100 gr 243 for Howa?

The Lucky Hunter

haig8uk

Can anyone recommend a factory 100 grain bullet that shoots well in a 243 Howa 1500 sporter? Thinking of using mine on the does/hinds over the winter.

swampy

100gr bullets

I can recomend hornadies 100 gr interlock (part number 2450) how it shoots in your howa i can't be sure. it should be ok.

swampy

User00004

Distinguished Member
Federal Powershok 100gr worked well in my .243, due to difficulties with getting it I now reload........

Offroad Gary

rws t-mantel was good in my .243 (not a howa though) the federal stuff was cheaper but didnt group quite as tightly.

TonyC

100g for HOWA

I have recently bought a 1500 HOWA and I have been using Privi with decent results, then tried Hornady Interlock 100gr BTSP and I'm very pleased - much better with initial groupings under 1" and where I want them.

Just put the first batch of 100gr home loads through at the weekend and I still need to work on them to replicate the Hornady results.

Tonyc

haig8uk

Thanks for the feed back folks. Tony C, does your Howa have the 22 or 24 inch barrel and do you use it with a moderator?

TonyC

HOWA

Hi

I've got the 22 inch barrel and I use a Ase Ultra Jet Z Compact moderator which makes it a compact unit (I have an old Tasco Titan 3x9x42 mounted on low mounts).
I have been pleasantly suprised with the HOWA even though in my opinion it is a budget weapon and I bought it as a bit of a lightweight back up for my Mannlicher 25-06.

Regards
Tony

haig8uk

Tony
I'll give the interlocks a go. I struggled with 100g federal bullets when I first got the rifle a year or so ago, I put that down to a wonky B&C stock flexing excessively but also concluded that it maybe didn't like 100gr's. I've got it in a wild dog stock with a T8 attached now though have kept it in the gun cabinet with just occaisional fox outing with lighter bullets, using my SAKO 6.5x55 for all my stalking. Planning to downsize to one centrefire rifle, If I can get the Howa shooting well with 100g I'll be keeping it and selling the SAKO.

Have you tried the interlocks on deer yet, any problems with meat damage?

TonyC

HOWA 1500

Unfortunately not yet, last weeks kills were with the mannlicher - head shots using 100gr noslers (BT).

I am keen to try the HOWA on roes asap but I do not anticipate any real major carcase damage. I'll let you know what happens.

Tony

swampy

meat damage

the interlocks were ok damage wise, a lot depends on where you put the shot of course.

swampy

swampy

further thoughts

I have a ruger m77 mk 2 it has a 1 in 8 twist rate. so according to the books it should be ok for up to 107 gr bullets....... wrong. 100 gr hornadies give ACCEPTABLE accuracy of 1.5 inch. at 100 yards. but it is far, far more accurate with 95 gr partitions. Speer do a 90 gr hot cor which is maybe a bit lighter than ideally you might like however they are a great bullet and are quite robustly constructed as a deer bullet. hinds are a big animal, you need a bullet to expand well and stay together well from a .243. in my opinion (and i know others will disagree) this is the top line for a .243's use. so a more "premium" bullet like a partition might be the way forward. I have always found that the hotcor perform excellantly on game. no core seperation and nice mushroom shaped bullets in the 2 i have recovered from deer and the ones i have recovered from a rotten log. picture below.

DSCF1306.jpg

bearing in mind we have been discussing .223 bullets with DL and suggesting a 60 gr partition for roe then i think a 90 or 95 gr partition, or a 90 gr hotcor would be ok. I was speaking to a stalker of manyyears experience the other day. he is using the 90 gr hotcor for deer from his 243.

I have a .243 a 7mm08 and a 30-06. when i go out for deer i almost always pick up the 7mm. sometimes the 30-06, very rarely the .243.

I hope this ramble helps

swampy

haig8uk

I couldn't get a hold of any interlocks but did get some good groupings (for me!) about an inch with SAKO twinhead 100 gr and Remington corelokt 100 gr at 100m. My gut feeling is that lighter bullets would shoot tighter and I've got some 80gr Speer spbt's I'll try out after the hind's. Any recommended loads for this bullet?

swampy

80 gr

HAIG,
80 gr is a very light bullet. especially to consider use on hinds :cry: . the Sako twin head is loaded with nosler partition. :lol:

if you use 80 gr you will get lots of damage and much worse knock down ability. 90 or 95 witha good bullet is onething but 80 gr.....

the speer spbt are not bonded and will expand far faster.

this is where my opinion about calibre selection differ with lots of the other guys on the forum. i believe we should look at what we want to shoot, and i mean look at the toughest thing we want to shoot. look for a bullet suitable for it and a velocity we require then look for a "delivery system", choose a calibre that the wieght we want to deliver is mid range.

so in this case: i want to shoot red hinds- i need to deliver 130 - 165 gr bullet at 2800 fps at 100 yards. i want a rifle that has a twist rate and calibre to deliver this. i will need .260 rem to .30-06 sprg. (or one of the hundreds of chamberings in between).

however, this is not what you asked! with the .243 if you can get 1.5 inch groups go with a heavier bonded or locked soft point bullet.

swampy

haig8uk

Mmm, food for thought Swampy. Obviously I wouldn't be using the Speer 80g for anything other than roe; 100g minimum up here for anything bigger than roe. However, I would want to avoid any uneccesary meat damage. Maybe stick with either of the SAKO or corelokt. Do you think the speer 80g spbt would be better used with foxes?

swampy

foxes

Hi Haig,
Yes i would use it for foxing. take a note of the difference in your scope settings though. you don't want to rezero every time! I use just the hornady 100gr for fox and occasionally deer..... but when they have all gone i intended to load a lighter bullet for foxing. but my cousin is taking the rifle on loan at the weekend so i won't need to worry about that. I wonder how long he will will stick with it, he is shooting big fallow in the woods of southern england.

swampy

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Haig,

100 grain bullets from a 243 will kill Sika and Red hinds no problem at all. I have some 100 grain Hornady Interlocks and some 105 gr that I have yet to try, but I use Interlocks in my 6.5 with excellent results so I expect no problems with the 100 grainers. The 105's may or may not stabilise depends on the rifle I realise the twist rate may not be exact but it could be close enough to make them work, we shall see. At present I am using up some Speer BT's with 43 grains of H4350, they are accurate and do the job well.

I am not a big fan of swapping different weight bullets for different quarry and if I take my 243 foxing I use the 100 grainers. That way the scope and everything else stays the same it is just the target that is different. I like to use one round I know to be accurate and reliable without having to change settings on anything. Plus if you are out after roe up here and a sika or red turn up instead you are ready for them.

That's just the way I do it of course, each to his own.

John

snowstorm

Swampy's post is interesting, I have a 1:9 twist 243 and in theory it should be OK to go up to 100gr and was toying about with the idea. I was going to use the Hornadies as well, at an inch long they should be OK in 1:9.

Might stick with the 87 gr now rather than be stuck with a load of 100gr heads I can't use.

Shame you can't buy them in tens.

Leica Amplus 6