Bullfinches

jimbo1984

Hi gents has anybody here kept or bred bullfinches? I've just built an aviary and am after keeping them

Many thanks

​Jim

They will not be difficult to keep but there are many rules and regulations regarding them as they are a protected species.
I believe there is a British Bird Breeders Association so try to get more information there.
Also Cage and Aviary Birds weekly magazine contains much information.

I myself have bred Parrakeets and Budgerigars since 1956 and understand their DNA and genetic profiling.

I bred 86 youngsters last year and 94 the previous year, currently I have 6 chicks in the nests with more due to hatch.

Birdkeeping is a grand hobby and my birds show me a handsome profit over the calendar year .

HWH.

I am sure if you look in Cage and Aviary you can get captive bred of most of the UK finch and other species.

As a kid i had a bullfinch with a broken wing, he became very tame and would sit on my shoulder and take sunflower seeds from from my fingers.

​Moose

Last edited:
Yep along with many other british finches and border canaries. Bull finches are lovely birds to keep and for me were only second to the hawfinches.
They are very territorial and aggressive so if you keep them in an aviary then you lose the hole space. I'd keep them in a large run and use the aviary for a collect of other that will co exist nicely like siskins, goldfinches, greenfinches and redpolls. Its an expensive hobby and cats can cost you a lot of cash. worth considering keeping a few fith canaries too as they make excellent foster birds for incubating eggs.

Good luck, its been many years since i kept birds and do miss it.
Worth visiting the national cage and aviary show at the nec to get some idea of what available and full cost etc.

Perfectly legal and no I will Definately NOT be capturing them from the wild ill be buying captive birds

Why is the first assumption that the initial poster wants to aquire Bullfinches illegally!
A perfectly reasonable request starts to turn into a lecture, very disappointed .

There are a couple of British Bird forums which can be found easily enogh with google. They may well have some in the for sale sections.

I used to keep British finches many years ago when I was a kid and the thought still appeals to me now but I do not have the time to spend on them. I used to keep goldies, greenfinch, siskin, redpoll and bullfinch. Never had much success (except for with green finches) as I think I spent too much time tinkering around when they were breeding when all they needed was peace and quiet.

I kept them (along with our UK finches) for about 15 years - ABCR and you are good to go.

They are easy to get to build and lay - but then things become tricky, once hatched the females have a tendency to throw the chicks out (Daily!) as she keeps the nest clean - I found it far more effective to remove the eggs, replacing them with dummies until full clutch laid and then putting the eggs under canaries. I would occasionally let them try and rear their own or canaries - but they are poor parents.

Greens and Goldies on the other hand lay and rear easily. Chaffinch were also difficult and Linnets were just like canaries.our

Good luck with your venture, you will need a well planted aviary with some secluded spots for them to nest - I found wire ledges in evergreens were readily accepted as nest sights - they never once built in nest pans (Unlike the rest)

Mike

I used to keep them many years ago along with siskins goldfinches chaffinches.
great hobby very rewarding and was only speaking to the wife at the start of the year about this! British bird council will be able to help with advice and breeders in your area. Good luck

​Dw

i used to keep bullfinches along with goldfinch greenfinch linnet redpoll sisken all in a very large avery ,not once did the bullys offer to sit a clutch ,stunning birds legal to keep ,to buy or sell they have to be closed rung , you can [to the best of my knowledge keep them unrung ,ie you have breed them yourself and left it to late to close ring them ], at least thats what was the law when i had them , also crossed various british birds with cannaries , they make cracking singers ,great hobby and try to keep them as natural as poss ,like giving them seasonal wild seeds ,meadow sweet ,thistle,even hawthorn buds was a favorite , let us no how you get on ,arron.

Yes you can keep them but they have to be registered with the British bird breeder association. Very difficult to breed. Plus you have to ring the young chicks at only a few days old and register them. I used to show foreign birds. Fantastic hobby but kiss your holidays good bye as you have to find someone you can trust to feed them.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Chaffinch cock.
HWH.
RoeandJimmyDay001.jpg

Back