Rebarrel

Some will charge quite a bit more because they don't want to use, in their opinion, inferior barrels !!
I had a Bergara barrel fitted at a third of the price quoted by another well known smith and can't fault it yet, but don't expect it to be faulty in my life time !!
I don't know what part of South means in your avator but if you are south of Scotland then James at Jager SA does a good job at a good price and lives in the Essex area, I think, which is South also if you are talking South of Scotland, so you may be able to pop in and see him.

Neil McKillop aka dasherman would be my first port of call. He keeps a good stock of barrels in all the time.

Neil McKillop aka dasherman would be my first port of call. He keeps a good stock of barrels in all the time.

you pay for what you get, and IMO: Neil is one of the best builders I have come across.

and i don't mind paying his prices as he does what you ask for and suffers no fools.

full respect for the man.

bob.

He doesn't rate Bergara barrels so expect to pay a lot more for the ones he does have.
I don't rate Bergara barrels because 1) the few I have fitted (supplied by customer) were very eccentric bore to outside and 2) they have a very limited range of caliber's/twist rates/profiles.
I've found that keeping several makes of barrels is pointless as 99% of people will choose the more expensive of the ones you have and the other 1% live in Amesbury

Most of the riflesmiths are very good craftsmen of similar ability, the only thing that varies is the price of the items required.
I'm not so well off as some on here so not in a position to just order what I want so have to shop around.
I see no point in spending more money just to get a well known piece of equipment when another not so well known piece will do the job required for half the price.
Bergara can't be too bad as they now have their own rifles on the market and and are proving quite popular also your mate Bob bought one and, being a canny Scot, he doesn't waste money.
Perhaps the ones lioving in Amesbury are a wee bit canny too.
I've no idea where the requirement to suffer fools comes in, maybe an extra ;)

Last edited:
Most of the riflesmiths are very good craftsmen of similar ability, the only thing that varies is the price of the items required.
I'm not so well off as some on here so not in a position to just order what I want so have to shop around.
I see no point in spending more money just to get a well known piece of equipment when another not so well known piece will do the job required for half the price.
Bergara can't be too bad as they now have their own rifles on the market and and are proving quite popular also your mate Bob bought one and, being a canny Scot, he doesn't waste money.
Perhaps the ones lioving in Amesbury are a wee bit canny too.
I've no idea where the requirement to suffer fools comes in, maybe an extra ;)

I cannot comment on Bob's buying habits but his Begara is already up for sale and he's never had a re barrel or had a rifle built by me. To the original poster, you will get prices ranging from £550- £850, the difference is between the people who are doing it full time, paying for a unit with business rates/power/insurance and vat registered, and the ones who are part time, doing it in their shed, have no business insurance and are not declaring it. The other difference is that the full time ones will most likely have a stock of barrels on the shelf ready to fit rather than having to wait while they source you a suitable barrel.

you pay for what you get, and IMO: Neil is one of the best builders I have come across.
and i don't mind paying his prices as he does what you ask for and suffers no fools.

I cannot comment on Bob's buying habits but his Bergara is already up for sale and he's never had a re barrel or had a rifle built by me.

Something doesn't add up there then......:D

Something doesn't add up there then......:D

what Neil may mean is I have not had a bergara barrel fitted buy him. and the reason my bergara is for sale is because I have further health issues and I am no longer taking part in stalking deer and have ne need for the bergara.

I have had a 20 tac built form Neil many years back, :)

I have a newer 20 tac from Neil :)

and my 6mm br was built by Neil but I am its second owner as it was sold to me with just 83/85 shots taken.

and as for (1person) who keeps on about his costs, its very simple shop around and pay what you want, and ill say it again I don't mind paying Neil's prices because I get what I pay for..... quality and craftsmanship.

bob.

A Lothar Walther 1450 barrel costs about 200 euro. I don't know how many days it takes to screw the barrel in the action and properly headpace it?

A Lothar Walther 1450 barrel costs about 200 euro. I don't know how many days it takes to screw the barrel in the action and properly headpace it?

Over here the same barrel costs around £200 and the trade gets a 30% discount so allow for a days work to add to that, it shouldn't cost too much.
As for the implication that I am the 1% that worries about money, well all I can say is that only a fool or a very rich man pays the first price asked without shopping around.
A typical example of my 'worrying about money' saved me 4k and a four month waiting time on my last new car just for shopping around !
Maybe I cought some of the canny -nis off of the folk that live in Amesbury ;)

Last edited:
I don't know, or care, what a LW barrel costs. I do know that, bearing in mind the cost of the barrel, shipping it from America, paying duty and buying the necessary import licence, a Pac Nor is £336.
Add the cost of the rifle smith's time (and a proper job takes more than just a couple of hours), his liability insurance, proof, shipping charges to and from the proof house, buying reamers and machinery and you can see why a quality rebarreling job costs what it does. Or maybe you worked for nothing, EMcC?

If you order as an example an LW stainless 1450 contour barrel for a Sako 75 chambered in 243 with a muzzle thread and 11 degree crown, you get the pricing codes I,Z3,Z3,Z4,and C this equates to 680 euros, plus VAT @ 19% so 809.20 euros and 24 euros shipping.

Grand total of 833.20 or £660.43 at todays rate.

If you can then fit the barrel and headspace it yourself thats a good deal. If you have to send/take it to a gunsmith they will charge you approx £100 to fit and headspace, as well as the need to proof the rifle at a cost of £42 plus carriage both ways at £25 so another £192 bring the total to £852.43 to fit a very average barrel to your rifle.

"and a proper job takes more than just a couple of hours"
'nother internet expert.
Then please share your unlimited experience. And just so you know, my first re-barrel was way before there was an Internet to refer to.

Last edited:
Back