15-4-2019 Medical Fee Latest from Been Already Shafted Cheers (BASC)

B&W FOX

Just found the following information on the BASC site regarding work they have been doing regarding medical fees and licence renewals.

• Members of BASC’s firearms team met representatives from Fit2Drive, regarding the possibility of them supplying medical verifications in the firearms licensing process.
On further investigation looking on FIT2DRIVE website I see that they charge £55 per applicant for a medical which seems OK until you come across :

Fit 2 Drive Medicals offers plant operator medicals, which fall under the name of a Safety Critical Medical.
More and more companies now are asking for these medicals in order for you to carry out work on the site in question. There is two types of medicals Fit 2 Drive Medicals can offer and this is determined purely by the site you have been instructed to work on.
If you require a Safety Critical standard medical then the fee for this medical will be £120. This more in depth medical involves.
  • Audiometry
  • Colour Vision assessment
  • Spirometry
  • Flexibility assessment
  • Medical questionnaire with declaration
Please note theses medicals can only be carried out at certain number of our centres in the UK.

Then it becomes blatantly clear that for a "Medical Declaration" the fee rises to £120.

So whilst BASC is still meddling in the whole Medical Fee Fiasco, those of us that don't get charged or have paid a nominal fee for their GP report with renewals, could now get really shafted due to the organization interfering that is supposed to be supporting us.
They really know how to burn boats in Wrexham

On a security issue all personal data on certificate holders will then be held by some two bit medical company. Awesome.

kes

I am sorry to say this but after having tried and failed, BASC is incompetent and unworthy of the trust of shooters but then, it does provide shoot insurance.

Those who seek insurance and do not accurately measure the success of BASC, fund a lazy and inept organisation which is damaging shooting and which will lead to its own demise at the same time we lose the right to shoot. A dictatorial monopoly which owns wildfowling, tried to own pigeon shooting, makes servants of game shoots, suppliers etc, I cannot, nor will I again, count and explain the failures and the lost opportunities, its simply too shocking.

Koenig

I am not trying to rub people’s noses in it, but I’ve never been charged anything by my GP either in Herts or Wilts and yet they charge for any other type of report. So much for a national uniform approach. Whilst I am not moaning (obviously) I wonder how much longer it will last. Surely it’s not beyond the grasp of BASC to get a grip of this?

slider

In Scotland the police have taken the approach that they will not issue a certificate unless the GP procedure has been completed. A few practices don't charge, some are in the low tens of £, the highest reported is £220 and a few "concession objecters" simply refuse to sign the forms

sauer

Next question .....

These Medicals no different to a medical I do for my work in offshore industry but they do not address any
“ psychological” Issues which someone may have present.

Any of these Medicals are all physiological based

Doctor could ask you how you are ?
You say yup I’m good .... he doesn’t know you from Adam .... sees your “ physically” ok signs the form .

The police are looking for ( I assume) mental suitability to hold SGC & firearms certs.

Will they accept this “ 3rd party” medical certificates when really they looking for your GP file to have a marker put on it & any issues to be flagged up .

I suppose you could say same about your own doctor who may not know you from Adam and many will go and not say anything about issues they may have mentally etc.

Paul

CarlW

Next question .....

These Mexicali’s no different to a medical I do for my work in offshore industry but they do not address any
“ psychological” Issues which someone may have present.

Any of these Medicals are all physiological based

Doctor could ask you how you are ?
You say yup I’m good .... he doesn’t know you from Adam .... sees your “ physically” ok signs the form .

The police are looking for ( I assume) mental suitability to hold SGC & firearms certs.

Will they accept this “ 3rd party” medical certificates when really they looking for your GP file to have a marker put on it & any issues to be flagged up .

I suppose you could say same about your own doctor who may not know you from Adam and many will go and not say anything about issues they may have mentally etc.

Paul
Presumably these third-party doctors will be asked to review your medical record and then to provide the police with a standard-form statement that (based on that record) they see no reason to prevent you from owning firearms.

sauer

Presumably these third-party doctors will be asked to review your medical record and then to provide the police with a standard-form statement that (based on that record) they see no reason to prevent you from owning firearms.
I doubt that they will be reviewing my medical records for price of £120 .

Who can access your medical records and what’s the procedure for doing so ?

I imagine that would be a slow process even if allowed to let a 3rd party access to my records

I know that they offshore Medicals run independently and nothing to do with your own records at a GP

Paul

oowee

A review of records is all that's likely to be required if anything. I now have online access to mine just in case I need to send them anywhere. My daughter reckons it costs the the practice around £80 to get the records and review them, and write a response. If there was an independent agency that might provide this service as a routine (only where required) then it seems to me that might be helpful where people are refused a report or where the cost is exorbitant. Lets not knock BASC for trying.