Peruke Roe Heads.

Blackrider

What's the view on these ?
Personally, I'm not really fond of them but I know many are, I much prefer a pair of symetrical antlers.

What's the thinking behind them as far as a "Trophy" is concerned, is it the rarity value ?

I have only ever encountered a perruque in 40+ years of stalking and that was on call out to the scene of a DVC. If encountered the animal should be humanely despatched ASAP, safe shot/backstop permitting. Due to their rarity I do not have any issues with them being mounted as mementos/trophies, but never at the expense of delaying the coup de gras for purely "financial reasons"

Forgive the additional post but I did this week have chance to see and examine a pair of fine Peruke Roe buck heads fully and very professionally mounted.

Still not convinced by them !

I have only ever encountered a perruque in 40+ years of stalking and that was on call out to the scene of a DVC. If encountered the animal should be humanely despatched ASAP, safe shot/backstop permitting. Due to their rarity I do not have any issues with them being mounted as mementos/trophies, but never at the expense of delaying the coup de gras for purely "financial reasons"
I've never had one in the sights so I cant say how I would react but as a Trophy, I'm not sure I would want to claim it ?

It is an unfortunate condition that can hinder an animal for sure and i have never seen one in the wild. I do however have a growing fascination for roe antlers and the weird and wonderful shapes they grow in. Yes i would keep it for the rarity value. Same as if i shot an antlered doe or a freak head. Letting it grow first before shooting is perhaps morraly wrong though considering that it is an unfavourable condition. I heard somewhere that it is a trait often associated with a flaw/damage to the testicles. Can anyone fill the gaps with this?

Last edited:
It is an unfortunate condition that can hinder an animal for sure and i have never seen one in the wild. I do however have a growing fascination for roe antlers and the weird and wonderful shapes they grow in. Yes i would keep it for the rarity value. Same as if i shot an antlered doe or a freak head. Letting it grow first before shooting is perhaps morraly wrong though considering that it is an unfavourable condition. I heard somewhere that it is a trait often associated with a flaw/damage to the testicles. Can anyone fill the gaps with this?

An antlered Roe doe which I shot many years ago.
The velvet came off whilst boiling the head.
HWH.

image.jpg
Heres one we had on the NGO stand at this years game fair,
don't know weather it's coincidence or something in the blood of the roe in that area because the abnormal monster next to it both came from the same place.
The abnormal head was measured by a cic judge and it scored 289 points,

Last edited:
I shot a peruke many years ago. I kept the head as its not a thing you see or shoot every day.

Back