do you think there are as many foxes?

Tam16

Just wondering what your views are on the number of foxes. are you seeing as many as usual, more or less of years gone by? as I have the shooting on about 6000 acres in the Scottish Borders both forestry and farmland and dont seem to be seeing as many as years gone by and I am out at least once a week with lamp.

Thanks in advance.

i have nowhere nr that amount of ground to shoot over. but defo alot less foxes about then i see and shot this time last year

Last edited:
we seem to have a lot again,it seems the more i shoot the more they come,but thats fine by me

i dont think the poulation fluctuates a lot.Last year we did not see many but i put that down to the rabbits having myxy.The more rabbits we have the more foxes we have.Think the foxes just move with the food
Another thing is that if there is a lot of lamping going on in the area they sometimes get to know what you are at and disappear before you even get a chance to put a lamp on them so you dont see them but they are still there

I have had 4 in 3 weeks in within a 400 meter radius of each other and there is still at least one more because I have seen it at all different times of the day but never with a gun in my hand!!!!

I have had 4 in 3 weeks in within a 400 meter radius of each other and there is still at least one more because I have seen it at all different times of the day but never with a gun in my hand!!!![/QUOTE
]Have you managed to call one in with the Foxpro yet?

me and my mate have had 7 in about 4 weeks , thought that was all of them .. on about 600 acres , went beating on saturday and 2 ran out of the game cover. They say when u kill 1 4 come to the funrual . Is a foxpro one of thouse digital things ,,, never used 1 . are they any good?

me and my mate have had 7 in about 4 weeks , thought that was all of them .. on about 600 acres , went beating on saturday and 2 ran out of the game cover. They say when u kill 1 4 come to the funrual . Is a foxpro one of thouse digital things ,,, never used 1 . are they any good?

Yes, digital caller. I asked Martin because he's just bought one the same as mine. I've had a lot of good results using them especiallt in a baited area. Can set the caller in the area you want to shoot(my remote wrks out to 200 yards easily with a clear line of sight) so the fox aint looking in your direction or getting your scent if down wind. Not cheap but effective.

Hi, Steve,

Only been out with it twice and no results, the 2nd out was too windy, I couldnt hear the caller and i was 75 yards away.
Plan to be out with it this week though.
Only problem I have found is, I cant run the Foxpro programming utility you down load. I have Apple mac and it wont run the thing, so at moment have to use the calls the unit came with.
It doesnt half bring in the crows and rooks though, magic.

Hi, Steve,

Only been out with it twice and no results, the 2nd out was too windy, I couldnt hear the caller and i was 75 yards away.
Plan to be out with it this week though.
Only problem I have found is, I cant run the Foxpro programming utility you down load. I have Apple mac and it wont run the thing, so at moment have to use the calls the unit came with.
It doesnt half bring in the crows and rooks though, magic.

Double check that there isnt a mac version. If not you can still access the sd card directly and move sounds on and off yourself, the program just makes it very easy. Yeah when its very windy you may struggle to hear it but the noise still travels in the direction of the wind. There are a few good calls on the standard card, the jack rabbit in particular has wored ok for me. I find that knocking the volume down once you see one witjhin 150 - 200 yards does help, they dont like it too loud. Good luck. let me know when you have your first.

Just wondering what your views are on the number of foxes. are you seeing as many as usual, more or less of years gone by? as I have the shooting on about 6000 acres in the Scottish Borders both forestry and farmland and dont seem to be seeing as many as years gone by and I am out at least once a week with lamp.

Thanks in advance.

Probably due to the amount that i shot for you last winter:lol:

100yd chest shot.jpg
Got this dog last night seems to be plenty around West Lothian.Plenty of lamp shy ones though, I think the smaller farms dosen't help.

We had 12 out of a 300acre block of maize when the chopper came in to clear it. Great sport if you can get 6 good guns together.

I was seeing more foxes on my permissions this year than normal. You will notice that I said "WAS", there's not quite so many now as I have "accounted for" over 40 this year. They seemed to breed that bit earlier this year and the cubs also seemed to do a little better than other years and matured a month or so earlier! Maybe it's something in the Lancashire air!:lol:

Seem to be a lot more around us than this time last year. Last time out, my son cam with us for the first time; to temper hsi excitement I warned him that we may not even SEE a fox. By the time we'd seen 4, he must have thought we had a breeding programme in place or summat.....:-|

The bad news was that I couldn't get a shot off at a single one of them - no safe backstop, wouldn't stop fidgeting around, etc.:doh:

We'll hopefully nail 'em tonight.......:D

Back