Vehicle Shooting Rest?

Mr. Gain

I'm thinking of getting a shooting rest that (1) will be nice and stable and (2) permit me a less hunched/cramped posture when shooting through the driver's side window of my 4x4.

I've used bags over the window and wing mirror, but didn't really take to them, and I've tried a piece of carpet-covered wood with a slot for the window glass cut into it, but find that -like the bags- it places the rest too close to your body.

I see there's a rest on offer from Arthur Carter/Shoot Right that offers a bit more reach. Does anyone have experience of using one of these and if so, would you recommend it?

Google also shows up something from an outfit called Shooting Systems, but I can't find any evidence of recent activity. Does anyone know if they're still trading, and if the product is any good?

If none of the above...have you found anything better?

TIA

Tired all sorts of rest for shooting out of the window and the best one I have come up with is something I made myself.
Its slots over the door really easy to make and cost nothing, though get yourself some sticky foam to put on the wood to make it a tight fit over the door, I’ve found putting a small ratchet strap around the rest and door makes it even more solid

IMG_0122.jpg

Just took delivery of mine, oh dear !!!! cheap and nasty imo. Apart from the one inch square Aluminium tube that make the upright and rifle rest, the suction assembly, connecters and pivot joints are all plastic, this leaves the whole thing far too flexible and wobbly, it moves around all over the place, especially with a rifle on it. All the pictures on the website with it being used show the overall length of it a lot shorter, this would certainly help, but I reckon it needs some support in the middle to stop the flexing. I will have a go at improving it but I would say to anyone wanting to buy one, save your money!!!!!! At best there is £15 worth of materils and it shows.

Beno's looks a lot better and will certainly be a lot more stable than this offering.

Last edited:
Hi all,

i see see you bin discussing shooting rest for a truck? I made one in 20 mins and it's great really steady and adjustable for different size windows, I'm in the process of make some new ones that I will be £££ if anyone interested. Will try up load some pics

I've had the Shooting Systems rest fitted to my Disco for two years now and think it's a superb platform.

It's very well made. Not superbly finished, I have to say, but by the time you cover it in pipe lagging and tape, you don't see the bowels of it anyway.

Once you've seen the concept, you will say "have I just paid all of that money for that?", but, once fitted and used, you could well find it was money well spent. I know that I did.

George

Had a Arthur Carter rest, not very stable and broke fairly soon.Next i made some m self using four large car roof magnets and some welding, they are really good and very stable. I then bought a landrover which being aluminium doors meant the magnets no longer worked. I recently purchased a shooting system rest and am very impressed.

I'd be interested to see any pics of how people actually position themselves when shooting from the drivers side window. Have tried a few times with .22, off wing mirror etc, but reckon you need to be some kind of contortionist!
Would like to buy / build a rest to use .243 from vehicle, but not going to bother 'til I've worked out where my body fits into the equation!

For christ sake no one else buy the arthur carter rest plz.....its awful, and dangerous in my opinion.
I looked for ages at different vehicle window rests but wanted something that was easily portable and set up in seconds.
A very simple system i use to great effect.
A garden stake or peice of timber say 2-3" thick. Cut to size (the length from just in front of your wing mirror to the back of the front door. Wrap it in pipe lagging. Get a webbing stap with a buckle so you can adust the length when its looped. Loop it over the top of the door frame, through the window and adust the length of the loop using the buckle. Now rest the timber on the wing mirror and through the loop on the strap.
Its heath robinson but works a treat for me. The lagging helps it grip the mirror and strap....never had it fall out yet...and it wont.
Will take a pic or two 2morra

I'd be interested to see any pics of how people actually position themselves when shooting from the drivers side window. Have tried a few times with .22, off wing mirror etc, but reckon you need to be some kind of contortionist!
Would like to buy / build a rest to use .243 from vehicle, but not going to bother 'til I've worked out where my body fits into the equation!

If your solo, try putting a padded board (plank) between the passenger seat headrest and the dashboard, then you should be able to shoot out of the passenger window in comfort, or buy a LHD

Never had a problem myself...... But then I am left handed. :rofl:
A major minority doncha know, us lefties.

Only time my mate and I lamp out of a vehicle is after harvesting, the rest of the year is on foot, get out and walk you lazy lot :rolleyes:

If your solo, try putting a padded board (plank) between the passenger seat headrest and the dashboard, then you should be able to shoot out of the passenger window in comfort, or buy a LHD

^this!
unless you are left handed shooting out the UK drivers window is a faff

went lamping with a leftie friend
he drove, I rode shotgun
perfect combo and we had all angles covered

I made one for a pal for his 110 used an old ladder wall rest and a bit of bending to fit door shape some pipe foam job done two old bungee's sorted for under £30 .one of this type i put mesh bag or a hard plastic shelf for any thing like a hand held light etc happy happy days
ae235

Back