Sold: 15 Spaces In The WTP/GDMG Deer Management Group: £1300p/a; 50,000acres; S. Yorkshire to Scotland.

Could I ask a run down of your “Assesment day”?
So the Assessment Day is our Publicly Sensitive Site Management Course (PSSMC) condensed ... with a skills test tagged on to it.

The PSSMC is a course, with a small assessment (practical and written) at the end (but there is quite a lot of interaction throughout).
This covers:
1.What is a Publicly Sensitive Site “sensitive site”
2.Measuring Sensitivity
3.Strategies (off site)
4.[Tea-Break]
5.Strategies (on site)
6.Behavior
7.Equipment
8.[Lunch]
9.Case Studies/Worked Example

The Skills Test is a slightly more difficult/different version of the standard DSC1 skills test (varying positions) - its only up to 100m.

Did anyone get lucky enough to get contacted back?
We had 100+ applications
30 had phone interviews
(About 10 didn’t answer when we tried to contact back via phone/email)
20 in Person/Teams calls

We’re waiting on one persons confirmation now. Then we will clear down with feedback any who have not been contacted.

Apologies for the delay.

I would have thought that on publicly sensitive land you generally charge for management rather than pay for the opportunity. Presumably local government owned land. At least, that’s in my world how it ‘should be’ 😆

I would have thought that on publicly sensitive land you generally charge for management rather than pay for the opportunity. Presumably local government owned land. At least, that’s in my world how it ‘should be’ 😆
There are currently varying arrangements in place and varying "sensitivity"; and you are 100% correct - this should be the case...
There are collections of ground owned/managed by organisations/agents etc, SOME which are not publicly sensitive.

For the more sensitive sites there is a longish lead in time, in terms of experience, that's what the Group hopes to bring (hence the progression) we would not be exposing new members to these sites straight away.

There is significant change happening in the deer industry at the moment; however quickly this progresses it will still take a while to embed. For landowners, where changes have directly lead to removal of "traditional" syndicates, the jump from income -> straight to expense is one they are often unwilling to make. Also - in general - budgets are under significant pressure at the moment, even where funding is available the manager is looking to maximise income for the owner. By making these spaces available we are hoping to give a wider experience to the right people who can then contribute further as they progress.

Last edited:
Public sensetive land could be privately owned woodland with high prevalence of human traffic through footpath mountain bike use or dog walking

Maybe bird watching too

Ask me how I know ,,,,,

Back