along the motorway and the car in front flicks up a stone, would you try stop them to get there insurance details??

Stop whining ,look at the other people on the site that pay a fortune for shooting and stalking in England something you've had for what a few bottles and some duck and game .

Why did you not just do what everyone else does with a broken screen, take it in and have it done pay the excess that's it ,now your arse fencing about with insurance companies ,who will win every time .

I had a screen broken with a stone from a truck , so what paid the excess done and dusted .

So far your on a loss,loss situation ,get it repaired and move on, accidents happen .

There was one up here a walker climbing over a farm gate the gate bat hinge pulled out the gate fell he ripped his trousers he went to the farmer whining about this, and that he was claiming him ,
the farmer said to him why did you not open and walk through the gate as your meant to do .

The insurance company asked the same question he was on to plumbs .the guy ruined it for everyone else the farmer removed every lay by along the roadside now when there hillwalking they have another 3 miles to walk ,some people never stop to look at the bigger picture .

Someone put a hammer into my windscreen when I was parked on a public road in town not so long ago but all I paid was the £80 excess.
I was told that if I had to pay for the screen it would have cost about £600 so I reckon for £200 you got off lightly.
Still a lot to pay out particularly at this time of year.

Really what did you expect, as others have said would have just paid the excess and been done with it,
too many people think they are doing the farmer a favour, they are not there is a big demand for shooting and people, who are prepared to pay good money for it, he will have no problem getting someone else to take it.

Its annoying I know but its not worth getting into a ruck with the landowner over,especially if you don't pay for your shooting, some game and a bottle here and there don't cut it I'm afraid.

At least with a proper written signed lease and money changing hands you have some protection at least until
the expiry of the lease, a lot of shooting leases run for five years, though you pay it yearly with an agreed percentage increase each year, this is a good idea as it can prevent the landowner from hitting you at renewal time with a huge increase.

As I said annoying , but I think you will have learnt a valuable lesson.

Sounds like the farmer was looking for a reason to get rid of you ;) (probably got someone lined up who had offered to pay for the shooting).

Farmers are some of our best bussiness men, when they polute a river and kill fish or an accident occurs to an employee, they put a straw in there mouth and suggest to every one they are simple and didnt know.
When money can be claimed from anyone they take the straw out, pick up their briefcase and claim every subsidy they can get there hands on.
You know now not to get between a farmer and some money.
We have a farmer and when a sheep dies he clips it before he send it to the hunt kennels
I am happy to buy my milk as cheap as i can, given a choise of 2 cartons of milk at the same price, one with a red tractor and on without its up to you which you choose.

Sounds like the farmer was looking for a reason to get rid of you ;) (probably got someone lined up who had offered to pay for the shooting).

So What your saying then if a child or some one was walking the roads and a stone flew up and hit them and at worst killed them they just take it on the chin, that what insurances are for,If not why do people bother to claim waste of time then having insurance. And i just wonder what would of happened if i shot one of his farm animals bet he would'nt take it on the chin.

So What your saying then if a child or some one was walking the roads and a stone flew up and hit them and at worst killed them they just take it on the chin, that what insurances are for,If not why do people bother to claim waste of time then having insurance. And i just wonder what would of happened if i shot one of his farm animals bet he would'nt take it on the chin.

What a daft comparison!

I've worked in liability insurance for the last 37 years, so you are probably not lecturing the right person on what insurance is for.

This post is about balancing risk in general, not insurance risk, but the risk of losing your (free, as such) shooting for the sake of ****ing the farmer off. You took that chance and lost.....

You are starting to sound like the sort of person I wouldn't want on my land if I was a farmer ;)

I'd be perfectly happy to except a broken windscreen at the cost of £200, for 450 acres of land with deer on it. It will cost more than that porobaly to get the eqivulent of land back if your lucky.
It wasn't even perpursely done, accidents do happen. Farmers are shrewd folk and woulndn't be bothered if you left as probaly within 48 hours your slot will be filled.

Well when i said i'll sort out my insurance and then he say's i'll see to it afte rall what do i pay my insurance for. I expected him to do just that

Sorry but I have to agree with all the people that said what did you expect,thats farmers for you mate,if I were you I would ring him and grovel, try to arrange a meeting, turn up with a gallon bottle of scotch, and try to reinstate yourself,but it may be too late im afraid.

I'd be perfectly happy to except a broken windscreen at the cost of £200, for 450 acres of land with deer on it. It will cost more than that porobaly to get the eqivulent of land back if your lucky.
It wasn't even perpursely done, accidents do happen. Farmers are shrewd folk and woulndn't be bothered if you left as probaly within 48 hours your slot will be filled.
Nope picked up 260 yesterday no charge and can shoot the vermin and Deer.

Back