17 hmr Barrel Rods ?

Simon63

Can anybody recommend a good quality brand of barrel rod for the 17hmr. I've seen lots of cheap stuff on the Fleabay and Amazon, many with poor reviews.
Before anyone starts recommending bore snakes,although useful in a cleaning kit ....don't push out blockages!

Recommendations please

Essex stalker

I use bore tech and have never had an issue, think the actual name on it is Bore Tech V-Stix
i got mine from rifle craft

JC43

I got a cheap three piece brass set off E- Bay,Aluminium also available,it comes in a short plastic box , I leave it in the truck,had to use it a couple of times on stuck bullets.

Ttocs

Who makes/sells carbon fibre rods. The idea of carbon fibre appeals though extreme care would need to be taken to ensure no grit or metal particles became embedded in the rod as this would certainly be more abaraisive than polished stainless.
Ttocs

Essex stalker

Its also a good idea to use a good bore guide to prevent damage when the rod is inserted. The Shooting Shed make some very nice ones from aluminium

bluesako

pro shot or tipton rods all the way, buy a good one it will last you a long time, dont buy cheap ones they are nasty. and get good jags also.dave.

Simon63

Having read all the comments, for which I thank you all. I think a few interesting points have come out, a good ball bearing handle to allow the rod to twist with the rifle groove is important. That it should be one piece, that a bore guide be used where possible. Although many do recommend the Tipton Carbon, I feel a heavier high grade stainless steel may be more practical. Not Aluminium, as a metal being less Nobel than the bore its cleaning could possibly leave particles due to its corrosive nature;which could have an adverse effect. So far the VFG and Bore tech both appear good options to investigate further.

zambezi

Can anybody recommend a good quality brand of barrel rod for the 17hmr. I've seen lots of cheap stuff on the Fleabay and Amazon, many with poor reviews...

I bought one of the cheaper units and have been delighted with performance and longevity. The fact that the rod is brass rather than steel means light contact with the barrel is unlikely to be an issue.

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/gun-care--lubes-barrel-cleaning/ckit-standard-barrel-cleaning-kit-[.177][.22].html

Simon63

Just been looking on JSRamsbottom site, only two options, the Buffalo .17 which doesnt have a swivel handel and the Tuff, which looks nice, but does this .177 cleaning rod fits a 17HMR?

Also, just to add to the cleaning regime....... .177 airgun pellet cleaning felts work a treat. Being slightly oversized fit .17 then push through for a clean barrel, not need for brushes or cloth.

zambezi

Just been looking on JSRamsbottom site, only two options, the Buffalo .17 which doesnt have a swivel handel and the Tuff, which looks nice, but does this .177 cleaning rod fits a 17HMR?

The unit I have definitely has a swivel handle which is, for me, a must have on any rifle cleaning rod as you can better control forward pressure as you pass brush/jag through bore. It would be wise to confirm with vendor if the .17 Tuff model they currently offer is still .17HMR appropriate.